What's new

20th century fox TV archives MOD program (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
One reissue I'm sure we'll see if an affordable release on LAND OF THE GIANTS.

Makes sense as BOONE is a reissue.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have seen about 12 episodes of "Bus Stop" and am shocked how great this series is. The series also has an episode that Steven King says was the scariest thing he has ever seen on TV and an episode directed by Robert Altman that was considered so shocking that there were Senate hearings about it. The head of the network was actually fired because of this episode.
I've seen all 26, although I don't have a full run in my collection, and I agree that this series really is great. I don't know anyone who's seen it that doesn't think so. I would have to say that of the 26 episodes, maybe 4 are just alright while the other 22 are excellent. A full run of this would be my biggest want right now.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that in addition to the MTM and Four Star libraries, Fox also owns the Metromedia catalogue. Shows like Private Secretary, The Ann Sothern Show, Crusader Rabbit, Here We Go Again, Firehouse, Dusty's Trail (which is kind of out as a bootleg), San Pedro Beach Bums, Chopper One, Primus and probably some others I'm forgetting.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Bus Stop and many of the others in that original long list were screened in Australia in the early days of these series. There were many Make it In Australia campaigns and I went to one such event to look see one Sunday but in the end there was little headway in that direction and a lot that was made here has been junked or in disarray like variety and game shows and lots of b&w episodes of long running shows wiped for reuse as was "station policy" then. Even the national BBC-style broadcaster wiped majority of tapes of some long running and excellent series in what has been described and a ill-thought out economy drive. Like the BBC, the 1970s is the fatal decade for wipings. At least one local Melbourne production house had their business purchased by a TV network that services the rural area, on the whole, and takes feeds from others. They have made series of drama, mostly police & legal drama in black & white & color available in volumes direct thru their own dedicated website. A little pricey but at least they are available to buy. I knew many people you appeared in those shows. The production company made(they did radio shows original of police, drama and music) series in conjunction with one or other of the three commercial TV networks and shared studio space and facilities with those stations and retained ownership.

Bus Stop TV series starred another MM, Marilyn Maxwell, whose demise was being found dead in her hall closet one day by her son as he returned home from school. I believe he was 15 or 16 at the time. I think she first got noticed in an Andy Hardy film like Donna Reed.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
Vic Pardo said:
"My Friend Flicka" was the first studio-produced TV series to be filmed in color. I'd love to see good prints of this show. I have a box set that's not legit that contains 30 eps. and the prints are generally pretty poor, with the color practically gone from some episodes
I'm glad I read your post because I was thinking of ordering this box set that was advertised on Amazon. I think some of the reviewers said the picture quality was good. I did see a sample episode on Amazon prime and the quality looked dated and fuzzy.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
Neil Brock said:
I've seen all 26, although I don't have a full run in my collection, and I agree that this series really is great. I don't know anyone who's seen it that doesn't think so. I would have to say that of the 26 episodes, maybe 4 are just alright while the other 22 are excellent. A full run of this would be my biggest want right now.
You've got me really hyped about wanting to see this show. It's a shame that they have not shown this in re-runs over the years.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I would gladly replace my bootlegs for proper copies of:

Green Hornet
Five Fingers
Hong Kong
Man Who Never Was
Blue Light
Adventures in Paradise

and would like to revisit

Follow the SunJourney to the Unknown
That's Hollywood (possibly a rights nightmare)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Peyton Place 50th anniversary is on the 15th. Man the shows look good and I would love to watch the Fox box set this year.Hey Pascal welcome to this great forum. I have learned much from here and so shall you.The members are great in sharing information.Mark

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
DeWilson said:
One reissue I'm sure we'll see if an affordable release on LAND OF THE GIANTS.

Makes sense as BOONE is a reissue.
I bought the Land Of the Giants Box Set. It was not only expensive , but had two sided "flipper" discs.
Nice package though!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would take Twelve o clock high, Nanny and the Professor and all the westerns on the list if anything happens with this. Although an online MOD service would be the only way have a chance at most of these.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Vic Pardo said:
"My Friend Flicka" was the first studio-produced TV series to be filmed in color. I'd love to see good prints of this show. I have a box set that's not legit that contains 30 eps. and the prints are generally pretty poor, with the color practically gone from some episodes.
I'd like to see My Friend Flicka again. Sometimes I confuse that show with Fury.I guess Fury was a copy of Flicka . There is a Fury release on DVD, but never a Flicka release. I do recall that the show ran on the Disney Channel about 20 years ago. Weren't there a couple of movies too?

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
LouA said:
I'd like to see My Friend Flicka again. Sometimes I confuse that show with Fury.I guess Fury was a copy of Flicka . There is a Fury release on DVD, but never a Flicka release. I do recall that the show ran on the Disney Channel about 20 years ago. Weren't there a couple of movies too?
Yes, there were two Technicolor movies made by Fox in the 1940s: MY FRIEND FLICKA (1943) and THUNDERHEAD, SON OF FLICKA (1945), both starring Roddy McDowall.

Some of the episodes of the Flicka TV series are up on YouTube. I remember there was one episode that was up in a fairly good copy: "Rogue Stallion," with Claude Akins.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've seen all of 12 O'Clock High on American Life and MeTV in recent years. I've never really watched soap operas, but this one almost seems like one and I don't much care for that.

Too much personal drama in most of the episodes that leave you thinking that if this is an accurate portrayal of the real men behind it, the 8th Air Force must've succeeded out of just plain luck during WWII.

That and I don't think they did a great job of blending stock footage into the show. Especially the color season where I recall some poorly colorized footage when there's original color film that was in vaults.

Hope it comes out though.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but there's a Fox series from 1961-62 that I just learned about today: "Margie," based on the 1946 Technicolor movie about a high school girl in the 1920s. In the movie, the title character is played by Jeanne Crain; it was directed by Henry King. The TV series starred Cynthia Pepper, whom I've never heard of before. Anyone here ever see this?

I wonder if anyone's ever done a systematic study of all the TV series made by studios based on movies in their library. Warner Bros., MGM and Fox were esp. big on adapting movie classics to TV series. Some of the titles I can think of offhand include, in addition to those already mentioned in this thread: "Northwest Passage," "National Velvet," "Cheyenne," "Colt .45," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," "The Greatest Show on Earth," "Casablanca," "The Farmer's Daughter," "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town," "Flamingo Road," etc., etc., etc. The movies were often one-to-three decades old when the series were made.

Now that I think of it, Universal used to make a lot of TV movies based on old movies in their library, e.g. "The Hanged Man," based on RIDE THE PINK HORSE; "Fame is the Name of the Game," based on CHICAGO DEADLINE, which eventually became the series "Name of the Game"; "The Killers," and "Winchester '73," in which Dan Duryea reprised his role of Waco Johnny Dean.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Neil Brock said:
Don't forget that in addition to the MTM and Four Star libraries, Fox also owns the Metromedia catalogue. Shows like Private Secretary, The Ann Sothern Show, Crusader Rabbit, Here We Go Again, Firehouse, Dusty's Trail (which is kind of out as a bootleg), San Pedro Beach Bums, Chopper One, Primus and probably some others I'm forgetting.
Thanks for bringing up Crusader Rabbit. It would be great to at least get the color episodes of that. I know that Fox owns Fantastic Voyage (available in the UK) and Journey to the Center of the Earth, but are you aware of any other unreleased kids shows owned by Fox? Thanks!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Vic Pardo said:
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but there's a Fox series from 1961-62 that I just learned about today: "Margie," based on the 1946 Technicolor movie about a high school girl in the 1920s. In the movie, the title character is played by Jeanne Crain; it was directed by Henry King. The TV series starred Cynthia Pepper, whom I've never heard of before. Anyone here ever see this?

I wonder if anyone's ever done a systematic study of all the TV series made by studios based on movies in their library. Warner Bros., MGM and Fox were esp. big on adapting movie classics to TV series. Some of the titles I can think of offhand include, in addition to those already mentioned in this thread: "Northwest Passage," "National Velvet," "Cheyenne," "Colt .45," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," "The Greatest Show on Earth," "Casablanca," "The Farmer's Daughter," "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town," "Flamingo Road," etc., etc., etc. The movies were often one-to-three decades old when the series were made.

Now that I think of it, Universal used to make a lot of TV movies based on old movies in their library, e.g. "The Hanged Man," based on RIDE THE PINK HORSE; "Fame is the Name of the Game," based on CHICAGO DEADLINE, which eventually became the series "Name of the Game"; "The Killers," and "Winchester '73," in which Dan Duryea reprised his role of Waco Johnny Dean.
I saw Margie when it first aired back in 1961. I recently got a bootleg 23 episode set ,and was able to watch it again. Not bad , funny in a light -hearted sort of way. It won't knock you over with laughter, but it will keep you amused . I'd buy an official set if one were offered. Cynthia Pepper went on co star with Elvis Presley in Kissing Cousins .

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i generally prefer "amusing" to "funny", cuz most things that people find funny, i find a bit ridiculous !!!

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I would welcome the following releases and /or completions where applicable:

Peyton Place
The Green Hornet
Room 222
Nanny and the Professor
The White Shadow

And that's just to name a few... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks