What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I was skeptical and immediately looked for the RH seal of approval also - thrilled to see it! As always, thanks Mr. Harris.
The best part is, it was coming up in the rotation as part of the long holiday break, so perfect timing.
When it comes to the Warner Archives Collection, all skepticism can be checked at the door. With WAC it’s never a question concerning if a title will look fantastic but, rather, a need to read the reviews in order to learn of the elements and obstacles they began with; and of how they ultimately arrived at an always glorious result.

“Mister Roberts” is one of WAC’s most important saves; and I’m feeling all the luckier for it.

Last edited:

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
When it comes to the Warner Archives Collection, all skepticism can be checked at the door. With WAC it’s never a question concerning if a title will look fantastic but, rather, a need to read the reviews in order to learn of the elements and obstacles they began with; and of how they ultimately arrived at an always glorious result.

I didn't know this, useful information for the future - thanks.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched 'Mister Roberts' Blu today. Overall, it looks fantastic (especially compared to my ancient DVD). But I did notice several rather blurry shots. The blurriness lasted only a few moments but one or two of them were a bit jarring.

I have no idea why these momentarily blurry scenes weren't fixed, I can only assume they were that way on the actual elements. RAH would certainly know better than me.

It did not ruin my enjoyment of the film.

Mark

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We watched 'Mister Roberts' Blu today. Overall, it looks fantastic (especially compared to my ancient DVD). But I did notice several rather blurry shots. The blurriness lasted only a few moments but one or two of them were a bit jarring.

I have no idea why these momentarily blurry scenes weren't fixed, I can only assume they were that way on the actual elements. RAH would certainly know better than me.

Mark
Time code, please.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Mark
I noticed some of that during my HBO Max viewing weeks ago. I chalked it up to being baked into the source material. I was just amazed how great it looked overall compared to my past viewings of this fine movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I noticed some of that during my HBO Max viewing weeks ago. I chalked it up to being baked into the source material. I was just amazed how great it looked overall compared to my past viewings of this fine movie.
So did I which initially led me to falsely believe this was not a new remaster.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So I received my package from Amazon today which was supposed to have Mr Roberts in it. Unfortunately the envelope was delivered open and empty!:angry:

Replacement coming Sunday.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to go back and watch the film to stop and make note of the time codes. That won't happen today or anytime soon. Perhaps some others that are watching their new Blu-ray for the first time wouldn't mind stopping a noting the time codes when they see the blurry spots?

Mark

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So, blurry shots but no time code. Well, I watched it tonight and the only blurry shots (read soft) were in the opticals, which are interesting in this film because once or twice they're cut in short, but other times they're not but they're always cut OUT short. The color is fantastic and the film is a classic.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I remember one shot of Jack Lemmon and the nurses looking washed out and out of focus on the previous DVD and VHS versions I've owned. I'm still waiting on Amazon to ship my copy so I don't currently know if the blu is the same.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, blurry shots but no time code. Well, I watched it tonight and the only blurry shots (read soft) were in the opticals, which are interesting in this film because once or twice they're cut in short, but other times they're not but they're always cut OUT short. The color is fantastic and the film is a classic.
Bruce,

My initial thoughts are here. I'm sorry I can't supply a time code because it was over two months ago when I viewed that HBO Max stream that is derived from the same master used on this Blu-ray. I don't want to revisit that stream because I plan on watching my Blu-ray when it arrives from BB. Unfortunately, that Blu-ray has been MIA in the USPS's system so I don't have any idea when that disc is going to show up for me to watch it. This pandemic is playing havoc on delivery services.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Bruce,

My initial thoughts are here. I'm sorry I can't supply a time code because it was over two months ago when I viewed that HBO Max stream that is derived from the same master used on this Blu-ray. I don't want to revisit that stream because I plan on watching my Blu-ray when it arrives from BB. Unfortunately, that Blu-ray has been MIA in the USPS's system so I don't have any idea when that disc is going to show up for me to watch it. This pandemic is playing havoc on delivery services.
There is hope! I just received two movies I ordered from BB on Black Friday/CyberMonday on Saturday 12/19 :cool: !

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is hope! I just received two movies I ordered from BB on Black Friday/CyberMonday on Saturday 12/19 :cool: !
Yeah, but you don't have to deal with Detroit's USPS Regional facility where out of state shipments to Michigan go there to just sit there forever.:)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Bruce,

I just had an Amazon package take three weeks to get to me - and I'm Prime. I've never seen a bigger mess, USPS-wise - just horrible. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Blu as compared to the HBO thing. The only negative for me is it's a tiny bit soft throughout but it really does put the DVD to shame and the color is fantastic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just had an Amazon package take three weeks to get to me - and I'm Prime. I've never seen a bigger mess, USPS-wise - just horrible. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Blu as compared to the HBO thing. The only negative for me is it's a tiny bit soft throughout but it really does put the DVD to shame and the color is fantastic.
Your description of it being slighting soft might be a more accurate description to what I experienced a few times during my viewings. Anyhow, I just checked the USPS system again and I have four different packages stuck in Detroit including a new 4K player. Detroit is less than 75 miles away so it's very frustrating when I check the USPS Informed Delivery option multiple times a day.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not atypical of Warner Color negative conformation. Probably the most problematic example being Giant. Ad CinemaScope to the mix, and it’s a perfect optical storm.

Considering that, Mr. Roberts is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks