What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In 1982 and 1984, Arnold Schwarzenegger played the titular role in the first two Conan films, fantasy adventures based upon short stories and novels written by Robert E. Howard in the 1930s. Mr. Howard also created Red Sonja.

The films were De Laurentiis productions distributed by Universal, and for their budgets had an impressive size and scope. That noted they not for everyone, and I count myself among that group.

That aside, their productions values, casting and production design helped attain a very impressive world-wide gross.

The first film was directed by John Milius , from a screenplay by he and Oliver Stone. It was photographed by Duke Callaghan, whose work you'll know from Jeremiah Johnson.

The second was directed by Richard Fleischer, and photographed by Jack Cardiff.

Casting is an interesting issue for films of this type. Supporting Mr. Schwarzenegger in Barbarian are James Earl Jones, and Max von Sydow with an appearance by William Smith, while Destroyer has Grace Jones, Wilt Chamberlain, Sarah Douglas and Olivia d'abo.

Further of interest is that films with a largish budget from that era would be released monaural. Arrow's new 4k UHD release sticks with mono for Barbarian, while goes with a re-mix to 7.1 for Destroyer.

Those deeply into the productions will be aware of different mixes, but I've neither researched, nor am I aware of the subject, and will remain mute.

As far as image quality, the two films are reference quality, and appear akin to newly minted 35mm prints.

Image – 10 (HDR10)

Audio
Conan the Barbarian - 10 (DTS-HD MA Monaural (Center channel only)
Conan the Destroyer – 10 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - n/a

Recommended

RAH

Final point: Might I ask Arrow to please lower the gain on their logo? It is SO LOUD, IT CAN DAMAGED ONE’S HEARING!

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Conan The Barbarian and Conan The Destroyer

Conan The Barbarian

Conan The Destroyer

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Defaulting to original mono isn't uncommon for Arrow releases. You usually have to select the newer mixes.
Understood, but only one defaults to mono.

Confirming, both films have new Atmos mixes, with Atmos on all three cuts of Barbarian.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I mean both Conan films were shot with garbage lenses (if you're familiar with the looks of Arrow's 4Ks of Flash Gordon and Dune, you know already since they were also made with Dino's el cheapo Todd-AO 35 cameras) but this UHD still blows away the Universal blu-rays and it has THE PROPER ENDING for Barbarian.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Or enjoy thread crapping with negativity.

But if they are good enough to own...why not watch them in the best possible way? You only live once.

The way I look at it anyway.
I only buy in UHD if it’s a movie is one of my favorites. Those are just fill ins in my collection.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I only buy in UHD if it’s a movie is one of my favorites. Those are just fill ins in my collection.
Then why post in a thread about the 4K releases of these two films just to let everyone know that you're not buying them??? It adds nothing of worth to the conversation.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Looking very forward to these especially Barbarian. Even when it came to BD, I always felt it was not mastered well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks