What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sidney Lumet's Serpico (1973) is one of the best police dramas of not only that era, but any era. Photographed on location by Arthur Ornitz (Death Wish), and with a score by Mikis Theodorakis (I've always loved his score for The Day the Fish Came Out), Serpico may be the quintessential good cop vs the system film - and Al Pacino shines.

Viewing the opening of this Paramount created, Kino released 4k UHD product, my initial thought was that here's another 4k release that has no need to be 4k.

But then we move to daylight and slower film stock, and the grain normalizes and there actually is a benefit. Not huge, but it's there, and DV helps.

Screenplay from Waldo Salt (Midnight Cowboy) and Norman Wexler couldn't be better.

This one is simple. Just grab a copy.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS HD-MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Thank you for your review as I haven't watched my 4K disc yet, but will try to do so in the near future.
I haven't ordered this yet, but I do need to add it to my growing pile of Kino Lorber 4K discs that I never seem to get around to watching. It's up to well over a dozen now.

I need a vacation.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Thank you for your review as I haven't watched my 4K disc yet, but will try to do so in the near future.
Sidney Lumet's films at their best don't even feel like they are being directed. They just seem to unfold before your eyes. It's not naturalism per se but such great natural energy and rhythm to his pacing and performances. And a gifted eye for locations and light.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sidney Lumet's films at their best don't even feel like they are being directed. They just seem to unfold before your eyes. It's not naturalism per se but such great natural energy and rhythm to his pacing and performances. And a gifted eye for locations and light.
The Verdict

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have posted this in other threads- a shame that Sidney never did win an Oscar for one of his films, and he directed some great ones (Network- 👍👍).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks