What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Let’s see if anyone is still tuned in to this thread after (hopefully) receiving product. And please, location tracing of your disc, ie. just got a notification that “its still sitting in Murfreesboro” is for another “find my disc” thread.

Haven’t had time to revisit, but the first rule in how to read a video master is one obvious point.

If anyone tells you something is an OCN scan, and you question the fact, just look at neutral brighter static areas for a few seconds as you view or scan.

If you see detritus that’s anything except white, you’re looking at a dupe of some sort. Usually you’ll see tiny black spots.

The only element of dirt you’ll ever see in an OCN will be white/clear - because it would be something adhering to the neg - generally referred to as “sparkle.”

Anything else will tell you that you’re probably looking at an IP or a dupe.

Death Wish - and I’ve checked the first two reels - has numerous black bits.

And once again, I’m not suggesting that parts of this film in 4k aren’t lovely. Look at the island footage (Hawaii, not Manhattan). It could actually be 3k, and more highly resolved than the included Blu-ray - which is also the only Blu-ray against which the image should be judged. It’s a very nice Blu-ray. The old one shouldn’t be involved in this discussion.

Don’t know why. I’m betting the studio gave that info to Kino, and they’re an innocent here.

I wonder if Paramount even HAS the camera neg. Or is it in Europe?

Last edited:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Let’s see if anyone is still tuned in to this thread after (hopefully) receiving product. And please, location tracing of your disc, ie. just got a notification that “its still sitting in Murfreesboro” is for another “find my disc” thread.

Haven’t had time to revisit, but the first rule in how to read a video master is one obvious point.

If anyone tells you something is an OCN scan, and you question the fact, just look at neutral brighter static areas for a few seconds as you view or scan.

If you see detritus that’s anything except white, you’re looking at a dupe of some sort. Usually you’ll see tiny black spots.

The only element of dirt you’ll ever see in an OCN will be white/clear - because it would be something adhering to the neg - generally referred to as “sparkle.”

Anything else will tell you that you’re probably looking at an IP or a dupe.

Death Wish - and I’ve checked the first two reels - has numerous black bits.

And once again, I’m not suggesting that parts of this film in 4k aren’t lovely. Look at the island footage (Hawaii, not Manhattan). It could actually be 3k, and more highly resolved than the included Blu-ray - which is also the only Blu-ray against which the image should be judged. It’s a very nice Blu-ray. The old one shouldn’t be involved in this discussion.

Don’t know why. I’m betting the studio gave that info to Kino, and they’re an innocent here.

I wonder if Paramount even HAS the camera neg. Or is it in Europe?
What about the color of any scratches? That's one where I get forgetful.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Projected, the new 4K UHD looks identical to the Warner Bros. blu-ray from 2014. There is no additional information in the 4K UHD, compared to the uprezzed old Warner blu-ray. The (lack of) detail looks more or less the same - check the supermarket labels in the beginning. The Paramount grain reduction is apparent in the 4K UHD, but isn't as bad as on 48 Hrs. I will keep the old Warner blu-ray for viewing, but the extras on the Kino will keep me from tossing this on the trash.

Death Wish has never looked nice. It has exactly the same grungy, grainy grindhouse appearance as The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, also from 1974 and also a Kino 4K UHD title. However, the master for Pelham doesn't have DNR.

I have 23 Kino 4K UHD titles and this is the first one that has been shoddy - though not their fault, if they weren't able to see the master, before shelling out the dough for the licence.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Someone just sent me a link to this discussion on the other forum, where someone seems to have my same precise thoughts.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So there's no definitive way to determine what kind of elements were used from the nature of the scratches?
It can be determined, but not simply by the scratches. One must also look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks