What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Matt Stieg said:
Mr. Harris, if I may ask what exactly DID you and the techs do? I mean, there definitely IS an audio sync on this blu-ray, but it's certainly not unique and I've seen many other blu-rays and DVDs with similar problems. Like I said in my earlier post, my Pioneer receiver has an audio delay that goes up to 9 frames, so if I notice the audio slightly ahead of the video I simply add a little delay (usually 1.5--3 frames will suffice, which is around 50--100 ms). Does your receiver not have an audio delay function?
With your system. But i tell yea, i watched the movie twice so far, and never saw a hint of a sync issue. I went back and watched the gas station get torn up, just to check...a hit on the head, or door slam are in perfect time on my system.
Sony BDP 1000ES Blu-ray player
Sony Bravia XBR LCD
Denon AVR 3310 receiver.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Andersson /forum/thread/312786/a-few-words-about-it-s-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world-in-blu-ray/60#post_3830394

Thanks for the FotoKem 65 mm/8K info. Maybe we´ll see new transfers of Khartoum, Star! and Can-Can. Hopefully The Last Valley will be an object for future restoration (if necessary). Not a 65mm production I believe, but a quite good film in the vein of the 65mm epics.

"The Last Valley" was a 65MM production - it was the last 65mm production of the early 70's

Love to see "Can-Can" and "Star!" (which looked great on the big screen in 70MM a few years ago)

Real Name
Anthony
I notice that germany is getting a september release of DR DOLITTLE...
http://www.kochmedia.de/haendler/shop/public/DBM000151D.jsf

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
On first glance this looks amazing and $10 seems like a more than reasonable price for something I'll need to purchase again when they eventually
get it right.
A couple of minor rants here:
As previously mentioned, the Entr'acte's missing. Why?? - it was on the DVD! (Of course the DVD was missing the Overture for some reason - so
we're batting .500 here.) I'm not buying the idea that this is a 35mm version and the Entr'acte shouldn't
be included. Thankfully the Intermission playout song is still included - though there's absolutely no break between the Intermission slide and the beginning
of Act II - none! There should at least be a couple of seconds of fade to black so one can pause the Blu-Ray player for the appropriate Intermission break.
(There's also no break between the Overture and the opening credits - there probably would have been a couple of seconds here in the theater as the
curtains started to open. Thankfully it appears they got colors right on the opening credits; these were messed up
on the DVD.)
Now I need to figure out how to put together something which reflects the full 162 minute version...
It'll be a real pain to switch to a DVD player to play the Entr'acte music.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Never Liked "Doctor Dolittle" much until I saw it in 70MM - Wow! is all I can say - the image just took over, it was so beautiful, it helps get through the slow parts of the film (the sound was great also) I hope this comes to blu-ray soon - one of many 70MM yet to come to HD

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Dennis Gallagher said:
On first glance this looks amazing and $10 seems like a more than reasonable price for something I'll need to purchase again when they eventually
get it right.
A couple of minor rants here:
As previously mentioned, the Entr'acte's missing. Why?? - it was on the DVD! (Of course the DVD was missing the Overture for some reason - so
we're batting .500 here.) I'm not buying the idea that this is a 35mm version and the Entr'acte shouldn't
be included. Thankfully the Intermission playout song is still included - though there's absolutely no break between the Intermission slide and the beginning
of Act II - none! There should at least be a couple of seconds of fade to black so one can pause the Blu-Ray player for the appropriate Intermission break.
(There's also no break between the Overture and the opening credits - there probably would have been a couple of seconds here in the theater as the
curtains started to open. Thankfully it appears they got colors right on the opening credits; these were messed up
on the DVD.)
Now I need to figure out how to put together something which reflects the full 162 minute version...
It'll be a real pain to switch to a DVD player to play the Entr'acte music.
I am still waiting for this to get to my place. That USP Innovations seem slow to me!
Anyway, it seems the BluRay is pretty much what the MGMHD broadcast was. It was missing the Entr'Acte and the the Overture was much too close to the opening credits and was rather jarring without the proper 2 or 3 second break. I was hoping this was the cable station tickering with the film to eliminate any perceived dead spots, but I guess that is how the master HD version is. MGM really needs some expert to view these things and before they get released to easily rectify these problems.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by John Morgan
I am still waiting for this to get to my place. That USP Innovations seem slow to me!

Mine arrived today, so with any luck you'll have yours by Monday. It took a day or two less for The Big Country to arrive, but USP Innovations certainly is variable. Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching this.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mine was delivered today, too, and I just sampled it.

WOW, what a picture. I especially appreciate it after nearly giving myself a headache watching the laserdisc straight through a few nights ago...something that's getting harder and harder to tolerate, sad to say for the LD collection.

And a resounding YIKES for the incredible insensitivity to the pacing between Overture and Main Title and between Intermission and the start of Act II. Hell, not only is a decent interval not allowed between the first two, but the reverberation of the last chord of the Overture is CUT OFF. Unbelievable.

However, a resounding YAY for that beautiful black screen during Overture and Exit Music. What a refreshing return to, um, adult movie appreciation?

I never had a DVD, only the LD, so even though I'd read about it I'm shocked at the utter randomness of the "extended scenes" extra. WTF?

All in all, though, I'm a very happy boy. The cuts notwithstanding, I haven't seen the film look anywhere near this good since my tender early teen years at the roadshow in Miami Beach.

RKR1970

Agent
Real Name
Richard Karl Ryan
Sorry, but don’t hold your breath for a 50th anniversary version from MGM with the film being restored back (or close to) it’s road show glory. With BD/DVD sales being soft, the studios are cutting budgets left and right for mastering and restorations (since they can’t justify spending 800k to 1.5million on a B+ title these days) along with a boatload of extras on a second disc (outside of the big A+ catalog titles), so this BD is the best we will see for sometime. Sure I would love to see a 50th anniversary disc, and yes Mad World is an A+ title….but it’s owned by MGM/UA, not Warner, Sony or Disney. Enjoy what we now have...we're lucky they struck a new 65mm IP for this transfer.

plinfesty

Agent
Real Name
Paul Linfesty
The Stooges and Keaton were purr-dy elderly at this point. I doubt that the lot could of done much more for the film at this point...?
Well, Buster Keaton was quite physically active in several AIP beach party movies made after this (Pajama Party, Beach Blanket Bingo, How To Stuff a Wild Bikini). Just watched all three this weekend.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
plinfesty said:
Well, Buster Keaton was quite physically active in several AIP beach party movies made after this (Pajama Party, Beach Blanket Bingo, How To Stuff a Wild Bikini). Just watched all three this weekend.
Don't forget about A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM. Keaton certainly carried himself, even showing his age,

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg
Mr. Harris, if I may ask what exactly DID you and the techs do? I mean, there definitely IS an audio sync on this blu-ray, but it's certainly not unique and I've seen many other blu-rays and DVDs with similar problems. Like I said in my earlier post, my Pioneer receiver has an audio delay that goes up to 9 frames, so if I notice the audio slightly ahead of the video I simply add a little delay (usually 1.5--3 frames will suffice, which is around 50--100 ms). Does your receiver not have an audio delay function?
A lesson learned. Just when you think everything is under control. We had an electrical storm, and although no one seems to understand how things became affected, the settings of either the Oppo and the JVC projector, or both, seem to have reset to factory. I'm not a tech, but this somehow knocked out sync, as settings for 1080p/60, 1080/24 and other anomalies came into play.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Rachael B
The Stooges and Keaton were purr-dy elderly at this point. I doubt that the lot could of done much more for the film at this point...?
When your doorbell rings, be prepared for reps of the AARP. The Stooges weren't old. Moe was 66, Larry 61 and Curly II was only 54.

To put this in perspective, Mr. Eastwood is 81.

RAH

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The segments are on YouTube, but you should check out Moe Howard's appearances on The Mike Douglas Show, which were almost a decade after this film was shot. Not only is he hilarious, but just as full of energy as his 1930s self.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Quote:
Rachael B said:
/forum/thread/312786/a-few-words-about-it-s-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world-in-blu-ray/90#post_3830882
When your doorbell rings, be prepared for reps of the AARP. The Stooges weren't old. Moe was 66, Larry 61 and Curly II was only 54.

To put this in perspective, Mr. Eastwood is 81.

RAH
The Stooges were not old, this is the period that they were doing features, from 61-63 they put out 4 films, so maybe during the filming of this, the amount of time for this film was alloted to the screen time they had.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
For 10 bucks at Walmart you get the most beautiful transfer to hit Blu-ray since HOW THE WEST WAS WON. I can't imagine it looking any better. It's razor-sharp and clean and beautiful. You get an hour's worth of all the deleted scenes and the outstanding documentary. What else could you want? They give a disclaimer at the beginning of the deleted scenes saying that the source for the blu-ray was a 35mm print and that all the original negatives for the 70mm print are gone. The only surviving elements of the deleted sequences are these damaged and faded clips they include. I guess they could splice them into the 35mm print to give an approximation of a longer edit, but the difference would be very jarring because the 35mm print is flawless.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
warnerbro said:
For 10 bucks at Walmart you get the most beautiful transfer to hit Blu-ray since HOW THE WEST WAS WON. I can't imagine it looking any better. It's razor-sharp and clean and beautiful. You get an hour's worth of all the deleted scenes and the outstanding documentary. What else could you want? They give a disclaimer at the beginning of the deleted scenes saying that the source for the blu-ray was a 35mm print and that all the original negatives for the 70mm print are gone. The only surviving elements of the deleted sequences are these damaged and faded clips they include. I guess they could splice them into the 35mm print to give an approximation of a longer edit, but the difference would be very jarring because the 35mm print is flawless.
I've a feeling that the disclaimer may have been left over from a old release. This Blu is absolutely NOT from a 35mm print.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I just picked this up at my local walmart for $10. It looks very nice and I had no sync issues that I noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks