What's new

A question about HD Discovery Clear Logo on DISH (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
A quick question regarding the HD Discovery clear logo that appears from time to time on the lower right corner of the screen.

I notice that when this appears (I hate these things!) that I don't see all the lettering. In other words, instead of something like "HD Discovery" it's more like "HD Discov" - the right side is cut off. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the transmission or with my set? Incidentally, I'm using a SONY VW10HT 16:9 set with my Dish 6000 player and have always seen correct aspect ratios before from all sources (unless the source was faulty.)

How's this clear HD Logo look to the rest of you with either my set or your own HDTV set? Yes, the aspect ratio is set correctly on my projector - in fact for HDTV sources it's automatic as long as the information it receives is correct. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the fact that DISH is using their HD Demo Channel for the Discovery Preview and the actual station will be using the 8PSK module for the 6000 to squeeze more channels into each transponder.

Thoughts?

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Same issue here. At first I suspected it was the overscan, but I now believe it's waht you mentioned above, that Discovery is using the Dish Demo channel. I believe it's screwed up in the signal.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, there's too much logo information off the screen to be overscan, especially since I've never noticed overscan on my projector before when sources are accurate.

Let's see what happens when I can finally get my 8PSK unit and view the HD Discovery Theater channel at its "regular" location. (Module not available via DISH for at least another week + shipping time).

But doesn't the HD Discovery signal look great?

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Bob,

I assume you are wondering about "too much logo off the screen" because you are concerned about some of the right side of the image being chopped off earlier in the source chain before your system?

As for me ........ the logo completely off the screen is my preference and 1/2 off is a good start!! I hate those logos - get rid of em'.

BTW, don't the FCC rules only require stations/channels to ID themselves only every so often? What's with a logo being continously displayed anyway? A mystery to me.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, I agree that the permanent logo on the screen is a bit of a PITA. The only possible use if if you are surfing in an unfamiliar surrounding (like a hotel room) and want a quick idea of what channel you are watching.)

At least the HD Discovery Logo (complete or incomplete) is not on the screen all the time.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I think they do it so if a bootleg copy of a program turns up, the logo displays on the copy and everyone knows it's a boot.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I use an ECP 4500 with my dish 6000 on a 92" screen I have about 1.750 inches between the end of the logo and the right hand end of my screen.
Kevin C. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks