What's new

all in the family seasons 7-9 (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
So I see there's more complaining, as always. Now it's about the "visual look" of Season 7, eh?

Look, folks -- I too noticed the "different" appearance of the episodes in Season 7 right away, but for crying out loud, at least we've got the shows. I am grateful to Sony and SHOUT, and am thrilled. It didn't take long for me to get accustomed to the different look, and all these episodes are still highly enjoyable. As a matter of fact, I've forgotten just how funny SEASON 7 was! Whatever I noticed when I started watching the first episode became undetectable in the next episodes. This is just not a big deal.

It would be nice if we could stop finding things to complain about every time a movie or TV show is released. Throughout all these season sets there have been complaints of one type or another, about poor quality videotape masters - or the show being "too zoomed in", etc. And saying "I refuse to buy the show if this is not fixed" is not going to spite the company, but may hurt the fans of this series who want to see the rest of the seasons be released. Let us just enjoy the SHOW. I know I'm enjoying this season more than I remembered.

Season 8 has been announced, thankfully, and I hope Shout and Sony don't decide to pull it, thanks to the whining.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JohnMor
"Unwatchable"??? To me it's barely noticeable and in all respects the video quality is a huge improvement over the Sony sets. Huge improvement. Of course, I only have a 46" display, so maybe it's more noticeable on larger screens.
I agree, John. And I have a 46" TV too.

HELLOLARRY

Agent
Real Name
David
Unwatchable is a little harsh IMO. While I do notice it, I get over it after a while and do notice that some of the episodes aren't as bad as the others. I'm watching these on a 65 inch televison. Too bad if one feels such a thing to an extent that it keeps them from buying the set, you're missing out however that is one's decision to make. I'd still like to see what the 'official' explanation is from Shout! after they've looked into it.

If someone noticed it in a Jeffersons Sony DVD I would say they were to blame on the condition, not Shout!. I'd rather have an official release than the edits off of television. While there is a small edit in the first episode and it is a little annoying, I do have it in my 'off air' copy so it doesn't bother me much and all the other episodes on the discs are unedited.

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
[SIZE= 18px]Now before anyone of you gets upset at this writing I am not...repeat "AM NOT" talking to any of you. I just want to say this to SHOUT FACTORY. Please ignore the giant elephant tears for they know not what they say. My TV is a quarter mile wide and a football field tall and your picture looks great to me! It looks good on my 32 inch as well. You just keep up the good work and turn your nose from the wind. Because personally I'm glad you're out there. And I want you to stay here! Continue picking up stalled seasons of (MY) (I wrote it...I can say it) favorite shows! You see I won't complain. Your fan..Mr. Ed [/SIZE]

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Saying "ignore them" isn't going to change the blunt reality that these prints do NOT look the way they are supposed to look and whether that is Shout or Sony's fault isn't the point. Someone screwed up things beacuse a show shot on videotape is NOT, repeat NOT supposed to look like ersatz film unless you are engaging in procedures that should have gone out the day kinescoping came to an end. I absolutely hate and despise it when videotape material is altered from the way it's supposed to look because for someone like me who has seen these episodes so many times the *right* way my eye can not and never will adjust completely to it being done the wrong way. This is also I might add what made the BCI release of episodes of "Password" unwatchable because they did a similar screw-up and as a result I don't even watch it all, sticking to my own off-air recordings.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Are any of the posters in this thread interested in Shout's upcoming 'Larry Sanders' (complete series) release?
If so, does anybody believe the same issue might be repeated in the 'Larry Sanders' release?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Jack P
Saying "ignore them" isn't going to change the blunt reality that these prints do NOT look the way they are supposed to look and whether that is Shout or Sony's fault isn't the point. Someone screwed up things beacuse a show shot on videotape is NOT, repeat NOT supposed to look like ersatz film
Well, it definitely still looks like videotape. It doesn't look like ersatz film at all. And even with the anomaly, still looks much better than the previous Sony sets.

barnefrank

Auditioning
Real Name
Barne Frank
Yes dear. All in the Family was a nice show and used to watch it on CBS TV Live. Now this shows DVD are released and some are to release. Season 7 has released on Oct-5,2010 and season 8 is to release on Jan-11,2011.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I got the new Season 8 of AIF and have been watching it. Looks nice to me, quality-wise.

I'm pretty sure this will be my last DVD season for this show, because I don't have any interest in the Stephanie eps or once Mike and Gloria move. I don't have this etched in stone yet, however.

Anyone know if Shout! Factory intends to go further?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

I tend to agree regarding season eight being the last season for me as well. But we'll see how it goes. I just picked up seasons six and seven recently, and am working my way through season six. Thus far, the episodes look quite good.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I must say I really enjoy the visual look of the episodes on Season 8, and I also like Season 7. If the folks at SHOUT were to go back and acquire the first 6 seasons and make them look as good as 7 and 8, I'd actually go back and re-buy all of them!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I could not disagree more on the look of S7. By Shout's own admission, the encoding job on S7 was completely screwed up resulting in an image that to my eyes looked like a kinescope instead of a videotape recording. An identical botch job happened on the late BCI's release of classic episodes of "Password" that rendered those episodes completely unwatchable for me. At least on S8, the encoding was done correctly and this time the episodes look like videotape source material instead of fake film.

HELLOLARRY

Agent
Real Name
David
While season 7 was a little jittery in it's movements at times I don't think it had a kinescope or fake film look to me. I know different people had different experiences viewing these depending on how they were viewing them (equpiment/tv size etc). In my experience, the image was still very clear and the jittery-ness was something I got past very quickly. It wasn't on every episode anyway and wasn't a deal breaker. Aside from the snip in the first episode, these will be the versions I'll retain and watch as they are complete. It didn't take away from my viewing experience at all.

It's a tired argument already. They aren't going to do a replacement program because not everyone experienced the same thing. It happened, it was explained, it was corrected, and people need to move on.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, it wasn't corrected for S7 it remains permanently botched just as I've seen other companies botch things that didn't have to be botched (the Ellery Queen set using the wrong music over the pilot movie credits). I think if there weren't too many critics out there who have an instinctive bias against videotape source material, this problem would have been a lot more evident.

Shout does not deserve a free pass for the things they do wrong anymore than CBS/Paramount does.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If there can be an acknowledgment they screwed up, that would help. Most of us moved on from "The Fugitive" debacle because we know they screwed up but I can never fathom this determination to assume Shout can never do any wrong.

HELLOLARRY

Agent
Real Name
David
I don't recall saying they could do no wrong (I can only speak for myself) so please stop fathoming where my post is concerned. . In fact, when it was brought up, Shout! did acknowledge there was an encoding issue...about two months ago. The whining about it is old already when the company has long since responded to and acknowledged the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks