24 Season 1: Steelbook Limited Edition

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

2. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

That is some of the lamest packaging ever! oh cool a digital readout. I can set my steelbook time to synch up as i watch the show! It's almost as ridiculous that many people will rebuy S1 for a commentary or two.

3. Demis G

Demis G Second Unit

That's not a steelbook.
    I wish Mr. Lambert can edit the news article on TVShowsOnDVD before any die-hard fans start emailing him.

That's a Tin Case. It is very different from a Steelbook.

The tin case is "LIKE" the Lion Voltron sets. Their job is to "house" the digipack inside.

4. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I'll pass. I already own season 1. I buy the sets for the episodes, not the extras.

5. WillG

WillG Producer

How is it any more ridiculous than anyone who double dips on any other new SE release, especially since it has been several years since the original season 1 set was released. I'm actually kind of happy they're going back and giving this season the same type of attention as the others. When Season 1 was first released, it was very frustrating that there were no substantial extras because I was dying to know more about the show at the time (granted we now do with all the subsequent releases which, BTW, have some excellent special features, not just "a commentary or two" as has been posted here). IIRC, 24 Season 1 was pretty much the pioneer of a "Pre-Next Season" release. The show was just barely hanging on back in those days, but this, unusual for the time, rush to the market precluded any substatial extras.

Remember as well that the first season didn't even have DD 5.1 as all the others do. Hopefully that will be getting upgraded. Hopefully as well, they'll finally put the unedited plane explosion sequece on there (I think enough time has finally gone by and a plane explosion pales in comparison compared to some of the stuff they have done since. Christ! They nuked L.A.!) So perhaps I will go for this when it is a slow release week or when I'm ordering something off Amazon and I need something else to push my order to over $25 to get free shipping. Sometimes these sets show up at Costco for pretty cheap as well.

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I wonder if Fox is going to pull the first S1 set out of print.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure there's a number of movies and even some TV shows that have had a re-release before this one.

7. WillG

WillG Producer

It would also be nice if they released this on Blu-Ray

8. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Season 1 sets will not be pulled. The thinpack sets were only recently released.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

You're probably right and even if they did, it will probably take a loooooong time to burn through their existing stock anyway.

Like WillG, I'm hoping that they start Blu Ray releases at the same time.

10. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

As tempting as this set is, I don't think I'll double-dip unless/until it's released on Blu-ray. I'm actually surprised they're apparently not releasing it on BD day-and-date with this new set.

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Especially since it would be a good time to start to catch up with BR releases since there won't be a S7 set until December 2009.

12. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I wonder if they'll remaster the picture and sound for this set. Like Will said, season 1 didn't even have DD 5.1 and the PQ is very sub-par compared to the other seasons. I'd much rather have this set on Blu-Ray, but if the PQ/AQ are improved and the extras are actually worth watching I might bite as season 1 of this show is probably still my favorite.

13. WillG

WillG Producer

So it looks like they are not upgrading the audio and DVDfile is reporting that the same transfers will be used. Makes this potential double dip a much less tempting. Guess this probably means a Blu-Ray release is unlikely as well.

14. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    GAH! I was hoping that they would at least add the Previously On 24 recaps that were strangely omitted from the old Season 1 set.

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I still think that's a possibility. It's tough to imagine that they'd be touting a Previously On in the press release.

16. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

The more I think about it, I think they'll release S1 (or S6) on Blu in December. They won't have the usual DVD-set promotion for S7's premiere in Jan. '09, so I imagine they'll release their first 24 Blu-ray set then to help promote the new season. Either S1 or 6 would be the most likely for release. It seems logical to me, especially coming from FOX - one of the worst studios when it comes to double-dips.

17. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    Fox is probably going to have to retransfer seasons 1-3 since they currently exist on SD masters before even considering Blu-ray.