What's new

all in the family seasons 7-9 (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
People are so used to seeing everything on film now that they think that's how everything should look. Has there been a videotaped series since Married With Children or was that the last one? If so, then its been 15 years since we've seen one. As to the first 6 seasons, knowing Sony, I'm sure they did not go back to the 2-inch masters but instead used copies that had been made at some point to another format like 1 inch or Beta SP.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
People are so used to seeing everything on film now that they think that's how everything should look. Has there been a videotaped series since Married With Children or was that the last one? If so, then its been 15 years since we've seen one. As to the first 6 seasons, knowing Sony, I'm sure they did not go back to the 2-inch masters but instead used copies that had been made at some point to another format like 1 inch or Beta SP.
"The Nanny" was the last videotaped, standard definition sitcom I can recall. Although some of the Disney Channel's (uniformly awful) sitcoms look like they are shot on tape and converted (badly) to 24p. Most scripted shows that don't use film do use either HD tape or hard drive storage but capture it in HD at 24p. The theatrical look Norman Lear popularized is dead on sitcoms today; the few sitcoms today still done in front of studio audiences look like filmed shows. I agree with you that the seasons of AitF that Sony released look pretty bad on DVD, but none of the other Lear shows look that bad. Is this one's original tapes in a more precarious condition than the others, forcing Sony to use later generation tapes?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
MatthewA said:
"The Nanny" was the last videotaped, standard definition sitcom I can recall. Although some of the Disney Channel's (uniformly awful) sitcoms look like they are shot on tape and converted (badly) to 24p. Most scripted shows that don't use film do use either HD tape or hard drive storage but capture it in HD at 24p. The theatrical look Norman Lear popularized is dead on sitcoms today; the few sitcoms today still done in front of studio audiences look like filmed shows. I agree with you that the seasons of AitF that Sony released look pretty bad on DVD, but none of the other Lear shows look that bad. Is this one's original tapes in a more precarious condition than the others, forcing Sony to use later generation tapes?
It is strange the diparity between AitF and other Lear series on dvd. You'd think with it being the flagship of his series, it would have had premium storage, etc. The first season of Maude looks much better than the contemporary season of AitF. Go figure.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
MatthewA said:
looks much better than the contemporary season of AitF. Go figure.
Maybe this show's tapes got more usage and therefore more wear than the others.

I don't hate the final season, even though it feels anticlimactic and more like Archie Bunker's Place: Season 0. The final scene of the original series (Archie lying in bed with Edith saying "I ain't nuttin wit'out you") is genuinely heartfelt and memorable. I probably would pick it up eventually. But it's obvious Norman Lear was ready to move on. His role after that became less of a supervisory role and more of a company head role (useless trivia: Alan Horn, who succeeded him as production supervisor on all the company's shows this year, is now the head of Warner Bros.).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
Anyone interested in Season 9? Anyone know if SHOUT is planning it?

In the AITF S8 thread over at the Shout boards, Brian Ward has already mentioned something about the clip show hosted by Norman Lear being planned as a part of the season 9 set, so I'd say that's as official an unofficial confirmation as we're liable to get until the set is announced.

And yes, I'm ready to have the gap between AITF and my lonely Archie Bunker's Place S1 set filled!

...then, S2 of ABP, of course.

HELLOLARRY

Agent
Real Name
David
There is a retrospective episode in season 9 which was the 200th episode of the series. It aired on 3-4-79. The description of the show (Lear introduces clips from past episodes and there are brief comments from the 100 couples (representing 48 states) who have been selected to attend the taping) is similar to the 20th Anniversary special that aired in 1991. So I wonder if the 20th Anniversary special was a retooled version of this particular episode in season 9. What is interesting to me that in my market (Chicago) and on TV Land / Nick at Nite, I don't recall this episode being shown. It is a 90 minute episode so that would've been split into three parts in syndication. I just don't know if it is part of the package at all. They do show the clip episode hosted by Henry Fonda. Looking forward to season 9.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Most likely. The Carol Burnett Show tapes look infinitely better than AitF, and they were recorded at CBS Television City as well, using the same cameras.

Here's hoping the clip show is definitely included in S9.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Little old Shout! Factory finishes what a large studio refused to. The folks at Sony must feel like a bunch of meatheads.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We recently picked up seasons six and seven of All In the Family. I noticed that season seven was distributed by Shout!. It took a while to get used to the different menu, but I'm quite pleased that they took the initiative and released these. :)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Little old Shout! Factory finishes what a large studio refused to. The folks at Sony must feel like a bunch of meatheads.
That is so rude! Sony isn't a bunch of meatheads; they're a bunch of dingbats!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I haven't read the whole thread. I'll get to it... if the answers is already here then just ignore me.
Had a question. I noticed at amazon.com they have Season 7 & 8 together in a set. HERE
Was wondering if that is different than what they released for the separate 7 & 8 sets. I just order the 7&8 set along with 9 to finally complete the series. I could go back and get the separate ones instead if it's different.
The company name is not Shout! but Uni Dist Corp. Kind of odd. I didn't want to order some weird bootleg set on amazon. I want the real thing.
Thanks.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mine arrived and these are all Shout! releases. The 2 season set, 7 & 8, look fine. In fact, they all look great! I'm on Season 5 so I'm hoping to hurry through and get to these news ones I haven't seen in years.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
vnisanian2001 said:
Seasons 8 and 9 look great. 7, not so much.
Others have said that. I only remember the show as being awesome throughout. For the record, it won or was nominated for awards throughout its run. And had high ratings as well. I think it was often neck and neck with Mary Tyler Moore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks