What's new

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I like the idea of an alternate format designation. Eagle Vision has released several concerts originated on videotape as SD Blu-ray, taking advantage of the better audio formats available. My suggestion would get more to the heart of the matter: 2K HDR. It addresses what has ostensibly been "improved" for the release, as there isn't 4K of information.
You mean like these blu-rays ...
1673378250383.png

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I’ve been giving the Death Wish situation some thought, and the answer is simple.

A New Format.

A 4k UHD release derived from a 2k master, not to in any way take advantage of actual 4k resolution, but rather simply for the HDR/DV “pop” that will be seen on OLED panels.

The question, since they do not actually carry true 4k resolution, is…

What to call them?

I’d go with “2k UHD”

How to market them?

Just try and explain this to the consumer.

How to price them?

A few dollars above Blu-ray.

The variant already exists, but has not been recognized as such.

I personally have no interest in these, as I’d be equally as happy with a Blu-ray derived from the same newer master, but those who purchase 4k should be on notice before they place an order, that they are not receiving true 4k, and merely the HDR pop.
Paramount has a great library this title looked horrible even in theaters when it opened that said they are all over the map with their releases - eventually they will turn consumers off maybe they should have let KINO do the remaster?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Someone suggested that I take a gander at the Death Wish discussion over at that other site, and I have.

Seems I’m not liked over there.

But that’s not a problem. It seems to be someone is suggesting that I’m saying that Kino is lying about Death Wish being an OCN scan.

Untrue. In fact, I’m happy to go on record that Kino is, and has been totally transparent about their releases. Never had a problem with honesty.

Kino gets their info from Paramount.

What I WAS saying, is that it’s my feeling that either Paramount may either not be totally transparent, or confused, or be suffering from wrong element in the right can syndrome, and no one noticed.

Also, keep in mind that film elements initial selection and pull works via bar codes, not physical elements. While it would be nice to believe that a human would double-check the code vs element in the can, anything can occur.

Paramount should not be having “wrong can” problems, however, as they have (or had) a good system in place with bar codes. One on the lid of the can that contains the info on the side of the can, on on the bottom of the can, and the same bar code attached to film leader.

Once the (presumably) five cans make their way to scanning, some techs might question what was being placed on the scanner - obviously positive and negative appear different - while others would depend upon the system in place and the professionalism of those providing the bar-coded cans. Therefore any pre-print element with a normal Kodak orange mask (OCN, IP, Dupe) and B & H negative perfs could go unquestioned.

But then the scan makes its way to color. An OCN would have to be color graded. An IP or Dupe would only need to be touched up, unless the elements were produced as ungraded one-lites. But that’s what the colorist has been given. And they go on to the next project in line.

I’m not giving this release more time for inspection, but to my eye at least the first couple of reels are not as advertised. All grain and digital problems aside.

So, in brief, zero problems with Kino.

Paramount may have made some error during mastering. Or someone gave marketing incorrect information, as to what was scanned.

End of story.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve decided that it might aid HTF members to have a mini-Master’s Class on how to read a 4k UHD or Blu-ray, so that there’s an understanding of the reality of what we’re actually seeing - all marketing aside.

We’ll deal with his once product is in hand with some basic comments and instructions, and then fall back to q & a and further comments.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
More wasteful cogitating about Death Wish.

Had someone at Paramount been more observant/honest about the elements, not pushed the post work into the 4k realm, and used the new master for a new Blu-ray, without the digital worked performed to the 4k master, I’d have given this release a very high rating.

In the end it would have made a quality Blu-ray, especially as there’s no need for 4k on this title.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
More wasteful cogitating about Death Wish.

Had someone at Paramount been more observant/honest about the elements, not pushed the post work into the 4k realm, and used the new master for a new Blu-ray, without the digital worked performed to the 4k master, I’d have given this release a very high rating.

In the end it would have made a quality Blu-ray, especially as there’s no need for 4k on this title.
Well, that's what I'm planning on getting, the Blu-ray, that is, as the release prints on Death Wish were pretty awful to begin with.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I skimmed through the disc last night. Everything after the opening credits looked good to my eyes. It's true that this film never looked polished in any video or broadcast incarnation so I don't know what people were expecting. The film here looks better than it has ever looked IMO and I couldn't be happier. I've read here or elsewhere that the PQ can be a little inconsistent at times and I'll have to watch the film in its entirety to form a final opinion but, generally, this is satisfying. Now, Kino, please acquire Death Wish V.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
As long as it looks more analog (more filmlike) all the better.

I only recall watching Death Wish II. It was on cable all of the time (HBO and/or Showtime) or at least it seemed that way as a kid.

I'm on kind of 50/50 on getting this as a blind buy. Hmmm.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

I only recall watching Death Wish II. It was on cable all of the time (HBO and/or Showtime) or at least it seemed that way as a kid.

The follow ups were dreadful. The original Death Wish is a really good film, and has almost nothing to do with the sequels. If you like Bronson, it's a must-see. It's an iconic role for him. It's also Michael Winner's finest moment as a director. The film is concise and gritty, yet has a kind of beauty lingering on the edges. Bronson is a revelation, not a brute as much as an angel of mercy, a lost soul. As in a lot of Winner's work from this period, much of what happens is staged ironically, at a slight remove, yet, because of Bronson's performance, and the crisp, workmanlike set-ups Winner arranges for him, the whole film is manages to be very moving. It gets under the skin.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

If you're sitting a reasonable distance from the screen so that odd grain isn't obvious, it's fine. Just don't expect anything in actual 4k resolution.

As noted earlier, this would have been a fine Blu-ray.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Once we have a quorum of those with discs in hand, we can have a forensic discussion with time codes. Please make note of disc receipt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks