What's new

Anyone want to quit smoking with me? (1 Viewer)

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
I'm in. Been smoking for {hack, hack} 15 years!
eek.gif
Tried to quit a number of times. Patch only worked for me for two months after the last "lower dosage" patch.
angry.gif
Never tried the gum. I quit cold turkey in 97 for 10 months, why did I start up again????
frown.gif

I am with you starting first thing Monday morning. I am going out of town Thursday morn, returning Sunday night. I won't have access to the internet till I get back.
First step is to toss out all of your lighters and ashtrays, makes starting again just that much more costly.
~ow
------------------
My DVD's

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I began smoking when I was 13 and quit cold turkey when I was 19 because it becomes difficult to play sports when you can't breathe. I have not wanted another smoke since. I will be 27 in January and am looking forward to many years smoke-free. :)
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I've never understood how people can justify walking into a drug store and picking up a carton of smokes along with some nicotene gum and patches. That would be no different than buying a bottle of Crown on your way home from an AA meeting.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Hmmm, Friday at 7 you say? Ahh what the hell, I'll give it a shot. I guess that means I'm going to have to give up drinking and sex for a while, not that it would be a problem giving up drinking. :) The scary part is going to be not smoking during band practice. I just don't feel right behind my kit without a cig in my hand.
Sorry about the negative attitude fellas. It's just that I'm not looking forward to going through nicotine withdrawls is all.
furious.gif

------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"
[Edited last by Kevin Potts on November 01, 2001 at 04:02 AM]

John Johnson

Agent
I'm in - 'cept I don't smoke. I prefer my cancer oral (chewing tobacco). I already have my reward fund set up, so after a week without my good friend Nic, it's off the to buy the Pronto! Already stocked up on Nicorette, too...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I am currently quitting. Im on day number 6.
I had tried about a year ago, but bad news sent me to the store for a pack-not this time.
I had some work done on a tooth - nicotine aggravated the tooth so badly I was in so much pain I punched a brick wall the other day. So there it is, just not worth it. Id rather spent my money elsewhere. I'm done with cigs.
Actually it hasnt been that hard, Ive had a few really bad cravings, but I just ask myself "is it worth it?" and the answer is no. Im eating a bit more, but going back to the gym next week will help.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on November 01, 2001 at 07:44 AM]

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
Good luck everyone. :)I quit cold turkey a year ago. I miss it sometimes, but I breathe so much better now.
------------------
"It's the ultimate test of skill. One man....one ball.....ten pens!!!"
"Ten frames too."
"Exactly!"

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm gonna quit Monday too. I quit for about 9 months a year and a half ago, because I needed the money for speakers. Got the speakers and started smoking again. Now I'm looking at more upgrades, so its time to do it again.
Its just really tough to go out for beers without smokes.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Brad, who's steve? :)
Sean,
Who's Brad?
just kidding.
I think I coughed up blood today. I've had bronchitis now for 4 days and it's hindering my smoking! I should be a professional smoker. But, alas, I need to quit.
god... oh all right! I'll quit!
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
quote: Ok, so are we lookin' at Monday?[/quote]
Well, I'm looking at Friday night. I need a couple days away from work as a springboard.
But all of you should feel free to pick whatever time you want in the next little while and join in!!!!
Let's all make a pact that we'll check this thread regularly and offer up support for those who need it.
I'm stoked (um, do people still say that?) :) .
A few tips to help you get by:
- Don't use "replacements." They will only remind you that you aren't smoking. Plus, you might put on weight.
- Drink lots of water.
- Keep busy.
- Don't watch Bogie movies.
biggrin.gif

------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here
[Edited last by Rain on November 01, 2001 at 12:02 PM]

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You have my support, Rain. And I'd love to join you in this endeavor. Given, however, the topsy-turvy drama that has been my life in the past couple of months, quitting tobacco would probably drive me over the edge.
Keep at it, bro'.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
quote: ...quitting tobacco would probably drive me over the edge.[/quote]
That may be true, Jack...for a few days. After which you will begin to crave it less and less and you will save more and more money!
Don't look at it as giving something up, but rather as gaining something. If your life is in turmoil, just think how great it would be to have accomplished something of significance that you can feel good about.
Like I said before, the time is never "right," you just have to bite the bullet and do it.
I can't force you, of course, but I really hope you will reconsider joining in--for your health, your financial well being...and just cuz it would make me feel good knowing you're doing it too (ok, so that last point is selfish...sue me).
Not to mention a point which bears repeating: The worst thing that can happen is that you will not be successful, in which case you are no worse off than you are now.
Besides which, it's not we have to give up Cheerios!
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here
[Edited last by Rain on November 01, 2001 at 04:16 PM]

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
A few tips to help you get by:
- Don't use "replacements." They will only remind you that you aren't smoking. Plus, you might put on weight.
- Drink lots of water.
- Keep busy.
- Don't watch Bogie movies.
biggrin.gif

lol! No doubt Rain. I watched The Big Sleep last weekend, and even I, after four years smoke-free, had that urge to light up. But I got through it. Hope I never have to give up drinkin', or else I may not be able to watch The Thin Man series anymore!
------------------
"Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
This lifelong non-smoker wishes all of you guys good luck and good health on your quest to quit.
icon14.gif

Now if I could only get my Mom to quit...
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm 33 and proud to say I've never taken a single puff in my life.
I give you a major thumbs up for a great choice in quiting.
My grandfather smoked for 50 years and quit cold turkey....my brother had an open heart surgery to go through (at the age of 10) and gramps said if my brother would go through the surgery he would quit. He got lung cancer 2 years later but was able to beat it.....he got and extra five years before the big 'C' finally took him down. His Dr. told him if he hadn't quit the 2 years earlier he wouldn't have beat it the first time round.
There's my little pep talk.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Well, I'm looking at Friday night. I need a couple days away from work as a springboard.
OK Rain, thats tommorrow night, I thought I read some of your posts that you like to drink, and I hope you don't go out drinking friday night because that may make it tougher.
Are you just gonna kick back over the weekend and watch movies and drink water? If you feel the need to light up, just log on and we'll talk you through it :)
I said Monday so I know I'm gonna need support
crazy.gif

------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was suprised but it didnt really bother me not smoking while drinking, just keep your mind on the other things going on around you instead of the smokes.
Good luck this weekend all.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
squote: ...and I hope you don't go out drinking friday night because that may make it tougher.[/quote]
laugh.gif
As it happens, we are going out for beers after work. I totally forgot about that when I picked my time. Nonetheless, I'm sticking to it and I'm even looking forward to it. (And fortunately, you cannot smoke in bars here, so I just won't go out with the smokers.)
One further word of advice for those joining in on Monday: Spend the weekend psyching yourself up. Be conscious of every cig you have and don't smoke absently...ponder the smoke going into your lungs and the damage it is doing. Remind yourself that you don't want to do this anymore. And above all, don't think of quitting as giving something up, but rather as gaining something wonderful. Think of your quit date as something to look forward to. How nice will it be when you don't have to do it anymore?
I've been doing that for the past few days and now I'm so excited about quitting, I have no doubt that I will do it!
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

[Edited last by Rain on November 02, 2001 at 12:31 PM]

John Beavers

Second Unit
This Sunday will be 4 months that I have been smoke free. 25 years of smoking, and this year I finally said enough already. I feel better, I smell better, and I have more spending money. Just wait till your sense of smell comes back and you get a whiff of what an active smoker smells like. I never knew I reeked that much when I was smoking. Good ridance to a very bad habit!
[Edited last by John Beavers on November 02, 2001 at 12:10 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks