What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Sky Captain... in High Defintion (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've gone directly from viewing Paramount's Sahara to their HD release of Sky Captain...

I loved this film when initially released in Standard Def, and at that time wondered what HD could or would add to the mix.

Now I have my answer.

As a totally digital production, Sky Captain has a slightly soft velvety look to the entire production.

But the differences between the SD and HD are enormous.

Blacks now stand out in high relief from the rest of the image, while the softened flesh tones and backgrounds move from slightly enhanced on SD to highly detailed in HD, with more shadow detail then one might imagine.

All in all, the image takes on a cohesive quality, that once again...

looks like a cinematic projected digitally rendered image.

While I have yet to get a chance to view Tomb Raider, I suspect that Paramount's technical acumen and professionalism will also shine in that HD disc.

I try very hard not to play favorites, and applaud each and every disc that arrives from the now three HD releasing studios. While Paramont has taken an extra few months to hit the streets with product, they have proven to be of the same excellant quality that we've been seeing from the top releases from Warner and Universal.

Paramount is playing for keeps in the HD market, and once again, they should be applauded for delivering absolutely stunning HD product.

The film, as well as the HD DVD come Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Great review, RAH.
How exciting is HD?!?!?! :-0 ;-)

This is the title that stopped me from buying SD DVD's, in hopes of one day owning the HD disc version & therefore preventing double dipping.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
on second thought- after initially thinking the transfer was more diffused and murkier than the theatrical viewing I remembered, and disappointing overall- I watched the rest of the film last night with fresh eyes and it left a much better impression. The trailers looked a little 'punchier', but that may be because they only cut together the punchier, lessdiffused looking clips.

all in all, after watching the movie again, and then going thru some of the supplements, I have a much stronger appreciation for both the movie and the disc.

shame it never found an audience, 'cause it held up on a second viewing as the fun, retro popcorn adventure its supposed to be- with some of the most beautiful images I've ever seen on screen.

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David
Mr. Harris, you could 'sell ice to eskimos'.............or in this case HDs to film enthusiasts......

I couldn"t agree more with you David !!!

Imagine this HD DVD with a DOLBY TRUE-HD or an DTS-HD soundtrack !

issssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

I Don"t know if a PCM 5.1 OR 7.1 will be better for this soundtrack

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
My anticipation for Sky Captain was enormous prior to its theatrical release. Though visually stunning, I left the theater feeling that the film's storyline didn't fully live up to my expectations. Well, over time and a few repeated viewings, my appreciation for this film has grown. It was with great anticipation that I popped this disc into my HD-A1. I agree with Mr. Harris, Sky Captain in HD DVD is a visual treat. I would even go further and state that it may top the theatrical experience. The three dimensional quality of some of these early HD DVD releases are dampening my desire to watch SD DVDs. A reviewer (I apologize for not remembering the author or website) stated that tears were brought to her eyes while viewing this exquisite transfer. I couldn't agree more.

Pete T C

Second Unit
This disc is amazing. If you own an HD DVD player you owe it to yourself to pick this disc up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what is going on with amazon's prices.
sky captain and sahara are 29.99 today.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well mine finally arrived

this is my favorite hd dvd sofar and i've only watched 15 minutes.

i've seen 2 things so far that i never noticed on sd.
one is victor fleming graffiti and the other is king kong on the empire state bldg.

i knew about kong before but i didnt untill i read about it.
this time watchng hd dvd i had forgotten about kong, but there he was right in the middle of the image.

sound is great too.

just amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks