What's new

Anyone use a "regular" speaker for a CC. (1 Viewer)

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently running Paradigm Studio 20's for fronts, and found a single 20 for sale. How would this work as a Center Channel? Not sure how it would look on top of my RPTV, but it's a bit smaller than the Studio CC, and a bit cheaper as well.

Any thoughts?

keir

Stunt Coordinator
using an identical speaker for the center is a better option than getting a matching center. dolby labs recommends using identical speakers. make sure its either shielded or going to be a few inches away from the tv.

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for hte input, but do i really need it to be sheilded if it's sitting on top of my rear projection tv?

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I have a Klipsch KG 4.2 for my center. I moded it and moved the horn between the PR and driver. It matches my 5.2's far better than my old 2.2v.

Klipsch sells bucking magnets for their unshielded speakers, Paradigm may also.

earle

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
If its going to sit on top of the tv you should make sure that it has sheilding on the bottom of the speaker. Sometimes sheilded bookshelves are only shielded on the sides. Also, you do need sheilding otherwise you picture will be distorted on the television.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
jaimin, did you see him say he had a projection tv? im not really sure if they require shielded speakers or not. i am guessing that they do not but i dont know. you could put one of your studio 20's next to it and find out.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
A shielded speaker actually has cups over the magnets of the drivers which act as shields. With an RPTV there should be no real need for a shielded speaker.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I use a "regular" speaker as my center and it works great. YOU DON'T NEED A SHIELDED SPEAKER FOR A REAR PROJECTION TV (sorry for yelling but it seems like very few people on this thread are paying attention :rolleyes:).

An identical speaker in the center sounds dramatically better than a so-called "matched center" speaker. Click the little green house to see my home theater and how I've got it set up.

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again guys. I'm probably going to get the matching 20 to use as a center channel. It will look a little odd on top of my tv, but oh well. I've lived without a center channel for far to long.

Philip, thanks for listening, and nice HT. Love the idea of the switching 5.1 channel inputs.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I recently replaced my "center speaker" with a "regular speaker" and it works so much better than my prior setup. I'd highly recommend it.

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
Well I bought the 20 off of the gentleman. Can't wait to give it a listen to, just one problem, I sold my amps already and just have a preamp. Bummer. I'll have to wait until I sell my preamp and buy a receiver.

Thanks again everyone.

I might build a cabinet/stand to put my RPTV on/in, so maybe I'll incorporate the my new center channel into that some how.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Zak, just to reinforce the point, I have used a non-shielded speaker as a center on top of my RPTV for years. In fact, I have never had any shielded speakers in my main HT. With most RPTVs, a speaker on top of the cabinet is usually 3 ft from the guns, so you should be fine.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...though, you may want to get some sorbothane or other type of isolation feet to put under the speaker to help keep it from resonating in the TV cabinet.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. I'm using the little feet that came with my CC6 for my 602 center. It's also good to set the speaker up so it sticks out a little in front of the RPTV instead of being flush with it or behind it. Mine sticks out about an inch in front of the surface of the RPTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks