What's new

"A Star Is Born" Garland in 6k resolution (1 Viewer)

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Oh I am really excited the film is being re-released, I have been a huge fan of this film and I attended the 1983 premiere of the restored version at Radio City Music Hall. It was the most enthusiastic audience for a movie I have ever been a part of; literally almost every scene change received applause.

Without a doubt, the big selling point for me is that Warners included the alternate takes of so many scenes; they should be fascinating to watch and to hear.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Richard M S

Oh I am really excited the film is being re-released, I have been a huge fan of this film and I attended the 1983 premiere of the restored version at Radio City Music Hall. It was the most enthusiastic audience for a movie I have ever been a part of; literally almost every scene change received applause.

Without a doubt, the big selling point for me is that Warners included the alternate takes of so many scenes; they should be fascinating to watch and to hear.
I would think the alternate takes of the musical numbers would use the same prerecording of the songs used in the final film. Aren't prerecordings done before the actual start of filming?
Perhaps " A Star Is Born " is different because "Born In A Trunk" was added after they began shooting the film.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
The alternate takes will almost certainly use the same pre-recording as the finished film; however the audio vault does contain what appear to be rehearsal takes of other numbers in the film, which should prove equally interesting.......to me anyway.

No it doesn't excist. WB would of worked something out with him or her. If Mr Collector does have the footage they can contact me.
[email protected] somehow I don't think they will. Mr Joe if thre is such person you should help but somehow its hard for me to belive that this footage is out there. Maybe it is but if someone has it MAYBE they don't know what they have...

WHen the call was out to cut the prints "ALL THE PRINTS OF THE 3hr VERSION WAS CUT". IF someone has the missing footage then tha's all they have the missing footage. Theatre owners also had no choice but to play the SHORT VERSION after Warner Brothers decided to cut the film.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Stan, yo insist, for some reason to bury your head in the sand, The stuff DOES exist. The person who has it (not, per se a collector) KNOWS what he has.
You again, insist this person contact you. You a not a restoration person or work for the Academy or warners. As I asked before, why the hell should they contact you?

Because I can be trusted. I do know people that work for the studio. How can you be trusted? I think your not telling the truth.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Stan Heck

Because I can be trusted. I do know people that work for the studio. How can you be trusted? I think your not telling the truth.

Let me step in here and remind you that we don't allow personal attacks here so please refrain from doing so in the future. Thank you.

Robert Crawford
HTF Moderator

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I bought that DVD of MEET JOE BLACK for the extra DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY.

Although I know the 1954 A STAR IS BORN is a classic and I will most likely get it on BluRay, I personally prefer the 1937 version, and if that was included, I would preorder this edition right away.

If Mr Collector has the Footage he can send the footage to the Los Angles times or the E-Channel. He can make a deal with a reporter. He can send the footage to them

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Heck. As I said before, he is NOT a collector. And again, why the hell would he sned this material to you or ANY of the other choices you have offered. You make no sense.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Richard M S

Yes, I agree! The Alternate Takes is what interested me about this release too! I would love to see them!!!!!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
as an asset he'd be stupid to let warner's have it, once it is released on DVD it has zero value any more as a film print.

On the other hand, having the only existing version of it makes it very collectible as the only existing copy.

The smart thing to do would be to sell it on the black market to a private european or asian art collector for several million.

Originally Posted by Robin9
Holding the copyright is not the same as owning individual prints. If this rumoured print does exist, it belongs to the owner. He does not have the right to screen it in public or to sell or lease it to a DVD producing company but the physical entity is still his property - assuming of course that he obtained it legally. Warners do not have the right to seize this print any more than they have the right to confiscate your DVD of A Star Is Born.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm not sure the statement that the gentleman owns the print is correct. The only way he can legally own the print is to have purchased it from Warner Brothers. They paid for the print to be produced so it should be their property. They keep records of the prints they produce, though as in this case, it escaped. If the gentleman received the print from a projectionist, one of the film depots that were scattered across the country or as a several collectors do, find it in a trash dump then the print is still Warner's property just as a desk at their offices would be. They never received compensation for their purchase of the print nor gave permission for the person to take it.

More than likely this print was to sent to the dumpster to be destroyed, but was rescued by a collector (if so thank goodness). The film depot would have sent the paperwork to Warner's saying that they destroyed the print, when in fact they did not. This is just like the DVD company that was to destroy the over stocked DVDs from Warner's and ended up selling them to Big Lots.

I also do not believe that the so called complete print exists. If it did, Warner's would know who has it, secrets are not keep very long on news like this and they would have worked something out with him. This story has been living as long as THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS complete print found in Argentina has.

There also has been some great stories of film companies, expressly Warner's, working with collectors to find complete prints and the deals have been amicable for both sides. Lately they have been working to find the best elements of the Bowery Boys and I understand several collectors helped with that project. Again, if this print does exist, the collector does not need to fear Warner's, but only what time will do the print if it is not handled and protected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks