What's new

AV Receiver video signal handling (1 Viewer)

Don_K

Agent
My AV receiver... admittedly a low-end model... passes the video signal to the TV in the same "format" as the source signal. That is, a component video input requires that I have a component video input on the TV, same for composite and S-video. Is this a limitation of my receiver, or will some models "magically" route the video through a single output? My S-video DBS signal could be routed to the TV thru the component video output.

:confused:

Thanks

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Some higher model receivers can take a composite video input and convert it into an S-Video signal. However, I know of no receiver or product that can take a composite or S-Video signal and turn it into a component signal.

It sounds like you will need to hook up multiple video inputs to your TV to get the results you want.

Don_K

Agent
Thanks -J.Fo

I suspected that, but was hoping for some "magic."

Don't mind dealing with multiple inputs on the TV, but to paraphrase the wife:

"Why can't I just watch the $%^&*() TV without this pile of remote controls?"

:angry:

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

At least your fingers get SOME exercise....., and you gotta be able to move your arms to reach through all those remotes..... :D

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
>>> "Why can't I just watch the $%^&*() TV without this pile of remote controls?"

What you need is a second VCR and a second DVD player (not necessarily the top grade). Connect these using composite or S-video directly to the TV, audio jacks too. I trust that with your receiver you are using only a small number of the TV's input banks.

Then those family members who don't want to mess with a pile of remotes can turn things on more easily.

They also make DVD player and VCR combos.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Don_K

Agent
One solution might be to get a "programmable" remote control? Something with a graphical user interface and works kinda like a PDA? Choices are simple: I want to watch TV, I want to listen to a CD, I want to watch a DVD. Is there such a device? It could select the TV input, the AV receiver mode, and control the DVD player, Replay TV box (it controls the DBS receiver, but not without some ugly moments) -- the whole nine yards?

Neil G

Auditioning
Some higher model receivers can take a composite video input and convert it into an S-Video signal. However, I know of no receiver or product that can take a composite or S-Video signal and turn it into a component signal.
The new Yamaha series of of receivers can do video switching from s-vid to component and vice verca. A few stores I've been to say this is the only brand that offer this right now, but the other brands will follow.
They also say, "don't feed the video signal through the receiver, connect video direcly to the TV and you won't degrade the picture".

Don_K

Agent
Thanks everyone. What I'm hearing is...

With a good programmible remote and sufficient inputs on the TV, I can dumb things down for users. That will save my marriage! :D

Bypassing the receiver's video switching offers a potentially better picture. :) Thus the reference above about the TV having suffficient video inputs... One for each video component.

Probably a subject for a separate thread but, I read a theory that passing the DBS output to the TV via coax rather than S-Video could give a better picture, because the TV "probably" has better video processing circuitry than the DBS receiver?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Don, for ease-of-use my suggestion is:

- Run SVideo from EVERYTHING to your receiver. Use a cheap $20 Composite-to-SVideo converter for the old VCR.

- Run 1 SVideo from the receiver to the TV.

Now the system is simple to use. Just turn on the TV/receiver and use the receiver remote to switch between things. It takes care of both the audio and video switching.

If you have component devices that you really, really want hooked up this way, run component cables directly to the TV (yes, in addition to the SVideo cables going to the receiver). For critical watching, you can take the extra step of flipping to the component input on the TV. Just be sure to put it back to 'see' the SVideo feed from the receiver for the family to use.

Don_K

Agent
Thanks Bob. Right now I only have a single S-Video on the TV... It's about 12 years old, so I'm thankful to have that one. Thus I'm stuck with using the receiver to switch the DBS, DVD, and Super VHS. I was thinking ahead a bit about the connections when I replace the TV.

Agustin

Agent
good luck man, i think its hard to handle all the conections.

i got the same trouble like you and put the audio in the receiver and the video on the tv direct

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks