What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ It Happened at the World's Fair – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just to be clear, "It Happened at the World's Fair" is not about the Louisiana Purchase Exposition of 1904, which was more than adequately covered in an earlier M-G-M musical.

This one features a singer, turned actor, named Elvis, and it opens with a sequence involving a crop duster, not to be confused with another crop duster that appeared in another M-G-M production four years previous.

Something that I always found odd about this sequence is that the shots of the pilot and his co-hort in the cockpit show no real signs of wind, and they only don their goggles when they're about to spray the potato fields.

As directed by Norman Taurog, who was behind ten of Elvis Presley's 31 feature films, it survives beautifully in all it's Metro Color glory courtesy of Warner Archive.

It's a gorgeous Blu-ray that will find a welcome audience with fans of the genre.

Mr. Taurog began his career as a bit player in 1912, and made his directorial debut in 1920 for First National, in a Larry Semon short - School Days.

In 1929 he moved away from shorts to feature-length for Tiffany Productions, then back to shorts at Paramount before returning to features there.

In that decade he's probably best known for Skippy and Huckleberry Finn (both 1931), The Phantom President and sequences of If I had a Million (1932), followed by two Maurice Chevalier films, and productions featuring W. C. Fields, Bing Crosby, Eddie Cantor (for Goldwyn), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Selznick), Mad About Music (Deanna Durbin - Universal), and then to M-G-M, with Boys Town (1940).

In 1945 he directed the prologue for Ziegfeld Follies, as well as retakes. An interesting confluence of release events, as that film will be covered in a separate Few Words.

In the 1950s, he became a go-to director for Martin and Lewis, and later for Mr. Lewis.

In 1960, he linked with Mr. Presley (his fifth film) for their first production together, G.I. Blues, and things went on from there.

World's Fair is notable for its location photography, gorgeous color, as well as an appearance by a young Kurt Russell, who would go on to portray Elvis in John Carpenter's 1979 TV production.

When it came to numbers, Elvis apparently received a nice percentage of the gross, which he shared (per a handshake agreement) 50/50 with the colonel.

If lower budgets meant larger profits, it has been acknowledged that the colonel was all for it.

For me, Elvis' best non-concert work was Viva Las Vegas, Jailhouse Rock and King Creole (released recently via Paramount Presents.)

It is also noted that after Ann-Margret appeared with Elvis in Viva Las Vegas, and more than held her own in the acting department, that in the future there was a desire that Elvis should be the one to shine.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It is also noted that after Ann-Margret appeared with Elvis in Viva Las Vegas, and more than held her own in the acting department, that in the future there was a desire that Elvis should be the one to shine.

Ann-Margret was in Viva Las Vegas?

Attachments

• viva.jpg
    viva.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
It Happened at The World's Fair was Elvis's 12th film and the first under a new contract signed with MGM in January 1961. A “4 picture deal”, Elvis would receive $400,000 per picture plus $75,000 for expenses and $25,000 for musical expenses. The Colonel included a provision that once MGM recouped $500,000 then Elvis would receive 50% of the profits. The films made under this contract were; “It Happened At the World’s Fair (1963), Viva Las Vegas (1963), Kissin’ Cousins (1964), and Girl Happy (1965)”

It Happened At The World's Fair (1963) had a large budget, for a film starring Elvis Presley, $2,500,000(a). MGM had to be disappointed with the box office results, rentals initially were $2,250,000 and Variety estimated $2,500,000 by the end of 1963. Domestically it broke even when P&A isn't included. Foreign Box Office rentals aren't published but would certainly put the film into the black. I doubt profits exceeded $500,000 so it's doubtful Elvis received any money from profit participation.

Elvis's films from 1956-1962 all generated a profit domestically except Wild In The Country (1961) and It Happened At The World's Fair (1963). Wild in The Country (1961) lost $500,000 in North America but went into the black with its foreign rentals. This was due to it being the most expensive film Elvis made to this point, budgeted at $2,975,000(b).

The larger budgets of these two films and Elvis's next two; Fun In Acapulco (1963) and Viva Las Vegas (1964) forced Colonel Parker to seek out Producers willing to make cheaper films and maximize profit. This decision created Kissin' Cousins (1964), Harum Scarum and a host of others.

Its' interesting to note that Tickle Me (1965) had the highest profit margin in Elvis's film career. Production Cost was budgeted at $399,750 and went $6,650 over budget finishing at $406,400 plus Elvis' salary for a total budget of $1,156,400(c). This was less than Variety reported on July 27, 1965, $1,476,000. Domestic box office rentals of $3,400,000(d) and foreign rentals of $1,600,000 made a worldwide total of $5,000,000(e) and brought profits of around $3,800,000!

Tickle Me's profit alone was more than the average rentals Elvis's films were making at the box office up to that time (avg $3,300,000). But, quality suffered with the smaller budgets. Sets were cheap, many of the casts and crews worked on TV more than features - Elvis was contractually stuck on this assembly line and between 1965 and 1968 he churned out 10 features before a change was made.

Elvis's musicals since his return from the Army in 1960 (GI Blues, Blue Hawaii, Girls Girls Girls) returned healthy rentals (avg $4,100,000) it was the dramas and comedies with fewer songs that struggled (Flaming Star, Wild in The Country, Follow That Dream, Kid Galahad) only averaging $2,400,000. It Happened At The World's Fair's disappointing box office must have been a surprise.

Why did it not resonate with Elvis's audience or the wider movie-going public? It was a radical change from his previous image and I think it domesticated Elvis way too far. The soundtrack, as a whole, is weaker than his previous musicals and it is more of a musical drama, than a romantic musical comedy. Not what the public was expecting from the trailers an advertising.

I've always enjoyed the film, it is a little too long and could have done without the musical toys scene but Elvis aquits himself well as does the supporting cast. it is a well-filmed, good looking musical that looks great on Blu-ray.

(a) http://www.historylink.org/File/9363
Century 21: Seattle's September Days with Elvis Presley, 1962 by Peter Blecha posted May 8, 2010

(b) Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History by Aubrey Soloman - P.253 Appendix B Production Costs

(c)Pg. 285 Michael A. Hoey, Elvis' Favorite Director: The Amazing 52-Film Career of Norman Taurog, Bear Manor Media.

(d) "Big Rental Pictures of 1965", Variety, 5 January 1966 p 6

(e)Variety July 27, 1965

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have memories of seeing this on TV in a magenta-ish faded 16mm Metrocolor print with the opening and closing titles anamorphically squeezed. I don't remember much more than that.

Lucio

Auditioning
Real Name
Lucio
I have memories of seeing this on TV in a magenta-ish faded 16mm Metrocolor print with the opening and closing titles anamorphically squeezed. I don't remember much more than that.
Oh yes, you've reminded me of the first time I watched this film on tv. It was the same squeezed in look for Tickle Me on television as Elvis sang 'Long Lonely Highway'.

Why did it not resonate with Elvis's audience or the wider movie-going public? It was a radical change from his previous image and I think it domesticated Elvis way too far. The soundtrack, as a whole, is weaker than his previous musicals and it is more of a musical drama, than a romantic musical comedy. Not what the public was expecting from the trailers an advertising.
Excellent point. Makes sense. By the time I saw the film for the first time in the 1970s, I had already accepted Elvis' domesticated 'All American Boy' presence but it must have been a departure for fans in 1962. It still looks weird to see Elvis singing 'One Broken Heart' to older men at the trailer park rather than an attractive young lady or on stage.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
All these Elvis films being released so I'm not understanding why two of his biggest hits Blue Hawaii and Fun in Acapulco are not on the horizon. Maybe source material in bad condition.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
That should be fun to see. Why didn't Elvis go to the NY World's Fair?(the first film's disappointing returns?) In wide screen and technicolor that would have been amazing. I went a number of times and it was all they say it was. Nothing like it ever again.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
All these Elvis films being released so I'm not understanding why two of his biggest hits Blue Hawaii and Fun in Acapulco are not on the horizon. Maybe source material in bad condition.
Paramount is not exactly a purveyor of catalog titles. With the exception of King Creole, no Elvis titles have been released on Blu-ray. I expect the elements on those titles are just fine. Both are streamed in HD. I would like to see Warner put out more of the MGM Elvis titles as well.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Still living near Seattle, I may have to order this. I remember my dad taking the family to the Fair when I was 5. For some reason one of my most vivid memories was calling and talking to my mom who had stayed home on a futuristic touch tone phone.

With 9 degrees of separation, I watched “The Battered Bastards of Baseball” on Netflix last night. Kurt Russell narrated a good part of another film featuring the PNW. “The colorful true story of the Portland Mavericks, a scrappy, independent baseball team of underdogs started by actor Bing Russell in the 1970s.”

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
It Happened at The World's Fair was Elvis's 12th film and the first under a new contract signed with MGM in January 1961. A “4 picture deal”, Elvis would receive $400,000 per picture plus $75,000 for expenses and $25,000 for musical expenses. The Colonel included a provision that once MGM recouped $500,000 then Elvis would receive 50% of the profits. The films made under this contract were; “It Happened At the World’s Fair (1963), Viva Las Vegas (1963), Kissin’ Cousins (1964), and Girl Happy (1965)”

It Happened At The World's Fair (1963) had a large budget, for a film starring Elvis Presley, $2,500,000(a). MGM had to be disappointed with the box office results, rentals initially were $2,250,000 and Variety estimated $2,500,000 by the end of 1963. Domestically it broke even when P&A isn't included. Foreign Box Office rentals aren't published but would certainly put the film into the black. I doubt profits exceeded $500,000 so it's doubtful Elvis received any money from profit participation.

Elvis's films from 1956-1962 all generated a profit domestically except Wild In The Country (1961) and It Happened At The World's Fair (1963). Wild in The Country (1961) lost $500,000 in North America but went into the black with its foreign rentals. This was due to it being the most expensive film Elvis made to this point, budgeted at $2,975,000(b).

The larger budgets of these two films and Elvis's next two; Fun In Acapulco (1963) and Viva Las Vegas (1964) forced Colonel Parker to seek out Producers willing to make cheaper films and maximize profit. This decision created Kissin' Cousins (1964), Harum Scarum and a host of others.

Its' interesting to note that Tickle Me (1965) had the highest profit margin in Elvis's film career. Production Cost was budgeted at $399,750 and went $6,650 over budget finishing at $406,400 plus Elvis' salary for a total budget of $1,156,400(c). This was less than Variety reported on July 27, 1965, $1,476,000. Domestic box office rentals of $3,400,000(d) and foreign rentals of $1,600,000 made a worldwide total of $5,000,000(e) and brought profits of around $3,800,000!

Tickle Me's profit alone was more than the average rentals Elvis's films were making at the box office up to that time (avg $3,300,000). But, quality suffered with the smaller budgets. Sets were cheap, many of the casts and crews worked on TV more than features - Elvis was contractually stuck on this assembly line and between 1965 and 1968 he churned out 10 features before a change was made.

Elvis's musicals since his return from the Army in 1960 (GI Blues, Blue Hawaii, Girls Girls Girls) returned healthy rentals (avg $4,100,000) it was the dramas and comedies with fewer songs that struggled (Flaming Star, Wild in The Country, Follow That Dream, Kid Galahad) only averaging $2,400,000. It Happened At The World's Fair's disappointing box office must have been a surprise.

I've always enjoyed the film, it is a little too long and could have done without the musical toys scene but Elvis aquits himself well as does the supporting cast. it is a well-filmed, good looking musical that looks great on Blu-ray.

(a) http://www.historylink.org/File/9363
Century 21: Seattle's September Days with Elvis Presley, 1962 by Peter Blecha posted May 8, 2010

(b) Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History by Aubrey Soloman - P.253 Appendix B Production Costs

(c)Pg. 285 Michael A. Hoey, Elvis' Favorite Director: The Amazing 52-Film Career of Norman Taurog, Bear Manor Media.

(d) "Big Rental Pictures of 1965", Variety, 5 January 1966 p 6

(e)Variety July 27, 1965
I consider Flaming Star, Wild in The Country, Follow That Dream, Kid Galahad some of his best work along with Viva Las Vegas, which was helped along by the hot chemistry between Elvis and Ann-Margret. But Elvis always bowed to the Colonel, even when it was obvious the Colonel was interested in nothing but a fast cash grab. Or obvious to everybody else.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I consider Flaming Star, Wild in The Country, Follow That Dream, Kid Galahad some of his best work along with Viva Las Vegas, which was helped along by the hot chemistry between Elvis and Ann-Margret. But Elvis always bowed to the Colonel, even when it was obvious the Colonel was interested in nothing but a fast cash grab. Or obvious to everybody else.
I'm not a major Elvis fan at all because I abandoned rock 'n' roll when I was fourteen, but I have all four of those films on Blu-ray disc and I'm very glad that I have.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Still living near Seattle, I may have to order this. I remember my dad taking the family to the Fair when I was 5. For some reason one of my most vivid memories was calling and talking to my mom who had stayed home on a futuristic touch tone phone.

With 9 degrees of separation, I watched “The Battered Bastards of Baseball” on Netflix last night. Kurt Russell narrated a good part of another film featuring the PNW. “The colorful true story of the Portland Mavericks, a scrappy, independent baseball team of underdogs started by actor Bing Russell in the 1970s.”

I watched this last night with my wife. I expected to just watch it on the family room LG CX assuming it would be 4x3 or 16x9 at best but it is 2.35:1 so we watched it in the theater on the new RS3100.

The close ups looked pretty good for a film nearly 60 years old. The wider angle chase scene was pretty bad, the one with Danny picking Sue Lin up at the Dream Car exhibit and getting chased by security while he leaves the Fair after hours.

I didn't think it was all that good of a movie and while Elvis sang well, the songs weren't exactly toe tappers.

Yet we really enjoyed the nostalgia. Watching Elvis trace the same steps through the fair we have taken many times was a lot of fun. Much has changed but a lot has stayed the same. I didn't remember the NASA exhibit until watching the movie. Not a clear memory as a 5 year old but it was a highlight for my Dad, an Air Force Pilot and Boeing Engineer. I suppose you could call him a Rocket Scientist. It was worth the 10 bucks for sure and I imagine It will get a couple replays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks