What's new
World Wide Stereo

5.1 Philips Speakers (1 Viewer)

rapidfirerob

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
I bought a Philips DVD/5.1 Surround system used a year ago. I am getting a Blu Ray player for Xmas. I would like to buy a surround sound receiver. The five speakers that came with the Philips system have proprietary plugs for the Phillips DVD player. Can I cut off the plugs and use the existing wire to plug into a new surround receiver? It is for our bedroom so the little speakers would be fine. Thanks.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Typically not; but if there are only two wires you might be okay. A bigger problem will be the ohm rating. Those specialty speakers are usually 4 ohm, and will cause problems (as in fry) most receivers that don't explicity state they can handle 4 ohm speakers.

rapidfirerob

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
OK. I have two Radio Shack Minimus 7s. I thought about buying two more, plus a subwoofer. I also have an older center speaker already. That would work, wouldn't it? I'm thinking seriously about this Pioneer receiver. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039XQL2G/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1KZVTH37G3KAX1BQJN95&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

I don't want to spend more than about $200, and this one seems to get the best review on Amazon. Any recommendations for a receiver or relatively inexpensive subwoofer? Thanks again.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Huh. What do you know, I did a search on those Radio Shacks and people seem to like them. It looks like it's worth a try. I found one site that said they were 6 ohm, so you should be good. Don't crank them up until you see how your receiver handles them (doesn't get too hot or cut out).

As you might expect, low end subs are a mixed bag. I bought a $120 Polk for my son and it was nearly worthless so I sent it back. I bought a low end set of JBL speaker for my study, and while I eventually gave up on the speakers, I'm still using the sub that came with it (although it's the next thing to get replaced).

I just went through a purchasing cycle for a sub and I found that when you get to around $300 the subs get to be decent across the board.

rapidfirerob

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Every where I read, it says they are 8 ohms.

$100 on the subwoofer. It's only for our bedroom anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks