What's new

"A Star Is Born" Garland in 6k resolution (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack Theakston

I don't think this would be the case. WB would be happy to obtain and preserve the missing footage, and I'm sure they'd take good care of it.
I'm sure that's most likely true if the home video people at WB got their hands on it first. Unfortunately WB is an enormous operation and all it takes is one overzealous employee in the wrong place and poof it's gone.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

The film as it is plays like a rough first cut, especially the opening sequence which contains a lot of redundant shots and overlong shots that belabor the points being made.
Can you give some examples of the "redundant" and "overlong" shots? Cos I can't find them.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer

I'm sure that's most likely true if the home video people at WB got their hands on it first. Unfortunately WB is an enormous operation and all it takes is one overzealous employee in the wrong place and poof it's gone.
Surely Warner would be aware of the immense value of that long considered lost footage?

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
I for one would love to see these Missing Scenes from this movie! I don't like the 'Still Pictures' regarding this movie: "A Star Is Born" with only the Original Audio playing in the background. It makes me sad that these scenes were carelessly lost! MGM wouldn't have done this since they saved everything they could get their hands on when making their Films!

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Greg2356

I for one would love to see these Missing Scenes from this movie! I don't like the 'Still Pictures' regarding this movie:
I agree. If they can't include the missing footage, I hope they at least use seamless branching so it is possible to watch the film without the stills.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by BethHarrison

Can you give some examples of the "redundant" and "overlong" shots? Cos I can't find them.

Here's an example of redundancy: There are three separate shots from inside her limosine of Lola Lavery waving to the mob of people outside her car. One shot would do.

And as far as shots being overlong: The shots of Norman Maine staggering around backstage at the Shrine go on and on and on long after the point is made.

A good editor could have eliminated a full five minutes from that opening sequence alone without cutting a word of dialogue. When a movie is coming in at nearly three hours, this is exactly the kind of thing you tighten up so that the story moves more briskly. And this is exactly the kind of thing that Cukor was talking about when he said he could eliminate nearly half an hour out of the running time without anyone noticing. No one particular scene would have been eliminated, but the entire film could have been substantially tightened.

But all the major players are gone now and this version of "A Star is Born" should stand as a testament to what they did accomplish and not what could have been. By all means, put back the missing footage if it ever comes to light, but it's far too late to be eliminating "Born in a Trunk." Should we eliminate "As Time Goes By" from Casablanca? Max Steiner never liked it because it was an old forgotten tune that was foisted upon him when he wanted to write something new.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Yeah, they could take out that whole Coconut Grove sequence too. I've never understood why that 2 minute long take featuring some of the most complex staging in an early CinemaScope film was left in.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robin9

The "controversy" originated with George Cukor telling interviewers that he thought inserting the number was a mistake which unbalanced the movie. For example in Cukor by Carlos Clarens (Secker & Warburg, 1976, SBN 436 09942 X) Cukor says The picture was mangled after the premier. They thought it was over-long, which it probably was, except that everything was in the right place. So they cut important scenes to make room for the endless "Born In A Trunk" number, which I did not direct - it was put together by the art director and the choreographer
Wasn't "Born In A Trunk" added because it was felt without a big number there was nothing in the film that showed why Esther was a star ? I guess that is also true of the 1937 version. The problem with making a musical out of a drama is that you need to condense the story to get the musical numbers in. . When you do cut the story it makes for a musical which is not as good as the original . Examples I can think of are the Philadelphia Story which was remade as the musical High Society and Ninochka which was remade as Silk Stockings. Its tough when the songs don't move the plot along as is the case with "Born In A Trunk," where the characters are spending 10 to 15 minutes watching Esther's movie.

If possible, I think there should be many ways to watch the film on the next blu-ray /standard release.
1. The short version which is how the film existed from 1954 to 1983.
2. The film with the found musical numbers without the stills for those who hate the stills.
3. The film with the found musical numbers and the stills.

As an extra I think they should include the found musical numbers or perhaps a way to just run all the musical numbers.

Another extra should be all soundtrack that was cut to make the short version and not just the cut soundtrack that was still cut after the restoration in 1983 as was done in the current DVD release.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member

Surely Warner would be aware of the immense value of that long considered lost footage?
Only if the person who ended up with the footage knew a) what it was and b) that they had been looking for it. Otherwise "eh, it's a bunch of trims. Burn it."

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer

Only if the person who ended up with the footage knew a) what it was and b) that they had been looking for it. Otherwise "eh, it's a bunch of trims. Burn it."
I thought it wouldn't just be trims, it would be part of a full print.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I can't get to far into this publicly.
One- this involves at least two prints and possibly a third. All with the same person.
Said person was NOT a collector who got it out of a garbage dump. He was a warner employee getting it FOR Warners. We have many great Warner films in their original form BECAUSE of this same person.
these prints had been rumored to be around forever. When warners cut the film, it was to get more play times in per day. Notes went out HOW to cut the film, but if the distrib wwanted to play the long version, they still could. A chicago distrib. also a big garland fan did not cut three prints. He died and these prints ended up with a go-between in Arizona. the Warner employee negotiated to get the prints from him.
Later, after retrieving many good things for the company, company politics and backstabbing kicked in. Said employee had enough, didn't need the money, and left the company without ever offering StAR to the company.
A few years passed and friends begged him to preserve the film and get it to the public. He agreed, but rightly did not want to do it directly with warners, as he knew he would just get screwed again. He started to work on the project through Roddy Macdowall and the film academy. then Roddy passed away and it all came to a halt.

to clear a few other things - these are complete prints, NOT trims.
Also, it was mentined earlier that MGM save everything. Bull . Warners couldnt' find a version of Quo Vadis that had the original intermission and end of act one. Raintree country had been held up because the 70 mm negative is the cut version. Where is all the missing stuff from wizard of Oz, the Pirate, the still missing number cut from Brigadoon, the Rhymes Have I number from Kismet?

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
I am so glad that according to you Joe the Complete Prints do actually exist, and they are not just the trims! Thank you so very much for letting us know this!!!!!! At least there is a chance that one day "A Star Is Born" could be fully restored!!!!!!!

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Greg2356
I doubt Warner would bother with a 6K restoration unless they could improve on the Ronald Haver version in terms of content as well as A/V quality.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I doubt Warner would bother with a 6K restoration unless they could improve on the Ronald Haver version in terms of content as well as A/V quality.
Anything is possible but I would think if they were showing a complete "A Star Is Born" at the Turner Film Festival they would be advertising it by now. Still it is the opening feature of the Festival and you need more than the basic $499 Festival ticket to see it. Maybe Warner Bros. is saving the news as a big surprise.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Originally Posted by Joe Caps

Raintree country had been held up because the 70 mm negative is the cut version.
This is off-topic, but do you happen to know the status of RAINTREE COUNTY? I'm hoping we'll see it soon.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Speaking of WB trims, does anyone have the complete number of "Together Where Ever We Go" from "Gypsy" the first section and lead in to the song are missing. Also is there a 35mm copy anywhere, the 16mm leaves a lot to be desired. Ironically there are so many stills from this number and it is the only time the three stars appear together in a number.

What about the "Necessity" number from "Finain's Rainbow" FF Coppola says on the commentary he filmed it, but the studio deleted it. The song is on the LP and CD.

There is no complete 3 hr print of A STAR IS BORN. This person is lying. He mut be John Edwards. If the footage was found or turned into Warner Brothere then It would of been leaked by now. Besides I do no think WB would resotre the film in 6k if there was still missing footage they know is OUT THERE. That would not happen

No New Footage....according to a press release that someone posted on thejudyroom.com message board. There are some alternate takes that will be in the bonus features, but the newly restored print is from the Haver restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks