What's new

300: HD DVD edition - Best hidef disc, period? A review. (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Romar,

we might be able to infer that from the average bit-rate of the TrueHD stream once we get to play it on the PS3 and compare against the average bit-rate for a standard 16-bit TrueHD disc.

A 24-bit TrueHD should be about twice the bit-rate of a 16 bit.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

David do we know if the original masters were recorded at 24bit? They aren't always. In fact more often than not sound effects libraries are on audio CDs and on set audio is almost always recorded at 16bit. 24 bit TrueHD might be waste of space.

Doug

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

I live in the UK, my US Blu-ray copy was shipped on 20th July & received on the 24th.

There's a lot of online sites that appear to receive copies & ship them a couple of weeks before the official release date. I'm not sure if this is breaking any regulations, but hell I'm not complaining! :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Doug,

obviously this only has meaning in the context of a PCM master that's 24 bit resolution to begin with. I don't know the situation with this particular master. I was only suggesting a realiable way to determine whether the Dolby TrueHD encode on a particular disc happened to be 16 or 24 bits, since that was the question that was asked.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, saw that too. Good news, I hope that's representative of how it will look to the rest of us since both the HD DVD and BD will share this VC-1 encode.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
While at CC last night they had a Blu Ray display going showing an extended making of "300"...the images of the interviews with the directors, actors etc was crystal clear..very 3D like (32" flat panel set up)..however when they showed various scenes from the movie I was shocked at how grainy the movie looked...I never saw it in the theater, is that how the original looked?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Thanks...

Personally I found it to be extremely annoying...and that was just seeing 5 minute snippets of the film...watching the whole movie with that much grain seems almost too distracting for me.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Yep, these days cartoon colors are the only acceptable form of stylistic choice.:)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Curious....Have either of you actually seen 300 footage?

aaron campbell

Second Unit

Not on disc. I saw it at the theater ( DLP showing). I also have the free dvd they gave away before the movie was out. And the PS3 trailer download.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks