What's new

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The biggest issues with USPS deliveries stem from reductions in staffing and allowed overtime that were forced on the agency prior to the election coupled with a huge demand for mail-in ballots just as those restrictions began to be removed which put them significantly behind just in time for BF sales. Add localized spikes in infection rates and the further restrictions that entails and you have a formula guaranteed to cause significant delays.

I have several packages stuck in various USPS distribution centers due to the mess created by the new Postmaster General under orders from higher up.

And if you're unfortunate enough to have an Amazon package where a portion of the trip involves an "Amazon shipping partner" you'll likely see even further delays. I've had that process add a week to a delivery and have had 2 packages completely disappear when in in the hands of that "shipping partner," something that's *never* happened to me before.

I'm waiting for things to settle down with shipping a bit before ordering a copy and am keeping up with this thread with great interest. I'm quite excited about this one and hope things settle down soon as I really want to get a copy ordered!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have a Blu-ray I ordered last weekend that's been stuck in California for the last five days. Hasn't moved an inch.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I have a Blu-ray I ordered last weekend that's been stuck in California for the last five days. Hasn't moved an inch.
Welcome to the club. My copy of Mister Roberts has been in "Pre-shipment" mode since last Thursday. But it's not like I have a dearth of material to look at. As long as it doesn't get lost, I'm happy. I figure I'll get it in January, and I'm expecting it to look just as good.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Not atypical of Warner Color negative conformation. Probably the most problematic example being Giant. Ad CinemaScope to the mix, and it’s a perfect optical storm.

Considering that, Mr. Roberts is perfect.
Yep, surprising it's as great as it is. But "blurry" is a bit much to call any shot in this transfer, time code notwithstanding :) Cagney is so great, Fonda is his usual wonderful self, Lemmon is brilliant, but, for me, it's William Powell who almost walks away with the movie. And the crew on the ship is filled with faces you know instantly, including some Ford stock company members, but other folks like Buck Kartalian, who seems to be in every movie I watch, and Nick Adams, Perry Lopez, Robert Roark, and Tige Andrews. Just a wonderful, funny, touching, and brilliant film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yep, surprising it's as great as it is. But "blurry" is a bit much to call any shot in this transfer, time code notwithstanding :) Cagney is so great, Fonda is his usual wonderful self, Lemmon is brilliant, but, for me, it's William Powell who almost walks away with the movie. And the crew on the ship is filled with faces you know instantly, including some Ford stock company members, but other folks like Buck Kartalian, who seems to be in every movie I watch, and Nick Adams, Perry Lopez, Robert Roark, and Tige Andrews. Just a wonderful, funny, touching, and brilliant film.
A perfect example of “standing th test of time.”

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The biggest issues with USPS deliveries stem from reductions in staffing and allowed overtime that were forced on the agency prior to the election coupled with a huge demand for mail-in ballots just as those restrictions began to be removed which put them significantly behind just in time for BF sales. Add localized spikes in infection rates and the further restrictions that entails and you have a formula guaranteed to cause significant delays.

I have several packages stuck in various USPS distribution centers due to the mess created by the new Postmaster General under orders from higher up.

And if you're unfortunate enough to have an Amazon package where a portion of the trip involves an "Amazon shipping partner" you'll likely see even further delays. I've had that process add a week to a delivery and have had 2 packages completely disappear when in in the hands of that "shipping partner," something that's *never* happened to me before.

I'm waiting for things to settle down with shipping a bit before ordering a copy and am keeping up with this thread with great interest. I'm quite excited about this one and hope things settle down soon as I really want to get a copy ordered!
USPS was delivering packages on Sunday 12/20. I received my Target order - though placed in the bushes and not in the back like the regular drivers know they should.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Growing up seeing this on cropped TV screens, this was an immediate buy. Looks great but I definitely noticed two blurry shots which could just be opticals: with Lemmon meeting the nurses and a shot with Cagney and Fonda. It's so obvious because of the clarity between the shots. But that one shot of Fonda smiling to himself on deck after crew liberty with the sun shafts behind him...Ford or Logan or...?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Growing up seeing this on cropped TV screens, this was an immediate buy. Looks great but I definitely noticed two blurry shots which could just be opticals: with Lemmon meeting the nurses and a shot with Cagney and Fonda. It's so obvious because of the clarity between the shots. But that one shot of Fonda smiling to himself on deck after crew liberty with the sun shafts behind him...Ford or Logan or...?
The blurry shot of Lemmon meeting the nurses is directorial, and purposeful. It was attempt by Ford, far ahead of his French counterparts to interpret Lemmon’s feelings upon seeing the nurses through visuals within his own mind. In many ways it was the beginning of the nouvelle vague, normally credited to the French, as the theory of montage was mistakenly attributed to the Russians, when it was French.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
USPS was delivering packages on Sunday 12/20. I received my Target order - though placed in the bushes and not in the back like the regular drivers know they should.

Yeah, I got a Media Mail package yesterday!

Unless it came super-late Saturday and I didn't see it until Sunday AM, that is. Would've had to arrive after 10 PM Saturday for that to be the case...

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
The blurry shot of Lemmon meeting the nurses is directorial, and purposeful. It was attempt by Ford, far ahead of his French counterparts to interpret Lemmon’s feelings upon seeing the nurses through visuals within his own mind. In many ways it was the beginning of the nouvelle vague, normally credited to the French, as the theory of montage was mistakenly attributed to the Russians, when it was French.
That's a very Cahiers way of saying there are indeed a few blurry shots for whatever raison.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Could that squeezed shot of the ship under the credits also be attributed to Ford, expressing Mister Roberts' feeling of claustrophobia and malaise, 8 years before Sam Fuller did the same thing in "Shock Corridor"?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Questi auteristi! Non si sbagliavano mai di quello che ne credevano. Certo? N'est-ce pas?;)
no spreken ze deutsch :D!

1608595329084.png

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I saw this tonight & really enjoyed it, Warner did a bang-up job with this one. I love that vivid colour, & the occasional soft(ish) shot didn't bother me at all, I doubt if most people will even notice, & what a dynamic sound mix! I almost jumped out of my chair with that explosion.

If that's what Warner can do with WarnerColor, then roll on Helen Of Troy & Land Of The Pharaohs :)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I finally got this thanks to WAC’s latest sale. I had forgotten how cartoonish the film is. My guess is Ford didn’t direct a whole lot of the film, as it just doesn’t seem to be his style.
That said, WAC did a once again bang up job on bringing this to high def.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks