What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's not really much of a surprise, but still unfortunate and bizarre.

My copy is estimated to arrive next Monday.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My copy arrived.

In addition to the previously mentioned missing segment of Frollo's death, Quasimodo's brief "Heaven's Light" reprise when he sees Esmeralda and Phoebus kiss is gone too.

What is on here is fantastic. There is a lot of underscore that is receiving its first release outside of the film, plus great demos and other bonus tracks. I would still highly reccomend this CD for any Hunchback fan based on the huge amount of new material you'll be getting here.

But it is unfortunate that the score is still not totally complete.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Looks like Aladdin is going to be the next entry into the Legacy Collection:

In addition to the 24 new offerings available at D23 Expo 2022, 10 titles are exclusive or first-to-market, including Encanto die-cut vinyl (featuring “Surface Pressure” and “We Don’t Talk About Bruno”), Enchanted (available for the first time on clear vinyl), Hocus Pocus (score-only on moon-variant vinyl), Minnie Lo-Fi (on purple orchid vinyl), Adventure Thru Inner Space (picture disc), The Lion King on Broadway (first time on vinyl), The Mandalorian Season 1 (exclusive sand-colored vinyl), Music from WandaVision (exclusive red vinyl), The Legacy Collection: Aladdin (exclusive CD), and Turning Red – The Mix (exclusive CD).

While it’s nice that Aladdin is getting an expanded edition, until I hear how it’s been handled, I’m not exactly all that keen on buying it after Hunchback’s Legacy edition got botched.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
While it’s nice that Aladdin is getting an expanded edition, until I hear how it’s been handled, I’m not exactly all that keen on buying it after Hunchback’s Legacy edition got botched.
I'm still going to get it no matter what. Obviously, I want it to have the full score. But even if there is a problem with it being incomplete like Hunchback, it will almost certainly still have more on it than any previous release of the soundtrack. So I'm willing to take whatever I can get. I absolutely wish that Hunchback was complete, but I still don't regret that purchase at all because what is there is still more than I had before.

Aladdin is the holy grail for me, so I'll buy this as soon as they make it available to me.

I also think that strong sales for it will encourage them to do more Legacy releases, while poor sales would stop the line in its tracks again. So I see this as important to buy for that reason as well.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Good to hear the Legacy Collection continues to limp forward...
I wouldn't say delivering Aladdin is limping forward. But I see what you mean because it is only one title, even though it is the biggest title as far as I am concerned.

I don't want to complain too loudly because they're giving us Aladdin, which is the holy grail for me. So that should be absolutely celebrated. If we're only going to get one title this year, I'm overjoyed that it is that one.

But we know that the Legacy Collection titles usually land on significant anniversary years for the involved films. The Little Mermaid was released in 2014 for its 25th anniversary. Beauty and the Beast was released in 2018 for some reason and is the only title in the entire collection to buck the anniversary trend. Aladdin is this year for its 30th. Pocahontas in 2015 for its 20th. The Hunchback of Notre Dame last year for its 25th. The arrival of Aladdin leaves Hercules as the only film from Alan Menken's 1999-97 run of musicals which will not yet have a Legacy Collection release.

Hercules was released in 1997 and is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year.

Aladdin is my favorite movie of all time and has been my single most wanted title since the Legacy Collection began. So I am over the moon that it is finally getting its turn.

However, if Hercules is not coming this year, I really hope they don't make us wait another five years for it to hit 30 in 2027 to do that one.

There are two other interesting things here:

1) It seems like Disney is now doing one title per year because Hunchback was last fall and Aladdin will be this fall tied to D23.

and

2) The news today mentions that Aladdin will be a Disney Music Emporium exclusive CD after first being available at D23. This confirms that The Hunchback of Notre Dame was not a fluke. Amazon and other stores never got physical copies of that, only a digital download version. This seems to indicate that Disney has made the decision that the CD versions of the Legacy Collection sell well enough to continue as exclusives to drive business to their site, but not necessarily well enough to be a wide release for other stores.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The new Legacy Collection release of Aladdin is now in stock at the Disney Music Emporium website.

The original announcement of this title from a while back indicated that the CD version will be exclusive to Disney Music Emporium, as was the case with The Hunchback of Notre Dame last year. So I would not expect it to become available at other retailers.

Hunchback became available digitally, but I haven't seen anything about when a digital release for this version of Aladdin might occur.

The track list on the website indicates several new score tracks, but they did not keep the "Proud of Your Boy" and "High Adventure" demos that were previously released on the 2004 Special Edition soundtrack. And of course I would assume that "Arabian Nights" has the revised "it's flat and immense and the heat is intense" lyric in it. So I don't plan on getting rid of my original 1992 CD. But I look forward to adding this edition to it.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It shows "Out of Stock" for me.
Me too.

That was fast.

Hopefully they get more in soon for people who missed it. On the bright side, strong sales for it should encourage Disney to continue the Legacy Collection series.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Funny enough, I was thinking about the Legacy Collection randomly when Rosie and I were out for our morning walk. I guess I'll keep my ears and eyes open for this release to come back around.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They've now taken down the product page altogether.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got an email from the Emporium today telling me that they had "saved my cart"--which contained Aladdin and another CD.

Yet when I logged in just now, my cart was empty. :rolleyes:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Legacy Collection release of Aladdin is now available digitally on Apple Music and Amazon with a listed running time of 1 hour 50 minutes.

Amazon has no sign of the physical CD version, which aligns with the previous indication that the CD would be a Disney Music Emporium exclusive.

Aladdin Legacy Collection.jpg

A few observations from listening to the new album:

1) "Arabian Nights" is the revised lyric version. This is not the least bit surprising as the original lyric hasn't been presented since the original edition of the soundtrack in 1992. However, it does mean that I'm still keeping my original soundtrack as well.

2) "Legend of the Lamp" is the same old track as usual featuring Robin Williams' monologue as the Peddler trying to sell the lamp. Robin Williams is great, and of course I have no issue with him or his performance whatsoever. However, his monologue is not really a song and it is already available on every previous edition of the soundtrack. Because this release is emphasizing the instrumental underscore, I think it would have been nice to get a version of this track that removes the dialogue and allows us to focus on just the music from this section. This would have been another way to further distinguish this release of the soundtrack from previous ones.

3) A Whole New World has a different introduction in the film than on the previous soundtrack album, which used with a piano solo. The instrumental score which leads up to the song is present on the previous track, "Ali Comes Courting." I don't believe this score cue has ever been released before outside of the film. However, instead of going seamlessly from the score cue into the singing as the film does, this CD decides to include the same soundtrack version of "A Whole New World" as has always been there. This version has a piano opening in place of the instrumental score. So, if you're listening to this album straight through, you get both the score opening to "A Whole New World" and the piano section that was designed to replace the score left off the original album. This somewhat spoils the transition into the song because you don't need both. If they're including the underscore opening, it doesn't also need the piano opening, which was made just for the soundtrack and is not in the film. They could have included the soundtrack version as a bonus track, or not at all, since the majority of buyers probably already have this version. This is not a dealbreaker, but it does leave this album with an odd transition which doesn't totally reflect what is in the film.

4) The 2004 release of the soundtrack to tie in with the DVD included demo versions of "Proud of Your Boy" and "High Adventure." There are other bonus tracks on the Legacy release, but these two are not included. So if you want to keep those tracks, you'll need to retain the previous CD in addition to this one.

5) The good news is that there is a lot of score here that I've never heard before outside of when I'm watching the film. It is the reason to pick up this album.

I haven't noticed anything missing, although I haven't finished listening to the entire album yet. In any case, the addition of several newly released score cues and the reorganization so that tracks are In chronological order make this a clear win for anybody who loves Aladdin. While the error with Hunchback last year is regrettable, I still don't regret buying that album. It still gave me much more music from Hunchback than I've ever had before, so I think that was a worthwhile purchase. Aladdin is a worthwhile purchase, too. This is the one that I've wanted more than anything else and I am delighted that it is finally out.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Great info, Jake, thank you. And you make excellent points. I have enjoyed these legacy releases, but I wish they had consulted fans for exactly these reasons. I wish I could have been a consultant on the Mary Poppins legacy set. :)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Please Disney, someday do The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow, and the Prince and the Pauper (animated version with Mickey)

Three

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My physical copy of the Aladdin Legacy Collection album came in the mail. I'm not saying this as a brag but because I can provide more details regarding the physical edition.

The back cover artwork is Genie.

The book includes liner notes by Alan Menken about his work on the project. He mentions several deleted songs. Unfortunately, only one of those deleted songs is actually present on this album. "Why Me?" was an earlier song for Jafar which was replaced by his reprise of Prince Ali.

The other bonus tracks are alternate score cues. These are interesting to hear, but Menken doesn't mention them in his notes. This renders the selection of extra material kind of odd because most of the deleted material mentioned in the notes isn't actually here. Some of these songs are on other editions of the soundtrack and/or DVD/Blu-ray bonus features that have been released over the years. A few of them are were added back in for the Broadway show. But it would have been nice to have everything in one place.

The first disc ends with "A Whole New World" and runs 61 minutes. The second disc covers the rest, plus bonus tracks and totals 51 minutes. I'm not sure precisely how long the rest of the cut songs that Menken are or if their exclusion is a disc space issue. It just seems odd not to include

It is worth noting that Menken is the only person to contribute liner notes. John Musker, Chris Montan and David Watts all contributed additional liner notes to the Legacy Collection release of The Little Mermaid. None of them do so again here. Of course, If you're only going to include liner notes from one person, Alan Menken is the one person who should do it, but I still noticed that he was the only one this time.

Lyrics are included as usual, and a list of the musicians who played in the orchestra. There is also behind the scenes concept art from the development of the film.

Despite a few minor observations I already made, I'm still thrilled with this release. It is as close to definitive as we are ever likely to get for this movie. I don't see any reason for anyone who is interested in it not to pick it up when more copies become available.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney Music Emporium has relisted the Aladdin Legacy Collection CD.

@Mike Frezon @Jason_V @KPmusmag hopefully you all can get one now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jake. I've ordered mine (along with the latest DL Official Album). Man, there's a lot of new tracks on that one--attractions I know very little about. I've only ever been to WDW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks