What's new

Acceptable 27" (1 Viewer)

Jordan_C

Auditioning
Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm definately a newb to HT, but...

Moving into my first place and I need a new TV. I have an old Sony Trinitron 27" and I like the size, but the picture is horrible now as it's fairly old. So I'd like a 27" flat screen, dimensions aren't really a big deal as I'll be building the rest of the setup around the TV. I'd like it to not be too high over the $400 mark(poor college student). I figured this would be a good place to find out some options.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I'm going to start sounding like a JVC salesman on this forum because I've reccomended this set so many times. Check out the JVC AV-27FA44 I've seen it for as low as $277.00 & it is the only 27" Flat Tube set on the market that comes with a one year labor warranty. It has the 16:9 DVD Mode, A pro-color temp. setting & the SVM can be turned on or off. Do a search on it on this forum & you should get plenty of info on it. If you need a set that has a Video Output check out the Flat Tube Toshiba's.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
If you hunt around, you should be able to find the Sony KV27FS100 (27" Wega) in the $400 range. I've had one of those for almost 3 years and it's got a great picture, 16x9 enhanced mode for DVDs, plenty of inputs, and even pretty decent sound. Highly recommended.

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto on Nick_rh

The Sony Wega 27" is the best looking direct view tv on the market. Despite JVC, Tosh and Panasonic and Samsung catching up fast I think Sony still is in the lead with direct view tvs at all sizes up to the 40" WEGA.

Their 34 16x9 is a stunner.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I was in the market for a Sony Wega 27" when I opted for the Zenith C27V36. It is about $200 more($600-650). It's an HDTV set and is worth EVERY CENT. I have a Sony Wega in my computer room and while it has a good picture the Zenith BLOWS it away! DVDs look amazing! You might want to save up a little to open up more options, but if you can't wait the Sony Wega is a decent choice.

Lisa Menin

Agent
I second the comment about the Zenith C27V36. I just bought it for a bedroom and the picture is terrific for both analog cable and dvds. Analog cable actually looks almost as good as HD. I am going to hook up a new HD cable box on Thursday. Bought it at Circuit City for around $650 with a $50 gift card as a rebate.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have been singing the praises of the Samsung TXN2668WHF. This is a 26" widescreen HDTV which can be had at Sears for about $539 right now. I know that's over your price range right now, but still maybe something you want to consider. Here's a link to the set at Sears.com

Picture is awesome! :emoji_thumbsup: Go to Sears and check one out!

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
For what it's worth here's the rundown on 27"ers according to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports mag. $ are retail, I saw the #1 rated Tosh for $399 at American TV about a month ago.

1. Toshiba Cinems Series 27AF53 $500
2. JVC l'Art AV-27FA44 $430
3. Panasonic Tau Pureflat CT-27SL33 $430
4. Sony FD Triniton Wega KV-27FS210 $550
5. Toshiba FST Black 27A43 $280
6. Panasonic E Series CT-27E33 $320
7. Panasonic Tau Pureflat CT-27SL13 $400
8. RCA 27F530T $350
9. Sanyo DS27930 (Walmart) $280
10. Sharp F830 Series 27F830 $420
11. Panasonic E Series CT-27E13 $280
12. JVC l'Art AV-27FA54 $400
13. Samsung Dynaflat TXN2730F $360
14. Phillips Designer Series 27PT643R $350
15. Apex Digital PF2730 $350
16. Apex Digital AT2708S $200

I just went through the process of evaluating and purchasing a 27" TV with the same budget constraints, and I ended up with the Sony Wega KV-27FS100. The picture is really amazing on this TV. The reception of the tuner is also quite good, considering I'm running rabbit ears off of this thing. I should mention that the models I looked at were limited due to having CC giftcards. I would have like to consider the JVC and Toshiba models because I've heard good things abou them, and Sharp TVs are rated reliably and have a nice picture, too. It's definitely hard to go out and look at TVs and figure out which one looks best at a store. Figure out what features you want, see which models have those features, do some research online to see what people's experiences have been, take a look at the store, and then look for a good deal.

I looked at the Panasonic CT-27SL13, CT-27E13, CT-27L8S, Samsung TXN2730F and TXN2726, and the Sony KV-27FS100. I wasn't locking myself into buying a flat-screen tv, but I liked a lot of the features included on the flat-screens, like the 16:9 mode on the Sony. I also found the menus and configurability of the Sony to be much better than the others after playing around with them at the store a little while. The panasonic tube seemed rather dark and if brightness and contrast were turned up all the way it still didn't seem very bright - I might worry about the life of the tube on that one. The picture of the Samsung seemed so far off that I didn't want to have to mess with taking it home and calibrating it, especially since they seem to continuously change the service menu codes so that you don't know what you're changing :).

I think that the panasonics have a nice picture for the price, if you don't need a flat-screen. The 27L8S actually appeared to have a better picture than the 27E13 in the store. I probably would have got that TV if it had audio output. The sound on the panasonics is very good, especially on the 27SL13. It is better than the sound on my sony, from what I heard. This doesn't really matter if you have a receiver to hook your tv up to, though.

Although I like the Pannys, I have to say that it seems Consumer Reports is biased toward them - how do you put the CT-27SL33 and SL13, CT-27E33 and E13 all in the same review when they're essentially the same TV? And only one of the Sony models (the 2 tuner pip one, which is much more expensive)! C'mon, that smells of something.

In Consumer Report's reliability data, Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC, and Sony are all within one or two percent for major repairs required, nothing to influene you one way or the other, I think.

The Sony's MSRP is now $400, so you shouldn't have a problem finding it for that price anywhere. Don't let any sites fool you into thinking that you're getting a better deal because they just dropped they price to $400.

If you have a membership to a warehouse club that is often a good place to look for good deals on these TVs. JVC and Panasonic are often carried at these clubs near me.

Hope this helps!

Matt

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I've had a Sony 27" Wega for a few years now and I can second all the great comments about it. Although it's given way to my X1 as the centerpiece of my entertainment center, it served me very well and I still use it as a secondary TV and for non-HD TV and video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks