What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JSul said:
How many if you sit through a movie until the final credit?
My family members just roll their eyes knowing that I won't budge until the lights come up and the credits are over.

I always find them interesting. Even in a popcorn flick like Jack Reacher, I learned that Lee Child (the author of the Reacher books) had a cameo as a desk sergeant in the film.

For example, there might be family members of the stars or director cast as extras.

Then there is the recent trend to put little extra bits after the credits (providing affirmation to us die hards!).

Ya never know. "As mama used to say, credits are like a box of chocolates..."

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Bob Furmanek said:
It was a different time. Don't forget, this is when shows ran continuous all day and people would come and go throughout the movie.

"This is where we came in."
And we went "to see" a movie, not "watch" a movie. Watching was what we did with TV.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I grow very bored with end credits unless the score is good or I suspect there might be a bit of business after they end. But otherwise, it's nothing to me except union dictated, vanity laden, logo infested monotony. I work in the industry so I know what goes into getting a credit and, really, who cares who catered the crew? Give teachers and firemen a credit for the jobs they do, not actor's assistants.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Regarding end credits, when I watched Peter Jackson's adaptation of THE LOVELY BONES on Blu-ray and the credits started rolling at the 2-hour mark but the movie's running time was 2:15, I kept watching the credits because I figured with 15-minutes to go, there HAD to be something else hidden in there...

Nope. Just 15-friggin'-minutes of end credits over black. Talk about over-kill!

Vincent

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JSul said:
How many if you sit through a movie until the final credit?Personally, I wait until the very end, to when the screen goes blank....maybe I am weird, but in addition to seeing the movie itself, I wanted to know the name of everyone involved, not just the cast but everyone.
I don't know if you're weird but you're certainly patient! I'm not patient and I turn off my projector or TV as soon as I've read the cast list.

I've never understood why and how Hollywood changed from the traditional short end credits to this new five minute nonsense listing drivers, accountants, lunch-dates . . . .

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robin9 said:
I don't know if you're weird but you're certainly patient! I'm not patient and I turn off my projector or TV as soon as I've read the cast list.I've never understood why and how Hollywood changed from the traditional short end credits to this new five minute nonsense listing drivers, accountants, lunch-dates . . . .
As I recall it started with STAR WARS. And they get longer every year.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
The long credit crawl started not with Star Wars, but in the early 70's some time. It came mostly because all of those people were no longer studio employees, and their unions started demanding credit.

I've always been baffled by the fact that some of the performers that contribute most to the feeling of a movie are not credited. The musicians who perform the score.

Doug

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Around The World In 80 Days had no opening credits but a long closing credits, probably the first to have long closing credits, that was 1956, i personally remember Superman had long credits but how can you not like the John Williams score that plays over them.

Peter Jackson must want the world record for closing credits running time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Douglas Monce said:
The long credit crawl started not with Star Wars, but in the early 70's some time.
I have no idea if it's accurate but I think on the American Graffiti commentary, George Lucas says that AG was the first movie to list everyone on the crew but he did it because everyone got paid little to nothing so he figured they should at least get to see their names onscreen.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Erm, all this talk of credits is interesting enough, but what on earth has it got to do with the subject of this thread?

JSul (post #2698), the one who kicked it off, apropos de rien, should have started their own thread, entitled "Who reads all the credits?" or something similar...

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
I am truly sorry, as I failed to set this as a seperate topic.No excuses....failed to follow the rules.I enjoy HTF via cell phone, not pc, and did not set topic as I should.

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Aspect ratio question.TCM showed Godzilla, King of the Monsters last night.It was in Academy, the only way I have ever seen it on tv, but the end credits were letterboxed for widescreen.I never heard of GKOM, or the original Gojira, as shot for widescreen.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
No, it's 1.37:1. The RKO release may have been shown 1.66:1 but that's not how it was photographed.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Brenty, its sort of an HTF thing that threads are allowed to wander and meander a bit it's not a bad thing here because generally it's all of interest to people here in the first place. It's one of the things I like about this board, some of the others I'm on are total nazis about moving posts out to new threads that are the slightest bit off topic...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Brenty said:
Erm, all this talk of credits is interesting enough, but what on earth has it got to do with the subject of this thread?

JSul (post #2698), the one who kicked it off, apropos de rien, should have started their own thread, entitled "Who reads all the credits?" or something similar...
If a discussion is both interesting and polite, it's reasonable to allow it to roam freely.

When you've been here for more than two months, you'll notice that threads here often expand beyond their intended horizons.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A few posts on a sidebar topic is a fine thing.

if it takes on a life of its own...we'll create a new thread and move everything over. And that's a fine thing, too. It just means people are interested in the new line of discussion.

I think the "credits" discussion might be a good idea for a separate thread. We'll see. :biggrin:

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Moe Dickstein said:
Brenty, its sort of an HTF thing that threads are allowed to wander and meander a bit it's not a bad thing here because generally it's all of interest to people here in the first place. It's one of the things I like about this board, some of the others I'm on are total nazis about moving posts out to new threads that are the slightest bit off topic...
There's certainly no shortage of OCD on message boards. I always prefer that threads take on a life of their own, and providing everyone is being polite, I don't support a thread being too obsessively moderated with regards to subject or anything else. The whole point of a forum is to talk, not recite.

Now having said that, I will bring this back around to the main topic, haha. I'd like to ask my friend Bob Furmanek if he zooms in on open matte DVDs or watches them full frame with a sigh? How about everyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks