What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Lucy and I were thinking the exact same thing! (Also, we were thinking about the Shrek posters and Melinda. . . ;) ) Remember when we got the preview of the original Shrek DVD there? Deja vu city.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

On the contrary, I think that when he goes into a recording studio, with access to all the usual sound-processing equipment and the ability to record multiple takes, he'll be perfectly capable of making decent music.

Also, bear in mind that he's still only 17. Just because he isn't as poised as Jordin on stage doesn't mean that he won't be able to improve over time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sanjaya was on the Tonight Show last night, and he took most of his AI experience with good humor about it all. They had a segment where Sanjaya would respond to questions that Leno asked, and after saying the politically correct thing, Donny Osmond would sing the truth of Sanjaya's answers. Funny stuff. Jack Black was sitting next to Sanjaya during his segment, which allowed him to yuck it up some during Sanjaya's interview.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

Who needs multiple takes and perfect pitch when professional studios can fix anything with software plug-ins like this:

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.ph...roducts_plugin

This plug-in for programes like Cubase is awesome. It corrects pitch and timing almost flawlessly, making decent performances sound much better. On the downside, It corrects pitch and timing almost flawlessly, making decent performances sound much better. ;)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I think in the end, music is about what's delivered, not how. I don't care if it's easier to play a piano in tune than it is a trombone or French horn. I just care that when I listen to it, it's in tune. There's a place for technical mastery of music, but it has little to do with what sounds good. Why do so many people know the intro to Fur Elise when it's such a simple melody and no challenge at all to play? Heart & Soul? (You know it even if you don't know the name). Chopsticks? When I hear something good, I don't care much about how difficult it is to achieve the result. I think most singers and musicians get this. I also think even though Randy points out "pitchy" and such, it's also the reason why he sometimes notes it almost in passing. "It was pitchy in a few spots, but dude... that was the bomb!" He knows you can fix that stuff in the studio where it matters, and on stage in real life, it isn't likely to make or break you. What the public wants is music that sounds good to them. In that arena, I could see Sanjaya doing just fine. The personality and ability to capture America's attention is at least as important (if not more so), than having so-called perfect pitch. I'd also say getting to sing the right songs is very important.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I thought Melinda and Jordin were both terrific vocally...but the show itself was a total snoozer.

My vote for who should go is Chris once again...Just another standard performance by him which sounded like any other song he's ever done.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

I would agree with your assessment.

Jordan and Melinda were absolutly FANTASTIC. In fact, I really enjoyed Jordan's the best. Her song is very heart-felt and was one that had spiritual meaning for me personally. I really think those two will be the last ones standing and it will be a tough choice to make.

On a side not about the whole Sanjaya thing, it's like a bad fad that just won't die out. Please, he has ZERO talent for vocals. Maybe as a showman on some Carnival Cruise if they are desperite. Otherwise, this whole Sanjaya thing is no longer funny as Simon said earlier. In fact, our local radio stations have made so much fun of him, even the call-ins talk about his well, girly guy ways. He's a joke and the only appeal he ever had was to small kids or those voting on purpose as a joke.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Pretty lackluster competition this week.

I still like Blake, but I think he's in real danger this week after that poor song choice and boring performance. But I'd prefer to see Chris go as he seems to be the least talented of the remaining 6.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hmmm, for the first time ever I liked everyone's performance, Blake's was a little on the boring side but I thought he was just fine vocally.

Is it me or was there a sense of tranquility to tonights episode, almost as if the air felt cleaner, the food tasted better and I could hear birds chirping? I don't know, but whatever it was i'm sure that it had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the fact that Sanjaya is gone. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Did I make it in before Hanson makes his post?!

Yeah, I agree with you guys that this week was rather lackluster
due to the theme itself. That doesn't take away from the importance
of what IDOL is doing, but I felt the inspirational theme combined
with having to see some heartbreaking images all night long really
brought the tone of the show down significantly.

That being said, there is no argument that Melinda and
Jordan provided the best performances of the evening
with Lakisha in a distant third. I really fear for Lakisha
as I think she may once again end up in the bottom three despite
the fact I still feel she is one of the TOP 3 talent wise.

For the very first time, I actually felt as if Jordan could
beat Melinda at becoming the next American Idol. I feel
Melinda has the edge on vocals, but Jordan has
the edge on age and marketability. No doubt, those will be
the last two standing. That is the IDOL competition right there!

Blake turned in the most disappointing performance of the
evening solely for song choice. Imagine is certainly one of
the greatest songs of all-time, but unless you are John Lennon,
there is absolutely nothing you can do with this song to make it a
stand-out performance. That bad song choice could cause Blake
to go home this week, though I feel Chris deserves it more.

...and yes, I did notice that (as Simon eluded to and John Williamson
blatantly pointed out) for the very first time, this is starting to feel like
a competition. It very well has to do with the fact that Sanjaya is gone.

ULTIMATE PREDICTION: Amazing that we are down to 3 guys and 3 girls. We all
knew from day one that there was no talent amongst these guys. As long as Lakisha
can keep up the pace, I predict within the next 3 weeks all the guys will be eliminated
and the 3 girls will be left standing.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Very boring night. There were a couple of alright vocals, but I didn't like any of the songs. I don't know what the judges were thinking with their high praise for Chris, because he was terrible as usual. He just doesn't have a pleasant voice. The little I heard of Blake was not so good, but I don't do Imagine, so I fast-forwarded. Phil seemed to be sliding back from last night at the start of his song, but his was the most enjoyable peformance for me as it wrapped up.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
My HD receptions fritzed out last night and for the first time, I missed Idol on Tuesday night.

I'm going to try to keep from reading any comments today and I will be able to watch the show tonight, so I may crank out a short blog for tomorrow.

From now on, I will always back it up on the Tivo.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Have to agree with all here....Jordan and Melinda cruising to the finals and Blake making a critical poor song choice. I have been interested in him because of his song choices to date, but chosing "Imagine" was a mistake from the start. It would never had worked.

I am also surprised at the heavy humanizing of Simon being displayed by the videos. I found it a little funny however as Simon toured the food bank in LA at his amazement that they even existed and that there were poor people in that city. I guess he does not see much from the tinted windows of his Bentley as he is driven around each day. As he held up that can of food and said it cost a dollar, I was reminded of political candidates who cannot name the price of bread or milk when asked.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You can tell it was a slow night last night on Idol since Sanjaya has almost equally took up page 37 of the thread:eek:

Melinda and Jordin stole the show last night, I think last night's performance will be what I think will be the final show

Lakisha and Chris I think will be in the bottom 2 tonight. I thought Phil did pretty good and Blake wasn't bad but he has a fan base that will probably take him to the final 4.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
The choice of "Imagine" wasn't a horrible choice, it is a hard song to pull off though. I thought Blake did a fine job of it vocally, you can't do anything fancy with it. Again my biggest complaint is the rest of the backing band, they over play, and yet they're boring. The simplicity of "Imagine" is one of its strong points, not an overdone musical production. I enjoyed Blake's vocals on this song and up until the rest of the band came in, I really liked the simple Piano/Vocal. (Has an A.I. contestant ever done just vocals and piano all the way through?) I voted for Blake about a dozen times.

I didn't recognize Jordin's song but damn she can sing. (I think I voted for her about 50 times at least.) I really like Jordin and I hope she can win the whole thing. She reminds me of a cross between Sara Ramirez (Grey's Anatomy) and America Ferrara, which I think I've mentioned before, but each week it really hits me. I think she's got a shot at actually doing well in the music "biz" even if she doesn't win (which I hope she really does win).

Melinda was great, but the mixing on the sound was a little shotty at times last night and I couldn't understand a portion of her vocals. At any rate, I too think she'll be right there at the end, with Jordin. She's sweet and innocent and she seems to have gotten over the "oh me? I can sing? really? are you sure?" thing.

LaKisha just needs to go home, she over sings and it sounds like she's yelling a bit (that's where I have to agree with the judges), I understand she's not yelling, but she's just trying to hard. Plus she looks like she's going to take someone's head off when she's not singing.

I like Phil, it's hard not to like Phil, he's just a really nice guy, you want to hate yourself sometimes for saying anything bad about Phil. Thankfully I can't say anything bad about him, his singing is good, I think he needs to do more country, but he's got a good strong voice. And he's developing a decent stage presence, which I think was one thing Blake was laking a little bit last night, Blake looked pretty straight faced and not a whole lot of emotion out of his eyes or anything while singing. Phil is improving in that area, I really think he might be like Chris Daughtry and even though he doesn't win, he'll go on to record some material and probably do a good job.

Chris Richardson, where do I start? He at least didn't sound overly nasally last night. (Nasally worked for Lennon, Petty and Liam Gallagher, not for many others though.) I like the "Change the World" song, not one of Clapton's best songs, but its decent, but Chris Justin Timberlake-ified the song, it nearly became a parody of itself when he sang it. I didn't feel at all that he wanted to change the world, of course I should have thought it would go wrong when the guitar player missed a note or two in the beginning riff.

I'm hoping LaKisha goes home, her or Phil. They'll both be gone soon enough. In a way I sort of missed Sanjaya, while he couldn't sing great, he was fun to watch to see what he would do each week. That being said, I'm really happy he is gone, he couldn't sing well, and he got annoying and some probably better singers got voted off earlier just so people could get their Sanjaya fix. I think he and William Hung should go out on tour, the "Dynamic Duo: Bring your Earplugs - Presented by Kleenex" tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks