What's new

Anyone join the DISNEY MOVIE CLUB? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, Tony.

I am not going to try and call Disney Movie club and wrangle a better deal.

I am fine with the deal I have. I don't see me rejoining the club. I am simply
using it just this once to get caught up with several "classics" that I don't currently
own. After that, I am just going to be more diligent in buying them when they come
out.

Have Jungle Book on Amazon preorder. Might cancel that preorder and do it
through the club to get closer to my contract fulfillment.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Ronald:

I have been a member for several years and I joined primarily for their Exclusives of the vintage/Walt-era live action titles (i.e. The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men, The Fighting Prince of Donegal, The Sword and the Rose, So Dear to My Heart, etc.). Once you fulfill the order commitment and reach VIP status, the deals are pretty good (1st move at regular price but additional ones at 50% or 60% off, free shipping, etc.). I have not been disappointed at all for joining.

Darby

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After seeing the offer pop up in various forms, I decided to go for it, especially with that coupon code (thanks David!). I don't know if I'll go to the trouble of cancelling and going another round. I guess I'll see if things are worthwhile with premier status. As it is, I'll have no problem fulfilling the two-title commitment, especially with Frozen coming out next month and the availability of Miyazaki titles I didn't make in the initial selection.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Joining the DMC was the only way for me to get "Gargoyles: Season 2 vol.2", so I got it and yah... I am still a member, got some titles I didn't want.When I first ordered "Gargoyles," they actually sent me not the three copies I ordered, but three copies of "Bernie Rides again." Le sigh.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Well I was just referred to DMC by a FB friend. I agree, the deals definitely look good (you now get 4 titles for $1.00 each, a $14.95 title that counts and a $9.95 bonus title that doesn't count. As my Disney Blu-ray collection stands at only 3 titles (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Jungle Book (Diamond Edition) and now Frozen), this might be a nice way to build the collection with my most desired Disney titles, that is when some of the are released on blu.
Strongly considering it at this point. This is also how I started my DVD collection back in 2000 (thru, Columbia of course).

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Kyrsten Brad said:
Brad here. Well I was just referred to DMC by a FB friend. I agree, the deals definitely look good (you now get 4 titles for $1.00 each, a $14.95 title that counts and a $9.95 bonus title that doesn't count. As my Disney Blu-ray collection stands at only 3 titles (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Jungle Book (Diamond Edition) and now Frozen), this might be a nice way to build the collection with my most desired Disney titles, that is when some of the are released on blu.
Strongly considering it at this point. This is also how I started my DVD collection back in 2000 (thru, Columbia of course).

That doesn't even sound like the best deal available though you didn't say have many full price you have to buy

The best known current promo code ( 10042B ) I think I listed earlier in the thread post 11 with some other details and a link which has a massive amount of information and ways to maximize your purchases -- Buy 5 for $1 with FS (total, not each), 6th in 11.95 and counts as your first commitment, 7th is 8.95 but doesn't count as a commit, then buy 2 more Bluray 29.95+ in the next 2 years. The best way to enroll is to call DMC after making your list of wanted items -- like a lot of these clubs all the eligible enrollment items aren't listed on the signup website.

Apparently the Refer-a-Friend deal which gets the referrer a couple bonus movies now even allows you to input the
best code and gets your friend his bonus (it used to be one or the other).

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've done the club twice before, and I just recently joined again to catch up on the Studio Ghibli blu-rays. The initial batch is like a Christmas present, but it sucks paying above retail later on to fulfill the commitment. Yeah, I know, First World problems. :D

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The club's 3-D availability is hit-or-miss. Sometimes you can pre-order a 3-D title, but mostly they do not offer the 3-D version until months after release. Another problem I have with the Blu-ray club is that, unlike with the DVD club, you cannot cancel the negative option for monthly selections after you fulfill the membership obligation -- meaning, you cannot request that selections not be sent to you unless you specifically purchase them. Therefore, if you are not vigilant, you wind up being shipped titles you hadn't intended to order, and have to wait a month for a refund on your return.

It's probably worth quitting the club for a year or so and letting their inventory grow, and then rejoin when there are enough new additions for you to be able to knock off at least a few of the obligatory movies.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Craig Beam said:
I've done the club twice before, and I just recently joined again to catch up on the Studio Ghibli blu-rays. The initial batch is like a Christmas present, but it sucks paying above retail later on to fulfill the commitment. Yeah, I know, First World problems. :D
It just makes it better to think of the club as a Group Purchase. You can't think of those $0.20 items as separate than the $25 or $30 commitments. 9 or 10 movies for $80 is a better thought process.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Been in the club for a few short months now.

Very happy with the initial deal I got. Wasn't the best deal, but I was able
to complete all the major classic animation releases I did not have.

I have 4 titles to buy over (I believe) two years. About to order the Thor
sequel in 3D. It will cost me $29.95 plus shipping, but I expected that to
be expensive.

I probably will never join again. I was only interested in their classic
animated titles. I am going to be more careful to order them on release
day from now on.

HotRodHank

BANNED
Brad here . I noticed that you can now get The Rescuers Down Under as part of a double feature. I think TRDU is Blu but not 100% sure? Anybody here know for sure?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I've been a member for a little over a year now. My latest purchase is probably one of the two reasons I will continue with them for at least a little while. They had a twofer featured selection of Saving Mr. Banks/Mary Poppins, where you got both for under $40 Cdn. Given that the current price for Banks at Walmart is ~$27 and the same for Mary Poppins, I've saved about $14. In addition, they had a promo on Marvel titles in addition to their typical buy one, get one at 40% off promo, which means I was able to walk away with the 3D pack of Iron Man 3 for just over $20 Cdn. Since the Iron Man combo regularly retails for between $40 and $50, that was a killer deal.

@ Brad. The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under Double Feature is indeed a BD. Both films on 1 BD, plus individual DVDs.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Well I just joined up using the still-working Bonus code I saw earlier in this thread. Got my 5 blus for $1.00, $11.95 one purchase and one for $8.95. My choices:

The Little Mermaid
Mary Poppins
Oz, The Great & Powerful
The Lone Ranger (OK don't laugh, I rather enjoyed that flick even if I didn't like their treatment of Christians in the movie).
The Rescuers/ The Rescuers Down Under double Blu
The Incredibles
Race to Witch Mountain

I did consider calling DMC to see about getting The Rocketeer included in the package but decided just to make that one of my future required selections.

auroraivy

Auditioning
Real Name
Audrey
I actually got the offer in the mail and I went to sign up and the website just doesn't work at all. I pick all the movies and hit next and the sign up page is completely blank. Has anyone had this issue? I emailed but I have a feeling I shouldn't hold my breath for a response. I also called the number, could only find a number listed in the FAQ's under cancellation, and I can't actually connect to anyone - unless that is only possible with a member number which I don't have cause the website won't work!
Is it always this cumbersome to deal with this club? I noticed most of the commenters had subscriptions so I figured I would ask.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, I just had a nice email exchange with the folks at the Disney Movie Club. I requested that the Buena Vista production Captain Ron be released on Blu-ray and initially offered exclusively on DMC. Furthermore I requested that if they did a transfer, do a 4K scan of the OCN for Captain Ron.

I got a response back. In short they appreciated the suggestion and are forwarding it to the correct department at Buena Vista Pictures.

Not much but its something

On a side note Amazon just shipped me the Captain Ron DVD. Ordered it since I saw that it was in AR of 1.85:1 and in Dolby surround sound. For converse reasons, I rejected the Summer Rental DVD since it was a "fullscreen" 1.33:1 and probably not very good.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Kyrsten Brad said:
Well folks, I just had a nice email exchange with the folks at the Disney Movie Club. I requested that the Buena Vista production Captain Ron be released on Blu-ray and initially offered exclusively on DMC. Furthermore I requested that if they did a transfer, do a 4K scan of the OCN for Captain Ron.

I got a response back. In short they appreciated the suggestion and are forwarding it to the correct department at Buena Vista Pictures.

Not much but its something

On a side note Amazon just shipped me the Captain Ron DVD. Ordered it since I saw that it was in AR of 1.85:1 and in Dolby surround sound. For converse reasons, I rejected the Summer Rental DVD since it was a "fullscreen" 1.33:1 and probably not very good.
Can't say much for your taste in movies ;) but good for you for taking some action. By the way both of those titles are in HD on iTunes or Vudu.

Sean Lehman

Auditioning
This is probably a little late but for future readers I DO NOT suggest the Disney Movie Club. First, check the BBB rating. You will find that they get an F grade.

To make the story short, even once you fulfill your subscription they will still try to charge and send you shipments automatically.

I had completed my contract and thought I'd keep the account in case I wanted any other movies in the future. Since that time the Credit Card I was using replaced twice so there was no way they could charge me.

A year or more later I just received a movie with a bill. I never ordered this, they sent it to me without me even paying. They did however include a bill for $30 and if I don't pay up they will also start charging me late fees.

I thought what they are doing is illegal. The Disney Movie Club is not worth it trust me!

Sean Lehman

Auditioning
auroraivy said:
I actually got the offer in the mail and I went to sign up and the website just doesn't work at all. I pick all the movies and hit next and the sign up page is completely blank. Has anyone had this issue? I emailed but I have a feeling I shouldn't hold my breath for a response. I also called the number, could only find a number listed in the FAQ's under cancellation, and I can't actually connect to anyone - unless that is only possible with a member number which I don't have cause the website won't work!
Is it always this cumbersome to deal with this club? I noticed most of the commenters had subscriptions so I figured I would ask.
I would definitely reconsider signing up with them. Check the BBB rating. You will find they get an F. That red light going off in the back of your mind is a hint of what could come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks