What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Thoughts About....Blu-ray/DVD FLIPPER DISCS (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce /forum/thread/297010/a-few-thoughts-about-blu-ray-dvd-flipper-discs/90#post_3650768

I'm not sure why figuring out what side to put up is so difficult. HD DVD combos were exactly the same. If you see the red ring, you’re watching the HD DVD side. On blu-ray flippers, if you see the blue ring, you’re watching the blu-ray. I'm sorry but whats so hard about that?

Also if you have trouble reading the label on a flipper disc then you probably also have trouble reading the text in a novel or a news paper or a prescription bottle, and should consider seeing an eye doctor.
Originally Posted by Scott-S /forum/thread/297010/a-few-thoughts-about-blu-ray-dvd-flipper-discs/90#post_3650896

This dumbing down is confusing to those of us who know whats going on. If that makes sense. The label should be on the same side as the data.

It doesn't make sense to my brain that they are labeling the discs on the opposite side of the actual target. This is like putting the "Side A" on the opposite side of a cassette tape, then telling people that the label should face inward when inserting. LOL
First off, I DO see an eye doctor regularly. Ever since I turned 50, my close-up vision just ain't what it used to be. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

While the cassette analogy is okay, I think of the last two-sided disc I used-to-use on a regular basis--the LP. The information on the "up" side corresponded with the information that was on the "up" side of the disc. Of course, the stylus at the end of the tonearm needed to come in contact with the top of the disc so we would put the disc on the player face up. Since most of us HT people know the laser faces up in our DVD & BD players, it leads to the momentary confusion. We were just trained to think a different way. It's hard to teach a dog new tricks.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I am a bit confused with this thread. Why is it that we consumers, are having to explain and justify to the seller, why we don't like or want 'flipper' discs? Should it not be the other way around? Shouldn't Universal have to convince us, as to why we need or should want a flipper? In any case, my stand is very clear, I do not like flippers and I don't want them. Thus, I shall not buy a flipper and a 'flipper' would mean 'rental only'.

@ Universal
Please explain what is it that we consumers gain from a flipper compared to two seperate discs. The fact is, Universal is the only party that gains from a 'flipper' and that too at the cost of the consumer. By 'cost', I don't neccesarily mean in terms of money, but in terms of convenience, longevity, lack of artwork etc.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I just read some fascinating information, on another site.

Seems the 3rd Bourne "flipper" movie is defective, according to a recall notice sent out to Best Buy ( i think).
The person posting said they received a notice not to put that movie out today, and to return it to the distributor. That replacement copies would have a red dot by the UPC.

I do not know this as fact. Just passing on what i read from another site forum. But it is interesting that Ron, and Bill Hunt only got the first 2 movies to review. I do not see any reviews for the 3rd flipper movie.

Like i say, i do not know this as fact...but if so...

Universal wonders why we do NOT want flippers!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
But it is interesting that Ron, and Bill Hunt only got the first 2 movies to review.
Actually we both received all three titles. The third was delayed by a day or two
and we decided not to wait to do our assessment.
For the record, I just opened up my copy of The Bourne Ultimatum and played
both sides of the disc, skipping through various chapters with no problems.
Interesting news about the recall. Will keep an eye out for any additional news.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/297010/a-few-thoughts-about-blu-ray-dvd-flipper-discs/120#post_3651230
While the cassette analogy is okay, I think of the last two-sided disc I used-to-use on a regular basis--the LP. The information on the "up" side corresponded with the information that was on the "up" side of the disc. Of course, the stylus at the end of the tonearm needed to come in contact with the top of the disc so we would put the disc on the player face up. Since most of us HT people know the laser faces up in our DVD & BD players, it leads to the momentary confusion. We were just trained to think a different way. It's hard to teach a dog new tricks.
A classic case of "Knowing just enough to know that you know too much!" /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The more appropriate analogy is the LaserDisc, and I KNOW there are lots of people in the HT community familiar with that device. /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by RickER /forum/thread/297010/a-few-thoughts-about-blu-ray-dvd-flipper-discs/120#post_3651285
I just read some fascinating information, on another site.
Seems the 3rd Bourne "flipper" movie is defective, according to a recall notice sent out to Best Buy ( i think).
The person posting said they received a notice not to put that movie out today, and to return it to the distributor. That replacement copies would have a red dot by the UPC.
I do not know this as fact. Just passing on what i read from another site forum. But it is interesting that Ron, and Bill Hunt only got the first 2 movies to review. I do not see any reviews for the 3rd flipper movie.
Like i say, i do not know this as fact...but if so...
Universal wonders why we do NOT want flippers!
Even if this is true, it doesn't give us any reason to assume that there is a problem with the "flipper" format. Maybe there was a problem with the authoring of the disc, and not with its physical production? It would hardly be the first time something like that has happened. Jumping immediately to the conclusion that this indicates some flaw with the flipper format is exactly the kind of uninformed knee-jerk reaction that this debate has too much of already.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you, Carl.

Let's not have any knee-jerk reactions until we know what
the recall is all about.

As I noted, my disc plays just fine. However, that's not
saying something may be wrong here that is inherent of
the flipper disc or not.

Let's just wait to hear further.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /forum/thread/297010/a-few-thoughts-about-blu-ray-dvd-flipper-discs/120#post_3651347
Thank you, Carl.
Let's not have any knee-jerk reactions until we know what
the recall is all about.
As I noted, my disc plays just fine. However, that's not
saying something may be wrong here that is inherent of
the flipper disc or not.
Let's just wait to hear further.
But I had the tar, feathers, pitch forks and torches all ready. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by cafink /forum/thread/297010/a-few-thoughts-about-blu-ray-dvd-flipper-discs/120#post_3651345
Even if this is true, it doesn't give us any reason to assume that there is a problem with the "flipper" format. Maybe there was a problem with the authoring of the disc, and not with its physical production? It would hardly be the first time something like that has happened. Jumping immediately to the conclusion that this indicates some flaw with the flipper format is exactly the kind of uninformed knee-jerk reaction that this debate has too much of already.
I agree that making assumptions about the reason behind an unsubstantiated recall rumor is really stretching it. However, I take issue with your characterization of the negative opinions that are being expressed in this thread as "uninformed knee-jerk" reactions. The majority of those who are voicing concerns about these discs and the motivations behind them are doing so in a reasonable way and are citing legitimate reasons. They just don't happen to agree with you. Let's keep the egos out of the discussion, shall we?

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
I hope that Universal doesn't base acceptance of flipper discs on sales of the Bourne flippers. As of this morning a certain on-line retailer is selling the 3 flippers for $15.02 less than the Blu-ray only set.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Clearly the studios want to move to BD only at some point (or, at least, BD only for anything they deem worthy of putting on BD) but do not want to go "cold turkey". The flipper is one way to approach it and Disney's multi-disc is another. Obviously, given a choice, the Disney approach is preferable for any number of reasons. However, from the studio's perspective, it makes it easier for "permanent sharing" if the DVD is a separate disc. Universal clearly wants to see if it can avoid creating that "permanent sharing" loophole with the flipper disc. If their experiment is to have any hope of generating revenue, I suspect that those hoping to see BD-only releases are destined for disappointment. BD is still a "specialty batch" (in a sense) and splitting it in two (BD only and BD/DVD flipper) only decreases overall profit margins. If Universal titles uniformly underperform after the flipper release, I suspect it will die a quiet death. If Universal makes all future new releases "flipper only", though, that could ensure they stay around for a while.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield /forum/thread/297010/a-few-thoughts-about-blu-ray-dvd-flipper-discs/120#post_3651351
But I had the tar, feathers, pitch forks and torches all ready. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif">
And I had already gotten the oil up to a rolling boil...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by DaveF /forum/thread/297010/a-few-thoughts-about-blu-ray-dvd-flipper-discs/90#post_3650886

The convention is: side covered in artwork goes up. Flippers don't have that. I don't know what a labeled inner hub means. I don't know if it's consistent from disc to disc, studio to studio. Even if I have that set in my mind, I have to take a moment to squint at the ring, spin it to see what it says, and read it.
I don't know, it just seems obvious to me that the label goes up so that you can read it when the disc is sitting in the tray. If you can read the content, and it says blu-ray, you’re watching the blu-ray side.

I realize that a full label would make it a completely thoughtless action, but in my mind it’s really no different than squinting at the label of a 45 to figure out if you want to listen to the single, or the b side. Or an album for that matter to figure out how many bands in is your favorite song.

Doug

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
I realize that a full label would make it a completely thoughtless action, but in my mind it’s really no different than squinting at the label of a 45 to figure out if you want to listen to the single, or the b side. Or an album for that matter to figure out how many bands in is your favorite song.
There ya go. Flippers: no worse than the mediocre way things were 40 years ago when there was nothing better. /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Originally Posted by DaveF /forum/thread/297010/a-few-thoughts-about-blu-ray-dvd-flipper-discs/90#post_3650813
Quote:
I don't know if the inner-ring wordings are labels or this-side-up indicators.
I know from years of experience that the shiny side goes down, so data goes down. I get a DVD flipper and the inner ring says "Anamorphic". Am I looking at the anamorphic side, so I should turn it over so that shiny side is down to play the anamorphic version, like I've been trained? Or is it a "this side up" indicator, so the label faces up and the opposite side is the "shiny" side, facing down.
So I have to think about it every single time because it doesn't make since and doesn't follow conventions. And this minor inconvenience gets in the way every time I encounter a flipper.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that had to stop and think about it with DVD flippers. It was always an annoyance and one of the reasons for my distaste for flippers.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Where are those BD/DVD hybrid discs we heard about in the other flipper threads? Make everybody (mostly) happy: no flipping, artwork, both formats. Is the combo a pre-emptive strike to attain a market position? What else is planned for being on the combo discs? Why is Bourne on BD being marketed so "awkwardly", or at least atypically? Is this Matt Damon's doing? What message is being sent? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Just got home from work. When i made my post this morning, it was right before i left for work. Anyway, right after i read the thread on another site that mentioned a recall of the discs, i had to come to this thread. As i was in a hurry, i read Ron's first post, and saw only the first 2 movies listed.
I have no first hand knowledge of a recall. Just know what i read. I believe little that i read, and just a bit more of what i see. But, as this is the Internet, if you don't mention what you read, we wouldn't have anything to talk about!

I didn't think it would be cool to mention where i read the news, as it was a forum on another site.

It is quite probable to be BS. But then, so are double sided discs!

Mike, i sure would like to keep the tar boiling anyway! Feathers, go to good in a pillow, so i would use memory foam in the place of feathers!

Just checked the forum, on the other site.

The Bourne Ultimatum is on back order on Amazon, and Best Buy.com. And someone posted the back of a corrected disc, you can see the little red dot by the UPC. That's a corrected disc, evidently.

To those that wish to buy, good luck, hope it works out for you!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /forum/thread/297010/a-few-thoughts-about-blu-ray-dvd-flipper-discs/120#post_3651289
For the record, I just opened up my copy of The Bourne Ultimatum and played
both sides of the disc, skipping through various chapters with no problems.
Just for clarity, did you just skip through the disc, or watch both sides in their entirety?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
After reading through this thread I think I understand why we are getting flippers. It is to increase the rate that discs will have to be repurchased.

DVDs end up in cars, portable players or kids hands, BDs do not. DVDs travel, BDs stay at home. Essentially what is being done here is a Blu-ray disc is being attached to a DVD that will much more likely be destroyed. The hope is that it takes the BD with it.

This is a classic case where the consumer's needs/wants seem to be irrelevant to the manufacturer. They produce a product in such a way to solve some of THEIR problems while telling the consumer the reason they are doing this is for the consumer's benefit. This consumer isn't biting.

I won't be buying any flippers. However, a package with separate BD and DVD discs might actually induce me to purchase a disc that I otherwise would not if it was BD only. Hopefully in the future I will get more opportunities to make such a decision.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks