What's new

Finally - true 7.1, and I'm sold (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
So, I've had the HT bug for years now. I got in (officially) back around '02 or so best I remember. I've had various 5.1 and 5.2 configurations over the years. Up until we redid (read reclaim from the teenager) our bonus room over the garage, I've never had a true 7.1 experience. I've always had either rear or side speakers, but never the full rear AND side. I have to say, it's really a big difference. We've watched a few movies (nothing too action-heavy yet) from streaming sources, and I can't believe the difference. I can't wait to throw a good BD in and enjoy it, loudly. Even with my old Onkyo 574, I have to say I'm really enjoying it. It's "new", all over again.

I'm using my original Boston CR85s for the front, with a CRC center, CR55 rears, and VRS Micro for the sides with my DIY 15" Dayton sub. I picked up the CRC and CR55s from eBay for a song. I'd really like to get my Denon 710 up there and let it do some work - it's a much better receiver than that Onkyo.

For some reason (and it may just be because I haven't messed with the Onkyo in a few years) I can't seem to figure out the best "mode" for content. I want the receiver to play whatever the source is sending (it's connected with a digital optical cable since that Onkyo doesn't have arc). Best I remember it's "direct" on the Onkyo - is that correct? It seemed to want to default to DPLIIx, but manually selected DDEx. Is direct the ticket, or am I remember that wrong?

EDIT: it seems direct is what I'm looking for, but I need to check to make sure the Samsung is set to bitstream output for that to work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Direct is usually used for music. You need to describe how components are connected. I get the impression you have them connected to the TV, then passed to the receiver using the digital optical output, which isn't the way you ideally should go.

EDIT: I looked up the receivers. The Onkyo doesn't have hdmi, so that'll pretty much be a no-go. The Denon 710 is fairly recent, has Atmos, so you just need to get that one hooked up.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
John - correct, no HDMI on that Onkyo. At present the only device hooked up to the display is an XBox One via HDMI, and then digital optical from the display to the Onkyo. I'll likely end up moving the Denon upstairs which should simplify my connection situation.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I've got banana plugs ordered which should speed up the receiver swap. I think my monitor out on the Denon is bad though - either that or pass-through has died. I remember I had to hook everything up directly to the display with that one a few months ago. Maybe I can swing a new receiver out of this deal from the Mrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks