What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Witness -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Peter Weir's Witness is a film that just works on all levels, and now almost forty years old, holds up beautifully. Wonderful score by Maurice Jarre, and cinematography by John Seale.

By 1985, Harrison Ford had been at the cinema game for twenty years, and tailored his performance to perfection, taking a totally different tack than his previous characters.

Arrow's new 4k of the Paramount production is quite film-like, with a light cover of grain, perfect colors and densities, and an overall beautiful image, and great crisp and clean audio.

Great film, with nary a problem in sight.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - sampled pre-production product

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I wonder what is faded and what are the choices made in the transfer, "Days of Heaven" for example looked better on DVD and Blu Ray(and 4k) for sure ,but there are shots on the original Laser disc I remember having more color, When the First dvd came out (and all releases up to the 4k version) ,those shots while sharper and cleaner are missing a color here or there.
I noticed this with the also 4k Witness The earlier Blu Ray, while fuzzy and clearly not as good, had some color missing in shots
The first shot when we see the wagon pull up to a light near a Dairy Queen sign,the road sign is clearly missing color compared to the Blu Ray, could it just be by the time they get to 4k the elements have faded ,and no one remembers,
or its too expensive to fix things like faded color, these are wonderful releases anyway.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wonder what is faded and what are the choices made in the transfer, "Days of Heaven" for example looked better on DVD and Blu Ray(and 4k) for sure ,but there are shots on the original Laser disc I remember having more color, When the First dvd came out (and all releases up to the 4k version) ,those shots while sharper and cleaner are missing a color here or there.
I noticed this with the also 4k Witness The earlier Blu Ray, while fuzzy and clearly not as good, had some color missing in shots
The first shot when we see the wagon pull up to a light near a Dairy Queen sign,the road sign is clearly missing color compared to the Blu Ray, could it just be by the time they get to 4k the elements have faded ,and no one remembers,
or its too expensive to fix things like faded color, these are wonderful releases anyway.
There is zero fade in Witness. One should never a video for reference.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The scene where Ford and Kelly McGillis dance to Greg Chapman's cover of "Wonderful World" as it plays on the car radio still sticks with me, all of these years later.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks