What's new

A newbies new system (1 Viewer)

_kevin

Auditioning
Separates vs. A/V Reveiver...

Ok, so I've been lurking for a few days now, finally signed up and herein is my first post.

I'm looking to start building a sytem, and I say building because I'm planning on picking up a pair of speakers and well something to drive them, though I'm not sure which way to go, separates or an a/v receiver. And then overtime (months/years) add into it, center, surrounds and what not. I'm moving in a month to an apartment, and well at the moment I don't have much of anything so I'm sure that's going to burn a hole into my pocket book before I even start on this. It's also not a terribly large apartment, so I'm probably looking at sticking with the pair of speakers and maybe adding in a sub over the course of the next year. Anyways, I'm thinking I don't want to go far over $3000 for everything, in fact, if I kept it under $3000 I'd be quite happy. I'm planning on taking my time with this, because in the end I want what I buy now (or in the next few months) to stick with me for a long while... I guess I'm just looking for some suggestions, and more recently I've been listening more to music than watching movies.

Thanks,
kevin.

_kevin

Auditioning
The $3000 is just for the audio, I've got the video part taken care of for the time being.

-kevin.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I think that it might be sqeezing it a little tight to fit separates in plus 5.1 speakers. If it were my money, I'd check out a good receiver such as the new Rotel or the Denon 3805 and look to buy speakers from one of the excellent online companies such as GR Research, ACI, Rocket, Axiom, Ascend, etc. I'd also do a lot of listening locally and see what they have to offer as well as defining my particular tastes regarding speakers. Then, if I didn't quite find what I wanted price/quality wise, I'd do a search of the online companies to try and determine what speakers might best match my needs/taste. Remember that the best audition is in ones own listening environment and I personally wouldn't hesitate risking the shipping cost for what might be a better bargain with one of the online dealers.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I recommend the following setup:
Speakers:
2 x Studio20 - $600
1 x Studio CC - $200
2 x Titans - $200
1 x Subwoofer (SVS) - $500

Receiver:
Denon 3805 - $1000

Source:
Pioneer 563A Universal Player - $150

Cables:
AR Interconnects, Home Depot/Parts Express 12Ga speaker wire, Optical, S-Video etc : $100

The whole shebang for $2750

This should give you a very satisfactory music as well as HT experience. It will keep you happy for a long long time, IMHO. But that is only if you stopped hanging out here pretty soon.

Best of luck.

Nick L

Second Unit
You sound like you are a good candidate for some nice bookshelf speakers. I'd highly recommend looking at the Paradigm Reference 20's and 40's, PSB Platinum M2, some B&W 705's and anything by JM Lab. Just to name a few. As for electronics I'd look for a nice 2 channel amp or maybe two monoblock amps. The Outlaw Audio monoblocks would be pretty sweet. You'll probably want to put a good amount of money towards a nice 5.1 or 7.1 preamp. I don't have any specific models to tell you, but you'll want something here that you can grow with. This will probably be the most expensive componant you will be buying for the stereo setup you described above, with the capability to go 5.1 or 7.1.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
$3K just for audio, is that the including everything in the end, or just the Receiver/separates, source and 2 speakers for now and you will add to that later?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
He can if he goes used, but I agree, $3k for good separates AND decent speakers is going to be tough. $3K for a good receiver, source and a pair of speakers could be done easily though.

$1k on a receiver and $150 on a source? If it were me, I'd rethink that. Stick with the receiver, but foot the cash for a much nicer source.

_kevin

Auditioning
I'm actually planning on doing some listening this weekend at a couple different places, visited Tweeter a few weekends ago. Also found a local dealer that sells the Studio line and I've read some very good things about those. And the $3k is just for the Receiver/separates and 2 speakers, the rest of the speakers would come later( 5.1/7.1). I've already got the source covered, so that's not even in my equation for the time being. And I'm quite wary of the upgrade bug, hell I'm sure I already have it, I'm here aren't I? :)

Thanks for all the feedback thus far,
-kevin.

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
I would go for a midrange receiver like Yammy 1400 or up to the Dennon 3805, and smack the majority on speakers. Don't lowball the speakers, because if you're kicking it in an apartment, you'll be doing a lot of quieter listening, and you DON'T want to be doing that on sub par speaks.

Most of all, have fun with it!!

_kevin

Auditioning
Oh I'm planning on having fun with it :) How could I not?! And as of this weekend I secured a pair of speakers, not perhaps what I would've bought myself, but then I really didn't spend much of anything, so I couldn't really say no. Regardless, they don't put out much bass at all so I might be snagging a sub far sooner than initially intended, that or upgrading them outright. But that said, seeing as how now my budget is principally now for a receiver or seperates (pre/pro +amp only) what would ya'll recommend??

I was eyeballing the Rotel RSX-1056 or the Arcam ARV200. However, in the future (6mos-1yr) I see myself replacing the speakers and moving what I have into the bedroom. At which point I think I'd be wanting a little more power as I'd be purchasing larger speakers and figure they'd run better with a bit more behind them, so would it not make sense to start with something with more kick (knowing that it's still in budget) RSP-1068 + RMB 1075 or perhaps the Arcam ARV300? or maybe I start with a pre/pro and a 2-channel amp and then later I snag another amp for the new speakers... recommendations? ideas?

Thanks, Kevin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks