What's new

An Apollo 13 Query... (1 Viewer)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

The DTS and DD are very similar. The DD track has great LFE and panning. The dialog is very clear and the surrounds envelope the listener during the action scenes and when the fantasic score is utilized. I guess the DTS sounds more open. I am a stickler for good audio and the DD is up to the task. BOTTOM LINE: THE DTS AND DD ARE SIMILAR ENOUGH THAT THE IMPROVED PQ PUTS THE ANNIVERSARY EDITION OVER THE EDGE FOR ME. That's personal preference.

If you want the DTS version for it's awesome sound, by all means get it. I'll ask what another poster asked above: What do you watch your movies on?

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

David,

I am using a HD-ready Mitsubishi 55" 16X9 screen (a MEDALLION HD series) rear projection....

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thanks a million for your thoughts, Brett, as this is what I will base my purchase of Apollo 13 on I suppose; I have heard NOTHING but "demo-quality" remarks regarding the 1998 release of this title in DTS and was concerned that the Anniversary release and its Dolby Digital track was not "up to the task" as many DTS/DD comparisons manage to reveal: Jurassic Park, Gladiator, etc. Many times, it is nearly night and day in terms of sound quality.

In answer to your question, I watch my discs on a 55 inch Mitsubishi Medallion series rear projection set.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Adam, I was asking about how you watched films, because a couple of guys were extolling the virtues of the Apollo 13 laserdics with full bitrate DTS, saying they looked great in addition to sounding great. There is NO WAY laserdiscs look as good as higher-bitrate anamorphic DVDs on a 16:9 HD set with at least 480p progressive inputs. Sounds like you have a good set (I have a Mitsubishi as well). I still have a few DTS and DD laserdiscs, but I seldom play them because the picture quality is poor in relation to DVDs.

When I say it's not the Holy Grail, you have to remember that if you are going to use it as some sort of demo disc, there's not all that much to demo aside from the launch. Unlike, say Gladiator, or Jurassic Park, or Master and Commander, the hits just do not keep coming sonic-wise on this film IMO.

I just put it on again, and it is really more artifact-riddled than I thought. Look at this capture from the scene right after the "We've got a problem" scene:

It is not shocking to have some artifacting, particularly in dark scenes, or scenes involving smoke or clouds, but this movie is as artifact-ridden as my non-HD DisH Network broadcasts. In almost every scene of Ed Harris in Mission Control, his face looks variously like he's badly burned or like he's sweating profusely, even though neither is true. Now, the breakup of the picture is not as obvious in a still-frame capture, but on my 62" DLP it looks pretty poor.

Even allowing for audio preference over video, this is just poor visuals, IMO. Probably why they use half bitrate DTS-so they can fit a decent picture on the disc.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
"Adam, I was asking about how you watched films, because a couple of guys were extolling the virtues of the Apollo 13 laserdics with full bitrate DTS, saying they looked great in addition to sounding great. There is NO WAY laserdiscs look as good as higher-bitrate anamorphic DVDs on a 16:9 HD set with at least 480p progressive inputs."

I totally hear you on this, and agree.

"Sounds like you have a good set (I have a Mitsubishi as well). I still have a few DTS and DD laserdiscs, but I seldom play them because the picture quality is poor in relation to DVDs."

I never got into laserdisc for these reasons of quality, besides the fact I could not imagine building a library of films the size of 33 1/3 LP records.

"When I say it's not the Holy Grail, you have to remember that if you are going to use it as some sort of demo disc, there's not all that much to demo aside from the launch. Unlike, say Gladiator, or Jurassic Park, or Master and Commander, the hits just do not keep coming sonic-wise on this film IMO."

Okay, THIS I can totally take into consideration in terms of what I wanted to know about this title in DTS; thank you for clearing this up. I understand that aside from the launch sequence, there is not much going on from beginning to end sonically and constantly as on your excellent examples of Jurassic Park or Gladiator -- those are EXCELLENT examples of non-stop, hit you over the head DTS audio action. I only wanted to know so much about the DTS cut of Apollo 13 because I have heard that the DTS mix -- much like the DTS track of Gladiator and Jurassic Park and Saving Private Ryan -- changes the whole experience of this film over the Dolby variant.

The question, ultimately, becomes: buy into the Anniversary Edition once again and "deal" with Universal's Dolby Digital mix for the theatrical cut, or get the DTS version online from Amazon or from some of the great members who have e mailed me privately offering the disc for sale.

"I just put it on again, and it is really more artifact-riddled than I thought. Look at this capture from the scene right after the "We've got a problem" scene:

It is not shocking to have some artifacting, particularly in dark scenes, or scenes involving smoke or clouds, but this movie is as artifact-ridden as my non-HD DisH Network broadcasts. In almost every scene of Ed Harris in Mission Control, his face looks variously like he's badly burned or like he's sweating profusely, even though neither is true. Now, the breakup of the picture is not as obvious in a still-frame capture, but on my 62" DLP it looks pretty poor.

Even allowing for audio preference over video, this is just poor visuals, IMO. Probably why they use half bitrate DTS-so they can fit a decent picture on the disc."

Very interesting and thank you for providing the captures; I have heard the out of print versions of this title carry horrendous looking video, but I am still leaning towards the DTS version for the audio, solely....I just don't know yet what I am leaning toward; I wish Universal would have made this Anniversary cut WITH the old DTS mix (and a Dolby alternative) and simply dropped the IMAX version.

Thanks for all the info....any more input on this, just fire away, as your comments -- and everyones -- have been helpful and enjoyable to read!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks