What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (3 Viewers)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Saying it was zoomed-in is an understatement.

Here's a scan from a 35mm trailer comparing it to the DVD image:

deadlymantis3.jpg

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Oh you think 1956-1957 is bad? I've just learnt Hammer are including an open matte version of Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell on their UK Blu-ray along with the (also likely incorrect) 1.66:1 version. It was one thing when they did it with The Curse of Frankenstein and The Mummy, both from the late 50s, but this is a 1973 film. Get real Hammer.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
I'm fairly certain that their Blu-ray of The Quatermass Xperiment released in Australia is 1.37:1, with no alternative widescreen presentation. If anyone has it I'd appreciate a confirmation.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm wondering if short subjects from the UK went Wide Screen at a later date than their feature films.

I just purchased a great collection of British 30 minute dramatic shorts entitled "SCOTLAND YARD"
( I remember seeing these shorts in the Cinema here in Australia during the 50s and 60s - they may have been distributed here by 20th Century Fox )
This 7 disc DVD box set contains all of the 39 B&W shorts and the quality is excellent throughout.

All the shorts starting from Feb '53 until Feb '59 are 1.37:1 ( 4:3 ) whereas those dating Dec '59 through to June '61 are Widescreen 1.66:1 (Anamorphic)
I would have thought that all the shorts in this set would have been compiled and transferred from film together, so the different ratio is interesting. Maybe those ones transferred at 1.66:1 were hard mat.

sy2.jpg
sy1.jpg

Amazing how your tastes change. I hated these as a kid but now I think they are a Hoot.
Interesting to see many British character actors early in their careers.

Doug.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
EddieLarkin said:
I'm fairly certain that their Blu-ray of The Quatermass Xperiment released in Australia is 1.37:1, with no alternative widescreen presentation. If anyone has it I'd appreciate a confirmation.
I don't have it but that's the case.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Bob, what about Let it Be? Which version would be the best to release on Blu-Ray? The fullscreen 16mm print, or the 35mm 1.85:1 print (Uncropped, unlike the 1981 video versions)?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Honestly, research would need to be done to determine the filmmakers intent during principal photography.

If it was planned as a TV special, I would say 1.37:1.

If it was planned for theatrical, then it was most likely composed for 1.75:1 which was the prevalent UK standard at the time.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:
I'm wondering if short subjects from the UK went Wide Screen at a later date than their feature films.

I just purchased a great collection of British 30 minute dramatic shorts entitled "SCOTLAND YARD"
( I remember seeing these shorts in the Cinema here in Australia during the 50s and 60s - they may have been distributed here by 20th Century Fox )
This 7 disc DVD box set contains all of the 39 B&W shorts and the quality is excellent throughout.

Doug.
Thanks for letting me know these existed. I love these type of shorts and just ordered a set.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm pleased to announce that my new article, THE FIRST YEAR OF WIDESCREEN PRODUCTION, is now on our website. It covers every feature - and most of the live action shorts - that were composed for widescreen in 1953. Hopefully, it will help to dispel many of the myths associated with this era.

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-first-year-of-widescreen

The article took nearly a year to put together with a great deal of research and fact-checking in order to insure accuracy. I hope that you enjoy it.

Please share the article so that more people will understand this turbulent period of transition within the industry.

Thank you very much!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
ahollis said:
Thanks for letting me know these existed. I love these type of shorts and just ordered a set.
Good for you Allen.

The picture and sound quality of this set is strong all the way through. Especially the later 1.66:1 episodes.

Going by my diary I saw at least 5 of them at the Cinema and they always supported a 20th Century Fox Main Feature, hence my believing them to be associated with Fox. ( Eg. the "Burning Caravan" short supported the Fox Cinemascope production "Soldier of Fortune" )
The opening narration on all of them is done with a fake American accent leaving me to believe they were searching for a US release.

Of course they are corny and with a small budget but they are always entertaining and very well made.
I spotted several character actors who would go on and appear in many British movies and TV series.

I hope you enjoy them Allen.

Doug.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bob, to say this looks fantastic would be an understatement.

I just took a quick look and the amount of research, detailed notes, stills, posters, etc., it's mind-blowing. I can't wait to sit down and spend more than a few minutes looking at the entire piece.

Well done, sir!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Bob Furmanek said:
I'm pleased to announce that my new article, THE FIRST YEAR OF WIDESCREEN PRODUCTION, is now on our website. It covers every feature - and most of the live action shorts - that were composed for widescreen in 1953. Hopefully, it will help to dispel many of the myths associated with this era.http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-first-year-of-widescreenThe article took nearly a year to put together with a great deal of research and fact-checking in order to insure accuracy. I hope that you enjoy it.Please share the article so that more people will understand this turbulent period of transition within the industry.Thank you very much!
WOW!!!!!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Brandon Conway was kind enough to supply DVD and Blu-ray release information for the films from that year.

Sometime in the next few days, I'm going to post a list here of the titles that are available and the aspect ratio.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you, Steve. I look forward to your reaction.

Just to cover all bases, I've posted it on the Criterion forum and sent one via e-mail to Jeff Wells...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks