What's new

20th century fox TV archives MOD program (2 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Matt Hough said:
The Women's Murder Club was not crap. It was a decent mystery series. The network (wasn't it ABC that had it?) programmed it on Friday nights with a nothing comedy lead-in, so of course it didn't meet their expectations. As I recall, it was a bubble show and was only canceled at the last minute. Fortunately, Angie Harmon was able to parley her ability to play a convincing detective into Rizzoli & Isles which has been a huge hit for TNT, but she and Rob Estes had some scintillating chemistry in The Women's Murder Club..
I liked her role in the original Law & Order as ADA Abbie Carmichael, around 15 years ago.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The problem with Fox is that they don't have remasters on the majority of their shows from the 50s-80s, which would be what we here would care about. And unlike Warner, who now remasters stuff for Archive releases, Fox doesn't even have a nice set of 1-inch tapes. At least when Turner owned MGM, he had the whole library transferred over from 35mm to 1-inch, although Warner Archive doesn't think those are good enough to use now. Fox doesn't even have that.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I'm curious to know if the quality of the S1 B&W Daniel Boone episodes in the 50th Anniversary complete series set are any better than what Liberation had to work with for their now OOP S1 set, so me know about it. Otherwise, I'm watching the S2 color episodes in my OOP set whenever at this time. I'm guessing that Fox was using those Liberation masters for all those DB seasons 1-6.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Peyton Place should be a top priority, with remastering. If Fox is willing to lease the show to an outside outfit like Time-Life/Star Vista, MPI or even Shout Factory again, I'm all for it.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Vic Pardo said:
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but there's a Fox series from 1961-62 that I just learned about today: "Margie," based on the 1946 Technicolor movie about a high school girl in the 1920s. In the movie, the title character is played by Jeanne Crain; it was directed by Henry King. The TV series starred Cynthia Pepper, whom I've never heard of before. Anyone here ever see this?
I have a complete bootleg set of this show. Haven't watched it all, but pretty much reminds me of "Gidget" if she had lived in the 20's. Cynthia Pepper is very cute.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Richard V said:
I have a complete bootleg set of this show. Haven't watched it all, but pretty much reminds me of "Gidget" if she had lived in the 20's. Cynthia Pepper is very cute.
It would probably be a great opportunity to look at those old sets Fox had.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Richard V said:
Hey! I thought posting about B**tl*gs was VERBOTEN on this site! :angry:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Regulus said:
Hey! I thought posting about B**tl*gs was VERBOTEN on this site! :angry:
I did too, but someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, so I did too.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Richard V said:
I did too, but someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, so I did too.
I have the bootleg too. It's the only way to see this show. I'll be buying the official release if it's issued and I'll disregard the "home made " one.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Howdy. HTF does not condone pirated material, and explicitly forbids discussing how to acquire such material (or circumvent copyright protections). HTF discourages discussion encouraging the acquisition of pirated material.

Enjoy discussing movies and shows of interest. If you acquired it from unsavory sources, "don't ask, don't tell" applies.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
"The Green Hornet" is one I want, along with everyone else, but I understand there are or have been rights issues. Hopefully they can be cleared up. Well, if Batman can come out...Someone mentioned "That's Hollywood" as having potential "rights hell" status. I watched this when it was on, and while I'm sure music rights could be an issue, what I recall is that most or all the clips used were from Fox films. I specifically remember an episode about comedians or comedy teams and there was one clip of the Three Stooges. It was from "Snow White And The Three Stooges" -- of course that's the first film I would think of, if I was looking for a Three Stooges clip to use!Someone else mentioned Metromedia and the 1976 "New Howdy Doody Show" was mentioned in that context. I would love to get a complete set of those. I saw that show when it ran in 1976-1978(?) and while I agree that it's not nearly as good as the original Howdy Doody series, I do fondly remember it. There were a bunch of episodes released years ago first on VHS, then DVD. The first couple VHS box sets had the closing credits left off for some reason. Later releases had completely new openings and closings created replacing the originals. Who knows if there were other edits. I know they say this series crashed and burned quickly but there were 130 episodes, which suggests to me that they did do two seasons. And one episode on the VHS releases had a reference to "President Carter," who took office in January 1977. Anyway, I'd get this if it came out. I wonder what the archive status is for the original Howdy Doody show (owned by Universal at this point, I guess). A bunch of them came out in the past, mostly from kinescopes but the final episode was from color videotape. I remember reading that there was an archive of the original Howdy Doody show with more shows on tape in some warehouse, but they were lost in a fire years and years ago -- long before the Universal fire of recent years. But I can't find the article now.I'd be in for "Crusader Rabbit" as well -- both versions.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The original Howdy Doody has a great percentage of episodes preserved, something like 1800 or so of the 2500 made. As for the remake, I have no specific knowledge but my guess is that if it was a Metromedia property, its been treated as P.D. as have all Metromedia properties, owning to the fact that Fox is so completely clueless that they don't even realize they own those shows. That would explain the cut off credits or replacement credits.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The Metromedia thing threw me re The New Howdy Doody Show. I don't remember Metromedia's name on it, but it was nearly 40 years ago. They could have been a distributor but that wouldn't necessarily mean they would retain rights to it today. Something is telling me it may have been "Gaylord," the company that distributed "Hee Haw" -- I am not sure, the name "Fries Entertainment" is also jumping out at me, but I know they distributed the 1987 40th anniversary special which was later released on VHS. I'll have to look and see if any particular name is on the shows Goodtimes and Madacy (IIRC) DVDs.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
They don't seem to be on Facebook, does this new Fox MOD operation have a homepage? Would be interesting to find, for fans to get in contact with them with any questions.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
HenryDuBrow said:
They don't seem to be on Facebook, does this new Fox MOD operation have a homepage? Would be interesting to find, for fans to get in contact with them with any questions.

Henry I hope in the future that they will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks