What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Ford’s “Mister Roberts” is one of those legendary films.
Most cinephiles are aware of it, or have seen it, but few in a quality form.
For decades, it was available pan & scan, and since 2006 on DVD in scope, with 2.35, and from a less than stellar dupe.
It’s taken them 65 years, but Warner Archive has finally gotten around to tackling the problem, by bringing in original elements.
Shot in CinemaScope in a 2.55:1 aspect ratio, herein properly reproduced, and WarnerColor, which is generally gorgeous, it seems that the time has come for “Mister Roberts” to re-immerge, and take its rightful place among 1950s classics.
For those who may be unaware, it has a decent cast – Henry Fonda (reprising his Broadway role) James Cagney, William Powell (his final screen appearance) and Jack Lemmon, with support from Betsy Palmer, Ward Bond, and other Ford regulars, Ken Curtis, and Harry Carey, Jr.
Photographed by Winton Hoch (The Quiet Man, The Searchers), and with a score by Franz Waxman...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
as expected, this is going to be a must have, so the question remains, what am I going to do with that snapper case?

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Can't wait! I had an IB 16mm print "letterboxed" to about 1.85, but boy was that color something.
Much of it has quite extraordinary color, especially for WarnerColor. The blue tonalities of the water are amazing, and pop. Possibly because of a bit of Y fade.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
This a terrific movie so it is amusing to have heard many years ago from those who saw it on stage the film is but a pale copy of what you experienced in the Broadway theater.
Nobody does the play anymore.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks, I was waiting for the RH seal of approval, as with some import tax changes starting next January, it's going to be a wee bit more expensive to import Blu-rays to the UK, but it sounds like this is well worth it.

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
This a terrific movie so it is amusing to have heard many years ago from those who saw it on stage the film is but a pale copy of what you experienced in the Broadway theater.
Nobody does the play anymore.

The 1984 NBC "live" broadcast of the play is on DVD. It's done in though by a very weak cast headed by Robert Hays with Kevin Bacon, because he was a hot property at the time as Pulver. Only Charles Durning does justice to the part of the Captain.

I am looking forward to getting rid of my snapper case DVD at long last. This was one of the first DVDs I remember buying! It was also the first time I'd heard "Stars and Stripes Forever" restored to the scene of Roberts throwing the palm tree overboard since I can remember music replacement on that on TV prints when I was growing up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Much of it has quite extraordinary color, especially for WarnerColor. The blue tonalities of the water are amazing, and pop. Possibly because of a bit of Y fade.
Yeah, the stream from this new master made its debut back in October on HBO Max and thought it looked beautiful. At that time, I knew a Blu-ray release was coming soon.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This review from RAH is very exciting news and I am looking forward to the arrival of my copy.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
John Ford's "Mister Roberts" is one of those legendary films.

Most cinephiles are aware of it, or have seen it, but few in a quality form.

For decades, it was available pan & scan, and since 2006 on DVD in scope, with 2.35, and from a less than stellar dupe.

It's taken them 65 years, but Warner Archive has finally gotten around to tackling the problem, by bringing in original elements.

Shot in CinemaScope in a 2.55:1 aspect ratio, herein properly reproduced, and WarnerColor, which is generally gorgeous, it seems that the time has come for "Mister Roberts" to re-immerge, and take its rightful place among 1950s classics.

For those who may be unaware, it has a decent cast - Henry Fonda (reprising his Broadway role) James Cagney, William Powell (his final screen appearance) and Jack Lemmon, with support from Betsy Palmer, Ward Bond, and other Ford regulars, Ken Curtis, and Harry Carey, Jr.

Photographed by Winton Hoch (The Quiet Man, The Searchers), and with a score by Franz Waxman.

Shot on location in the Midway Islands and Hawaii, as well as in Burbank.

The release of "Mr. Roberts" is cause for celebration.

Extras include a commentary from Mr. Lemmon, recorded in 1998.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Don't even ask

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank You Mr. Harris ! :D I'm Celebrating !! :dance::banana::dancing-banana-04:

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Yowza! Do the opening credits still have the vertically distorted shot of the battleships on the water?

• Insightful

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
One of my favorite movies. As many times as i've seen it i still get a lump in my throat at the end. Pure gold. So happy to hear that this new blu ray looks and sounds so good. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Really excited by an improved home video. Watched the stage version dvd with Robert Hays and Durning to see how the film differed. Wish there was a filmed version of Fonda's stage performance. And a music release of the Franz Waxman soundtrack. Except for a couple comic cues, the music is pretty dark.

SultanOfWhat

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Here's a photo I came across last week that shows Fonda in 1948, when he initiated the role on stage. The play ran for 1,157 performances. Not sure how many of those featured Fonda in the leading role, but his familiarity with the role no doubt helped him portray in the character in the film version.

Info about the play is here (Wiki).

This is a great film, with moments of real pathos and delightful humor, and I'm thrilled to see if finally on Blu-ray.

50667342612_597b32de08_c.jpg

Interesting note from the Wiki page about the film:

Fonda was not the original choice to star in the film version; Warner Bros. was considering William Holden or Marlon Brando for the role. The studio thought Fonda had been on stage and off the screen so long (eight years) that he was no longer a box office draw. In addition, when filming began he was 49, much older than the average lieutenant junior grade. Fonda was hired only because director John Ford insisted.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Really excited by an improved home video. Watched the stage version dvd with Robert Hays and Durning to see how the film differed. Wish there was a filmed version of Fonda's stage performance. And a music release of the Franz Waxman soundtrack. Except for a couple comic cues, the music is pretty dark.

It seems that's where the tension on set came from. Fonda was in love with this play, & really just wanted a filmed version of the stage play without any changes, & with Ford going his own way & changing some things, Fonda got more & more unhappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks