What's new

Anyone want to quit smoking with me? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Alright, so I have been smoking for about 5 years now. It's gross, it's expensive and it's bad for me. It's time to quit.
I was wondering if there are any other HTF members who are thinking about quitting...
I thought perhaps we could do it together as a group and keep a thread open for comments and support, etc.
Anyone interested?
Now I know some of you out there are thinking, I'll quit when I'm ready...when the time is right. Of course, deep down, you know as well as I do that you are never "ready" and the time is never "right." No time like the present.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I've been thinking about quitting. I've been smoking for almost 11 years and I have asthma. I'm a dumb ass. There's nothing more lame than buying a carton of smokes AND an inhaler at the same time!! I need to quit. My wife wants us to quit. I've tried everything from the patch and gum to hypnotherapy and NOTHING works! Of course, it would help if I really wanted to quit. I love to smoke (2 packs a day - almost $100 a week between my wife and I). I'm lame.
When are you going to quit and how?
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
When are you going to quit and how?
I'm thinking this weekend (work is stressful).
As for me, I'm strictly a "cold turkey" guy. However, everyone is free to choose their own "assistive devices" if they want to.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Are you kidding I have a Teenage daughter! :)
I only survive with smokes and Xanax
wink.gif

I'm sorry, I wish you guy's well and will keep up with this thread for idea's for myself.
GOOD LUCK!!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 31, 2001 at 02:59 PM]

Brad_W

Screenwriter
mmmmmmmmmmm... Xanax! And a lil bit o' Haldol to be my "smoke" after a smoke.
Whoops, I got so carried away with responding to Steve's post that I forgot to post that MONDAY sounds perfect.
I can't take breaks at work (and trust me with the line of work I'm in, I NEED breaks. So I go a whole 8-16 hours a day without a break/smoke). Monday will be perfect
------------------
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 31, 2001 at 03:00 PM]

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Brad, whats Haldol? your inhaler?
I am looking into getting something stronger than Xanax, I live with 3 females, my wife, my 16 year old daughter and my 3 year old daughter!
wink.gif

I thank God I have my HT room to escape to! But there is NO SMOKING in the theater room!!
------------------
Sean
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 31, 2001 at 03:04 PM]

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I smoked for 15 years 1 1/2 packs/day. 5 years ago I quit cold turkey. My wife quit 8 months later.
Rain, from reading your posts for the last year, I can tell that you are smart as well as headstrong, and know for sure that you can pull this off. I'm behind you 100%.
But... be wary of the excuse that is 'stress'. You say above you cant stop now because work is stressful, and will wait til the weekend. Remember, Monday will arrive and you must not/cannot use it as an excuse to light up!
Good luck, my friend.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Steve,
Haldol is like a chemical restraint. Helps put you to sleep. We use it on kids that go haywire where I work. But I prefer the police sheild.
So, monday sound good? or were you think like Sat. or Sun?
------------------
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
quote: ...I can tell that you are smart as well as headstrong, and know for sure that you can pull this off. I'm behind you 100%.[/quote]
Wow, thanks for those kind words. :)
Alright then, with or without the rest of ya, I'm going to give it a go. 7pm HTF time on Friday (right after work), I will smoke my last cigarette.
Some of you out there must have the nerve to join me. C'mon, don't be wimps.
laugh.gif
Ok, I'm trying to get you to join me out of spite.
laugh.gif

[Edited last by the Marlboro Man on October 31, 2001 at 03:09 PM]
[Edited last by Joe Camel on October 31, 2001 at 03:10 PM]
[Edited last by Rain on October 31, 2001 at 03:24 PM]

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Good luck Rain. I quit twice cold turkey... it's the only way for me. I was off for three years, got with a girl who smoked, so... you know - either she had to quit or I had to start up again. Of course, being the gentleman I am...
Worst mistake I've ever made. Smoked for three years, then up and quit cold turkey again. That girlfriend is long gone, but I've been smoke-free for over four years now. Maybe it's time to start up again?
wink.gif
Nah, ain't gonna happen.
I can't quit with ya, but I'll definitely stay off as you quit. More power to ya man.
------------------
"Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Eric & Sean,
The worst thing that can happen is that you will not be successful. In that event, you would be no worse off than you are now.
I would encourage you to give it a try. After all, this isn't just any method of quitting--it's the Home Theater Forum Thread Method. Laugh if you will, but how many of us came here for support and camaraderie on Sept. 11? We can do the same thing for smoking, a much more insignificant matter.
We can do this. I know it. The nostril has spoken!
biggrin.gif

------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"...and I curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid git." - I'm So Tired by the Beatles
Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here
[Edited last by Rain on October 31, 2001 at 06:55 PM]

Derick

Auditioning
This thread came at the right time for me I recently started on the patch and so far it's been great I'm still tempted to reach in a pack of smokes but you just have to say to your self I'll have one later...that later comes about 5 hours ..all in all for about $30 canadian / week I'm impressed wth it
so I'm with you buddy lets kick the habbit

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
After smoking 2 packs a day for 28 yrs, I've been smoke free for a year & a half. Luckily I quit when I was still healthy. The main reason I quit was I was starting to wheeze. I'd wake myself up at night cause it sounded like a cat crying. I talked to my doctor about it & he said people handle smoking differently as they get older. Anyway...Zyban did it for me (and some willpower). BTW, the wheezing went away after about two weeks of not smoking. Good luck to everyone trying.
[Edited last by Gary Harris on October 31, 2001 at 08:44 PM]

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Rain,
OK I'll give it a shot, but you better be here for support, my post count will probably double, instead of reaching for a smoke I'll have to go to the computer.
You know, I love this place so much when I'm on, I don't take a smoke break (we do not smoke in the house).
I'm sure we can all support each other, I just hope we don't become irrational from the withdrawals!
crazy.gif

I'll be posting crazy threads like: "Is it possible to Bi-Wire my Cigarette?" or "Which do you prefer the Kenwood the Onkyo, or the Cigarette" or even "Whats your favorite Full Flavor DVD?"
crazy.gif

Ok, so are we lookin' at Monday?
------------------
Sean

Jin E

Second Unit
I've been a pack a week smoker for as long as I can remember (yes... a pack a week). I would someitmes go 1-2 weeks without burning one though. I have not smokes in about a week... so maybe it's time for me to drop my "habit" all together. Intead I have started smoking cigars. I find that is has much more S.O. acceptance factor.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Hey Rain,
I'm with ya man... I actually quit about 2 months ago. However my fiance still smokes, and when Im with her I usually smoke hers. I was just talking to her tonight about the fact that we should both quit, cold turkey.
She wants to quit as well, but she says "after the wedding..." Whether or not we'll ever totally quit, who knows (of course, when we decide to have children, we'll have no choice).
Smoking was no big financial burden when I was living in Tennessee and I could get 5 packs for 7 bucks (buy 3 get 2 free at $2.25 a pack)... but here in Boston, they are 5 bucks a pack.

James RD

Supporting Actor
After my father died of lung cancer six years ago I vowed that I would quit. Well....I didn't. 2 1/2 years later I had to have gum surgery. I was told to ABSOLUTELY NOT smoke for at least 24 hours. The 24 hours has turned into 3 1/2 years. Quitting was really one of the easiest things I have ever done. I haven't had the urge to smoke since those first two days after I quit!
I know everyone deals with addiction differently, but however you want to do it, do it. The health of yourselves and your families is at stake. And think of all the HT stuff you can buy with the money you save!
Good luck to "The HTF Quitters" !

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I've decided to join you guys in quitting but I'll have to wait a few extra days. The girlfriend just bought 15 packs in a buy-3-get-2-free deal and I'm not letting them go to waste. At $3.50 a pack here they're nearly as valuable as some precious metals.
So you guys take your head start and I'll catch up by quitting cold turkey late next week. Good luck to all!
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks