What's new
World Wide Stereo

7.1 source into 5.1 receiver (1 Viewer)

Blindsided46

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
Quick question -
I downloaded a movie and didn't realize the audio track is 7.1. My receiver only decodes 5.1. Will I be losing anything here? Or will it all down-mix into 5.1?
Thanks!

728x90

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The playback source, configure it 5.1. Then it will send it already packed for your AVR to handle it.Of course, if you told us the source and AVR, then we'd know if you have to set your source up...You didn't even give us a hint as to the connection used.MCH?toslink?(digital coax)HDMI?

Blindsided46

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
Its basically a torrent file I downloaded and it's specifically in the 7.1 (8 channel) format so there's really no options for switching the soundtrack to 5.1.

It will be streaming from my Windows 8 laptop over my network to my Xbox One (which if anyone is wondering, yes it does work so long as the file is either .mp4 or .wmv with 6 or 8 channel audio) which is connected via optical cable to my Onkyo receiver which is of course a 5.1 AVR.

I'm not home at the moment so I can't really test it out myself. My concern is that my AVR is only going to handle one of the two rear surround tracks...if that make sense.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since you are using toslink XBox One to your AVR...

Your XBox One is providing the downmix from 7.1 to 5.1. Toslink doesn't carry 7.1 anyway...never has, never will.

Blindsided46

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
Gotcha! Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Man of Steel still sounded ridiculously awesome lol

..So much so that my subs rattled my $1500 acoustic guitar off its wall hanger :(

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My living room houses all the collectables...Several swords from around the world(dating to 1600). Several washboards and a turn of the, last, century doctor's office scale(with height gage).So bass gets plenty of accompaniment...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks