What's new

"A Star Is Born" Garland in 6k resolution (1 Viewer)

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Do you mean the alternate 3 strip Technicolor version of The Man that Got Away that is already on the existing DVD?

EDIT. I found this on the above mentioned forum:

A STAR IS BORN (1954)

GLORIOUSLY RESTORED 2-DISC DELUXE SPECIAL EDITION ARRIVES ON BLU-RAY JUNE 22

Honoring the gripping masterpiece that marked Judy Garland's triumphant return to the screen, A Star is Born (1954) will reveal its stunning restoration by Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging (MPI) when it debuts on Blu-ray Disc June 22, 2010 from Warner Home Video (SRP $34.99) in a dazzling 2-disc book format with 40 pages of gorgeous photography, film history and more.

Winner of two Golden Globes* (Best Actress, Judy Garland and Best Actor, James Mason) and nominated for six Academy Awards®**, this powerfully moving and glamorous story reawakens when it arrives on Blu-ray Disc for the very first time. Offering the best possible way to see the film at home, the Blu-ray release will also feature impressive bonus content including alternate takes, deleted scenes, excerpts from Garland's audio recording sessions, a collectible book of rare photos, press materials and an illuminating essay by film historian John Fricke. The film will also be released as a Deluxe Special Edition 2-Disc DVD (SRP $20.97) and will be available day and date on Video on Demand from cable and satellite providers and for electronic download from online retailers including Amazon Video on Demand.

Famously reconstructed in the early eighties under the leadership of late film historian Ronald Haver, MPI has meticulously preserved and restored Haver's 176-minute version of A Star is Born to its original luster, bringing back the brilliant, saturated colors and crisp picture. Using cutting edge digital restoration tools, MPI removed heavy chemical staining that affected several portions of the film and utilized an ultra-resolution recombine process to correct the heavily damaged sections. Without this painstaking preservation, the fragile negative stock in which the film was created would surely be near extinction.

"Our colleagues at MPI have not only done a phenomenal job in restoring the impeccable visual style of this great motion picture, but through their work, they have also ensured the survival of this cinematic treasure," said George Feltenstein, senior vice president, theatrical catalog marketing, Warner Home Video. "The unparalleled superiority of Blu-ray combined with one of the best musical dramas ever made, come together to create an unforgettable home entertainment experience that is now preserved for the ages."

A timeless story, sophisticated in the way it conveys its controversial themes, particularly considering the period of time in which it was made, A Star is Born brought together a cadre of extraordinary talent to portray this evocative contemplation of show business. The film became such a major part of American cinematic heritage that the Library of Congress selected it for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

ABOUT THE 1983 RECONSTRUCTION

A Star is Born triumphed anew in 1983 after archivist/historian Ronald Haver spent months ransacking studio vaults to spearhead a reclamation of George Cukor's original edit, ultimately funded by Warner Bros. He located the entire 181-minute soundtrack, along with footage for three lost musical numbers and portions of the deleted dialogue scenes. Where no film existed, Haver used stills-over-track for transition and only slightly trimmed the audio when photographic coverage for some sequences was deemed inadequate. Haver's A Star is Born debuted at the sold-out New York Radio City Music Hall on July 7, 1983, with James Mason, Sid Luft, and Garland's daughters Lorna Luft and Liza Minnelli in attendance. Cukor, who had died six months before, was extolled from the stage by Fay Kanin, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which had encouraged Haver on his search and co-sponsored the screening. It is Haver's assemblage of the picture that is presented in Warner Home Video's June 2010 release on Blu-ray and DVD.

ENHANCED CONTENT
A Star is Born (1954) 2-Disc Deluxe Special Edition DVD/Blu-ray Book Enhanced Content:
1.. Introduction: Run time 3:01
2.. The Man That Got Away - Pink Dress: Run time 5:11 - Additional Take
3.. The Man that Got Away - Brown Dress #1: Run time 4:49 - Additional Take
4.. The Man that Got Away - Brown Dress #2: Run time 4:24 - Additional Take
5.. The Man that Got Away - Brown Dress #3: Run time 4:00 - Additional Take
6.. The Man That Got Away - Brown Dress #4: Run time 4:00 - Additional Take
7.. Here's What I'm here For - Alternate Take: Run time 2:36 - Additional Take
8.. Lose That Long Face - Alternate Take: Run time 4:55 - Additional Take
9.. Trinidad Coconut Oil Shampoo - Alternate Take: Run time 1:24 - Additional Take
10.. When My Sugar Walks Down the Street - Outtake: Run time 0:58 - Additional Take
11.. Suicide Scene - Alternate Take: Run time 2:15 - Additional Take
12.. Film Effects Reel: Run time 0:54
13.. A Report by Jack L. Warner: Run time 6:24 - Vintage Featurette
14.. Huge Premiere Hails 'A Star is Born' Newsreel Montage: Run time 7:49 - Vintage Featurette
15.. 'A Star is Born' Premiere in Cinemascope: Run time 2:05
16.. Pantages Premiere TV Special: Run time 29:30 - Vintage Featurette
17.. A Star is Bored (1956 WB Cartoon): Run time 7:00 - New Featurette
18.. A Star is Born (1937): Run time 2:46 - Trailer
19.. A Star is Born (1954): Run time 3:52 - Trailer
20.. A Star is Born (1976): Run time 3:46 - Trailer
21.. Audio Vault - Oliver on the Phone with the Director Discussing Norman - Outtakes: Run time 2:00 - Audio Only
22.. Audio Vault - Norman and Esther on the Roof of the Hotel Lancaster - Outtakes: Run time 2:00 - Audio Only
23.. Audio Vault - 12/28/1942 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast with Judy Garland and Walter Pidgeon) Run time 60:00 - Audio Only
24.. Audio Vault - Judy Garland Radio Interview: Run time 4:00 - Audio Only
25.. Audio Vault - Born in a Trunk: Run time 9:05 - Audio Only
26.. Audio Vault - Someone At Last - Rehearsal: Run time 10:34 - Audio Only
27.. Audio Vault - Someone At Last: Run time 7:16 - Audio Only
28.. Audio Vault - My Melancholy Baby: Run time 7:06 - Audio Only
29.. Audio Vault - Black Bottom: Run time 1:48 - Audio Only
30.. Audio Vault - Swanee: Run time 4:57 - Audio Only

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.
A STAR IS BORN 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY BOOK AND DELUXE SPECIAL EDITION 2-DISC DVD
Street Date: June 22, 2010
SRP: $34.99 Blu-ray Book $20.97 / Deluxe Special Edition DVD

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
to andrew Budgell - don't know the status of Raintree.

to Stan Heck. the long Star is born certainly exists, Warners knows who has it, and it is amazing the guy was never taken to court. There must be a lot of strange legal issues involved there.

On thenew announcement. it sounds liike the standard dvd is available for down load only?

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Joe Caps

to andrew Budgell - don't know the status of Raintree.

to Stan Heck. the long Star is born certainly exists, Warners knows who has it, and it is amazing the guy was never taken to court. There must be a lot of strange legal issues involved there.

On thenew announcement. it sounds liike the standard dvd is available for down load only?
Nah, it will be released on a a 2 Blu-ray set, a 2 DVD set, download, and cable TV, all on June 22nd:

The film will also be released as a Deluxe Special Edition 2-Disc DVD (SRP $20.97) and will be available day and date on Video on Demand from cable and satellite providers and for electronic download from online retailers including Amazon Video on Demand.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Doesn't look like it. Only the trailer.
That would be a major disappointment. Big enough for me to skip this release. I was far more excited to a see a proper restoration of the '37 release than a slightly improved Garland version. I already have both on DVD, the earlier film needs much more work.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
If the 1937 version isn't included, I don't have a reason to buy it; it was the only reason I was looking forward to this release. This seems to be a recurring pattern at WB. We were earlier told that the 1929 version of THE LETTER would be included with the 1940 version, and that PRISONER OF ZENDA would include the 1922 version. These evaporated when the DVDs finally came about. I don't know whether rights problems may be at issue, but these problems should have been ironed out before announcing titles that later vanish without further comment. What a disappointment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

That would be a major disappointment. Big enough for me to skip this release. I was far more excited to a see a proper restoration of the '37 release than a slightly improved Garland version. I already have both on DVD, the earlier film needs much more work.

I think you're rationalizing your decision not to purchase this release if you think there is only going to be a slight improvement with this high definition release.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Danny Burk

If the 1937 version isn't included, I don't have a reason to buy it; it was the only reason I was looking forward to this release. This seems to be a recurring pattern at WB. We were earlier told that the 1929 version of THE LETTER would be included with the 1940 version, and that PRISONER OF ZENDA would include the 1922 version. These evaporated when the DVDs finally came about. I don't know whether rights problems may be at issue, but these problems should have been ironed out before announcing titles that later vanish without further comment. What a disappointment.

In fairness to Warner, has their been an official announcement that this release would include the 1937 version?

Crawdaddy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
By the way, that press release was supposed to be embargoed
until tomorrow.

That site could get in serious trouble for posting it a day early.

We will repost it officially in the morning in a new thread as
we originally planned.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

In fairness to Warner, has their been an official announcement that this release would include the 1937 version?

Crawdaddy

It was not an official announcement, but rather in an interview with George Feltenstein that appeared in, I believe THE NEW YORK TIMES this past fall, that indicated the 1937 version would be included. It was pointed out that WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD? would not included and I recall that created a small stir of people that wanted it.

At the time I surmised that WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD? would be offered at the same time in the Archive collections as I feel the rest of the remaining Judy Garland films will also be offered in the Archives at the same time as A STAR IS BORN is released.

It being included is not a make or break subject. I will own a copy when it comes out with or without the '37 version. I am excited about what the film will look like. I have enjoyed the DVD, but always was a little disappointed with the transfer. I expect a vast improvement with the Blu-ray.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

By the way, that press release was supposed to be embargoed
until tomorrow.
I am sorry for pasting it in this thread. I wouldn't of done so if I knew it was embargoed. I assumed that since it was up there that it had been released.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I think you're rationalizing your decision not to purchase this release if you think there is only going to be a slight improvement with this high definition release.
Partially!

It comes down to the fact that this movie is not one of my absolute favorites. In fact, I enjoy the original version as much if not more than the Garland version, and these are both films that I will watch every 5 years at best. The last time, I watched the Garland version I don't recall having any complaints with the picture quality. I would love to support WB's efforts for film restoration, but in this case the '37 version needs far more care than the remake. If I can find it cheap enough, I will consider upgrading to the Blu-Ray, but it's far from an essential upgrade for me (without the '37 version).

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

The last time, I watched the Garland version I don't recall having any complaints with the picture quality.
Yeah, it is surprisingly good quality for a DVD release that is 9.5 years old.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The last time, I watched the Garland version I don't recall having any complaints with the picture quality.

How you spend your money, is your business so I'm not about to tell you anything different. However, getting a Blu-ray disc of a film isn't about justifying such a purchase because there were complaints with the picture quality from a SD DVD of the same film. It's about having a copy of a film on a video format that is clearly superior to SD DVD. I have over 5000 discs in my collection from DVD to HD DVD to Blu-ray and the best looking SD DVD in my collection isn't even in the same ballpark with my best looking Blu-ray disc. Anyhow, that's the only point I want to make right now.

Crawdaddy

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
How you spend your money, is your business so I'm not about to tell you anything different. However, getting a Blu-ray disc of a film isn't about justifying such a purchase because there were complaints with the picture quality from a SD DVD of the same film. It's about having a copy of a film on a video format that is clearly superior to SD DVD. I have over 5000 discs in my collection from DVD to HD DVD to Blu-ray and the best looking SD DVD in my collection isn't even in the same ballpark with my best looking Blu-ray disc. Anyhow, that's the only point I want to make right now.
I'm not in disagreement with you there. There are many films that I will upgrade to Blu-Ray when the time comes. I was planning on this being one of them, but without the inclusion of the '37 film, the importance drops from a mandatory buy to a Christmas List title. If the price is cheap enough when it streets, I may change my mind....but as it stands right now there are dozens of other films that I'd rather upgrade to Blu-Ray before this.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
For what it's worth, I knew what you meant. The inclusion of the '37 version would have been a big enough inducement to get me to bite. Without it I'll probably pass. For whatever reason, this movie falls into that category of films that are classics that I feel I'm supposed to have in my collection, but aren't films that I go out of my way for. Frankly, if it wasn't for my collector's nature, I probably wouldn't own any copy of the film, so blindly upgrading without a pretty good carrot dangled in front of me is unlikely to happen.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
....but as it stands right now there are dozens of other films that I'd rather upgrade to Blu-Ray before this.
Dozens? In theory or in practice? How many are currently available on Blu-ray?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Dozens? In theory or in practice? How many are currently available on Blu-ray?
I guess I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but yes there are dozens of films that I consider more important, more entertaining, and in higher need of improved picture quality than this one. Are they all available on Blu-Ray yet - NO. I would take any Billy Wilder film, Alfred Hitchcock, Sergio Leone, Howard Hawks, and most of John Ford's Films, not to Mention Citizen Kane, etc..., etc... but that's not the point.

Are there dozens of films that I would like to upgrade and that are currently available - YES. Most of them aren't "Classics" yet, but they are certainly worthy of being upgraded.

Let's try and move on now.

I hope that WB did not entirely drop the restoration efforts on the '37 version. If that comes out separately, I'll snap that up in a second. If it comes out in the archive, I will strongly consider making it my first archive purchase, but I will wait to make sure that some significant work has been done. My current PD version is borderline unwatchable.

Anything going on WB? Anything at all? Pretty please!!

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Count me in as being disappointed that the 37 version is not included, but I will still buy the film. As a fan of Garland, this is truly her penultimate film. Having it in BluRay, and with the accompanying book by John Fricke puts it high on my list. That said, the Gaynor-March version will be missed here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks