What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The person who gets the boot always seems to sound better during their farewell song than they did the night before. Must be the nerves getting to them on the performance night.

I think there's a decent voice there if he'd put some volume into his singing. When he'd actually sing out, I thought it was OK, but all the whisper singing was ridiculous. He needs some training with a professional vocal coach.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't think I've EVER heard someone sound that much better doing his farewell song than he did singing in competition. If Sanjaya had sang that way the night before, there's no way he'd have gone home this week. (And if he sang that way every week, he'd consistently be in the top three and nobody would bat an eye about it.)

Maybe he just doesn't handle the pressure well.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

I'm sorry but this pisses me off. Why do some people equate showing emotion or crying with being female? It's ridiculous. I hate the whole "weaker sex" label.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

I was 99.9% certain Chris would be safe this week after acknowledging Virginia Tech and being from Virginia.

I liked Sanjaya, but this was the first week where I thought he might go. The performance was not good, and even his "look" wasn't one to get the young girls voting. (He looked most "cute" when he straightened his hair.)

I've been waiting on nasally, shoulder-shrugging Chris to go for a long time. . .

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Wow. It's interesting how two people can hear the same thing so differently. I thought his final performance was shit, but I was willing to cut him some slack since he was on the verge of sobbing. Now, Gina did do a better job on her farewell than on her performance the previous night.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I didn't say that he was female because he cried. In fact, my mother told me that my dad actually teared up over Sanjaya going home last night. But let's face it, Sanjaya is more of a girl than any female that's in the competition. He learned to hula, but not the male part of hula dancing. He learned the girls part. There's just so many girlie things about Sanjaya. And what I said was a statement of fact. Girls often cry when they've been eliminated, and I can't think of one guy that has cried after being eliminated. So while I'm very sorry that pisses you off, it doesn't change the fact that it's quite true.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

More of a girl than any of the other females? What does that mean to you exactly? You know what, I don't even want to know.

As a female I just find that whole comment so insulting. I'm sure those female contestants would beg to differ.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I actually feel a little sad for the kid, he deserved to go make no mistake but I think all the cheering when he was announced hurt his feelings a little and that's not cool no matter how badly he sucked.

And before you jump on me for partying in my other post, if I were there I wouldn't have cheered, I would have been happy but I wouldn't have stood up and cheered.

And men DO cry, crying is the bodies natural reaction to sever levels of emotion and it produces tears in response, it's as natural as sweating in extreme heat and there's nothing girlie about it, I mean man, most guys think they don't even possess tear ducts. :rolleyes

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
For the record, I cry a lot. Well, maybe not cry, but I well up alot when watching shows that I am emotionally attached to. And as far as I can tell, I am a male. So crying is not necessarily a "girlie" thing.

But...

Sanjaya is the most femine "male" I have seen. Hopefully his testosterone levels will turn up when he hits puberty. :)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
No one said Men don't cry. I did say, and I'll stand by it, that no male contestant in the top 12 at least and probably the top 24, has cried when he was voted off. LOTS of girls have. That's all!!! And it's simply not surprising that Sanjaya did. Again, that's all.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Lucia, Read Scott-S last post. What I said was about Sanjaya and not the female contestants, or about you as a female. So if YOU are the one who is offended and insulted, then it's only because you want to be.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alright guys, settle down.

Aaron Silverman,

I have to address you personally on this as you are the only
one here who can relate.

I usually don't watch the elimination show, though TIVO records
it automatically. I just HAD to watch it this week to see Sanjaya
get the boot....

....but what's so interesting about that show was the Idol visit
to DreamWorks studio which you and I are both very
familiar with. It was kind of neat watching the Idol contestants
walk those grounds and visit the Campanille Theater. Brought
back some fond memories of past HTF meets.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I concur. Having said that, I'd hope for her sake that ending in the bottom 2 gives her a much needed wake-up call/kick in the pants and she gets it together next week onwards.

Alternatively, whillst they don't talk about their personal lives much, but perhaps as a single mother she's missing her kid, worried about leaving her kid with someone else (presumably her parents) etc? Stacey is married with a newborn, but as a sailor he's probably used to long separations, and indeed his wife attending the shows, and presumably visiting for a day or two each week, keeps him grounded; the rest IIRC are single.

It was pretty amazing, I thought, that the producers felt it necessary to quite literally present "the case for the defence" in refuting allegations that Simon had been disrespectful re: Virginia Tech. I would've thought his explanation and clarification were sufficient, since even before that it seemed clear to me, but to show split-screen footage and to now let people hear his mic, which was muted during the original broadcast, was to me, well, a major case of CYA. I guess AI doesn't want to take any risks whatsoever to its appeal to the masses. They must be glad they tape all audio channels continuously, and not just those selected by the director during broadcast.

As for Sanjaya, it was his time, though I do feel sorry for him for the vitriol poured his way, and the outburst of celebration at his departure. It wasn't his fault he lasted this long, blame America for voting for him so often for so long, and blame the producers for putting him into the Final 24 in the first place. He did his best, it wasn't good enough, and he never had the attitude that he was any better than he actually is, unlike some others who think they are better than they are.

Which reminds me of Simon's most appropriate comment during the performance show to Melinda, to accept and recognise she is in fact a very good singer and to stop looking surprised each time she hears it. Now that's one who is justified in believing that she's good, yet oddly doesn't quite seem to, although now I think she's "starting to believe" (another geek-moment...)

So when the 7 were split into two groups with Melinda left, it was pretty damned obvious Melinda was safe, and I just knew she'd be asked to join the group she thought was safe (didn't do the same thing to Bo Bice?). Cute touch, her sitting down and refusing to choose. Must say it was a little surprising that Chris didn't make bottom 3, which would've made it dead obvious which was the bottom group. Perhaps that's why the producers decided to play this little game this week.

I can't remember, but has any previous winner of AI reached the final without ever finishing in the bottom group? I do recall Fantasia once wound up in a shocking bottom three, which everyone assumed was the top 3, but I can't remember if Carrie ever did, nor Taylor, and I didn't watch AI in the first two seasons. But this season, I wouldn't be surprised if Melinda never ends up in the bottom group en route to the finale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks