– Gilda – 1946

– Hawaii – 1966

– Christmas Eve – 1947

– The Intern – 2015

– Of Mice and Men – 1992

– All Things Must Pass – 2015

The Prices

Posted Image
The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs (Date) Amazon BestBuy Target
12 Monkeys (Season One) (Universal)  $32.99    
All Things Must Pass: The Rise and Fall of Tower Records (Filmrise)  $24.95    
Arthur & Merlin (Vertical Entertainment)  $20.99    
Christmas Eve (Olive Films)  $11.99    
Condemned 2, The (Lions Gate)  $17.98    
Continnum (Season Four) (Universal)  $27.99    
Cut, The (Strand)  $29.99    
Dead End (Maverick)  $8.99    
Diary of a Teenage Girl (Sony)  $22.99    
Everest (Universal)  $16.99 $16.99 $16.99
Fifty Million Frenchmen $21.99    
Gary Owen: I Agree With Myself (Image)  $11.49    
General Spanky $21.99    
Gilda (Criterion)  $22.99    
Girl Like Her, A (Cinedigm)  $14.99    
Gold Dust Gertie $21.99    
Her Majesty Love $17.99    
How We Got Away With It $14.99    
I Am Thor (Dark Sky)  $19.99    
Inside Llewyn Davis (Criterion)  $22.99    
The Intern     $14.99
Jem and the Holograms (Universal)  $16.99    
Learning to Drive (Broad Green)  $12.99    
Let There Be Light: John Huston's Wartime Documentaries (Olive Films)  $24.95    
Little House on the Prairie (Season 8: Deluxe Remastered Edition) (Lions Gate)  $19.78    
Men With Beards $24.99    
Morricone Conducts Morricone $24.99    
Saint, The (Seasons 3 & 4) (Timeless)  $42.99    
Serial (Olive Films)  $24.95    
Sisters: Season Three (Shout! Factory)  $27.99    
Stonewall (Lions Gate)  $16.99    
Straight Outta Compton (Universal)  $17.99 $17.99 $16.99
Undesirable, The (Olive Films)  $24.95    
Woodlawn (Universal)  $14.99    

Posted Image
The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays (Date) Amazon BestBuy Target
12 Monkeys (Season One) (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $39.99    
All Things Must Pass: The Rise and Fall of Tower Records (Blu-ray) (Filmrise)  $17.49    
American Gigolo (Blu-ray) (Warner Bros.)  $9.69    
Bound for Glory (Blu-ray) (Twilight Time)       
Christmas Eve (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $14.99    
Condemned 2, The (Blu-ray) (Lions Gate)  $17.99    
Continnum (Season Four) (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $32.99    
Diary of a Teenage Girl (Blu-ray) (Sony)  $24.99    
Everest (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $22.99 $22.99 $19.99
Everest (Blu-ray 3-D) (Universal)  $22.99   $29.99
From the Terrace (Blu-ray) (Twilight Time)       
Gilda (Blu-ray) (Criterion)  $27.99    
Guardian, The (1990) (Blu-ray) (Shout! Factory)  $21.49    
Hana-Dama: The Origin (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $29.95    
Happy Ending, The (Blu-ray) (Twilight Time)       
Hawaii (Blu-ray) (Twilight Time)       
I Am Thor (Blu-ray) (Dark Sky)  $29.98    
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray) (Criterion)  $27.99    
The Intern (Amazon Exclusive Release Date 1-18-16) (Warner Bros.) $22.99   $22.99
Jem and the Holograms (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $22.99    
Last Detail, The (Blu-ray) (Twilight Time)       
Let There Be Light: John Huston's Wartime Documentaries (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $14.99    
Life Tracker (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $29.95    
Luther the Geek $17.99    
Of Mice and Men (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $14.99    
Serial (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $14.99    
Straight Outta Compton (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $19.99 $19.99 $19.99
Undesirable, The (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $14.99    
Woodlawn (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $19.99    

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Another round of Twilight Time releases this week.  Pre-order HERE or HERE.

--Best Buy, this week, has a FREE T-SHIRT with their Blu-ray copies of Straight Outta Compton.   Limited quantities. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy also has a deal to save $5 when you buy Straight Outta Compton on Blu-ray AND the SOC CD soundtrack ($13.99)..

--And, BB has the Blu-ray of The Martian on sale for $17.99 this week.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to report.

--Target this week has an  EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK of Straight Outta Compton.  And...buy BOTH Straight Outta Compton (any video format) AND the CD soundtrack ($13.99) and get a FREE $5 Target GiftCard.

--Target is also advertising the X-Files: Seasons 1-6 on Blu-ray for $14.99 apiece this week. 

--A list of $5 and $13 DVDs are in a Buy One Get One 50% off sale at Target this week.  Titles shown and select others.  Titles shown include:  $5:  Draft Day, Bext Exotic Marigold Hotel, Skyfall, Captain Phillips.  $13:  Pixels, Terminator Genisys, The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2.

--Target has the following TV on DVD titles on sale this week (all DVD unless othewise noted):  

$14.99:  Modern Family: Season 6, Bones: Season 10, Homeland: S4, X-Files: Seasons 1-6 (apiece) (Blu-ray).

$17.99:  Flash: Season 1

$19.99:  Better Call Saul: Season 1, Outlander: S1 Volume 2

$24.99:  Mr. Robot: Season 1 

--Target has a number of Dreamworks animated titles for $10 apiece on DVD.  Titles include: Home, Penguins of Madagascar, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Kung Fu Panda, Kung Fu Panda 2.  AND...use Target's Cartwheel app to take yet another 10% of ALL Dreamworks animation titles (including Blu-ray)..

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

Last edited by a moderator:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Twilight Time titles are on order; so are the John Huston's Wartime Documentaries; the 3D Everest; and most important, the Michael Curtiz Hungarian silent, The Undesirable. I'll get the Criterion titles during a B&N sale.

Thanks for the round-up, Mike!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This week, I'm coming Straight Outta Compton (that shirt is going to look sweet on me) and I'll pick up Inside Llewlyn Davis (my favorite Coen brother movie) and Gilda when they go on sale.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for your work, Mike. I want Inside Llewyn Davis, but I can also wait until there is a sale.

I would also like to call attention to the release of SAMBA, which isn't in the Roundup. I'm rather annoyed that it does not appear to be receiving a Blu-ray edition in the U.S. and am not sure what I want to do about that, since I don't have a region-free player. However, the movie is absolutely terrific, and I would recommend at least a rental: http://www.amazon.com/Samba-Tahar-Rahim/dp/B016BSP572/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1452994033&sr=1-1&keywords=samba. It would be an immediate purchase for me in Blu-ray format; as-is, I'll probably get it sooner or later, but need to decide between a digital download (which could be HD) or a physical disc (which I like, and which would give me surround sound, as my surround sound can only be connected to one input at a time and is hooked up to the Blu-ray player.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, everyone, for the "likes" on the OP!

Yeah, there's a lot of interesting new stuff out this week. The only pre-order for me is Of Mice and Men. Highly recommended film--for those who haven't seen it. Malkovich and Sinise are pitch perfect.

I canceled my pre-order of Little House/Prairie: Season 8 as it appears Lionsgate and Amazon are committed to finishing up the series on Blu. After a lengthy delay, season 7 was finally released on Blu. And season eight on Blu was just announced...a few days ago.

I will probably find me a used copy of The Intern somewhere down the road. The Morricone DVD looks interesting. And I know I'll be picking up Everest sometime in the future...and probably Gilda, too. The Tower Records doc looks interesting too!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Renting Straight Out of Compton and maybe Everest. I think I'll get Christmas Eve. It sounds entertaining and I'll pick up Gilda in the future.

Thanks, Mike.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My review for Stonewall (DVD only) was posted yesterday. It can be found here.

Five of this month's Twilight Time releases landed on my review list, but I haven't received them yet. Looks like a very strong month of releases for them.

I will eventually get Gilda and Of Mice and Men on Blu-ray.

Thanks, Mike!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
schan1269 said:
The Cut

Another Strand Releasing movie that deserves buyers.

Don't take my word for it...take Scorsese's.
Great director! But we get shortchanged in region A with just a DVD release. Damn.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Some nice catalog releases for the likes of me. I've got a few of the Twilight Times ordered, and Criterion(s) will be picked up eventually.

I'm very interested in the Tower Records documentary, so won't be able to hold off on that for long.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Possibly American Gigolo and Straight Outta Compton (based on all the reviews I've read) for me.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's an Olive Films week for me:

Christmas Eve

Let There Be Light

Of Mice and Men (1992)

The Undesirable

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Definitely want to see All Things Must Pass. When I lived in Denver we had both Tower and Virgin (where I was lucky enough to get a part-time job!) and loved visiting both when I traveled as each one had its own personality. These younguns have NO CLUE what they missed!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
All Things Must Pass. I spent a lot of joyful time in that Tower Records store on Sunset Blvd and it will be nice to go back.
EricSchulz said:
Definitely want to see All Things Must Pass. When I lived in Denver we had both Tower and Virgin (where I was lucky enough to get a part-time job!) and loved visiting both when I traveled as each one had its own personality. These younguns have NO CLUE what they missed!

For me, Tower required a trip to the city so as a teen, it was always 'special' to go there. I don't know that I'll buy All Things... but I definitely want to see it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Once All Things Must Pass comes to a streaming service, I'll be there. Tower was the closest movie/CD store to campus and it was where I got a number of new releases on release night...my very first exposure to a release party of any kind!

For the record, Garth Brooks "Double Live" and the Episode I deluxe VHS set were my pickups.

Nothing this week despite Mike's excellent work to try to separate me from my cash. The next item on my release calendar is on February 2 (Batman: Bad Blood).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Hollywoodaholic said:
All Things Must Pass. I spent a lot of joyful time in that Tower Records store on Sunset Blvd and it will be nice to go back.

I really hope there's some satisfying footage inside the Sunset store. And I hope, probably beyond hope, for something of Tower Classical across the street.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Charles Smith said:
I really hope there's some satisfying footage inside the Sunset store. And I hope, probably beyond hope, for something of Tower Classical across the street.

Tower Records, Tower Classical, Book Soup, Duke's Tropicana Cafe. The perfect Sunset Blvd media field trip. Oh, and Tower Video. I once had to give horror movie rental recommendations to a red-eyed red-haired rocker wandering the aisles... Axl Rose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks