20th century fox TV archives MOD program

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Wonderfrog68, Aug 22, 2014.

1. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    One reissue I'm sure we'll see if an affordable release on LAND OF THE GIANTS.

Makes sense as BOONE is a reissue.

2. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

I've seen all 26, although I don't have a full run in my collection, and I agree that this series really is great. I don't know anyone who's seen it that doesn't think so. I would have to say that of the 26 episodes, maybe 4 are just alright while the other 22 are excellent. A full run of this would be my biggest want right now.

jdee28 and Peter M Fitzgerald like this.
  3. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Don't forget that in addition to the MTM and Four Star libraries, Fox also owns the Metromedia catalogue. Shows like Private Secretary, The Ann Sothern Show, Crusader Rabbit, Here We Go Again, Firehouse, Dusty's Trail (which is kind of out as a bootleg), San Pedro Beach Bums, Chopper One, Primus and probably some others I'm forgetting.

4. moviepas

moviepas Second Unit

Bus Stop and many of the others in that original long list were screened in Australia in the early days of these series. There were many Make it In Australia campaigns and I went to one such event to look see one Sunday but in the end there was little headway in that direction and a lot that was made here has been junked or in disarray like variety and game shows and lots of b&w episodes of long running shows wiped for reuse as was "station policy" then. Even the national BBC-style broadcaster wiped majority of tapes of some long running and excellent series in what has been described and a ill-thought out economy drive. Like the BBC, the 1970s is the fatal decade for wipings. At least one local Melbourne production house had their business purchased by a TV network that services the rural area, on the whole, and takes feeds from others. They have made series of drama, mostly police & legal drama in black & white & color available in volumes direct thru their own dedicated website. A little pricey but at least they are available to buy. I knew many people you appeared in those shows. The production company made(they did radio shows original of police, drama and music) series in conjunction with one or other of the three commercial TV networks and shared studio space and facilities with those stations and retained ownership.

Bus Stop TV series starred another MM, Marilyn Maxwell, whose demise was being found dead in her hall closet one day by her son as he returned home from school. I believe he was 15 or 16 at the time. I think she first got noticed in an Andy Hardy film like Donna Reed.

5. cwilli

cwilli Stunt Coordinator

Cheryl Williams
    I'm glad I read your post because I was thinking of ordering this box set that was advertised on Amazon. I think some of the reviewers said the picture quality was good. I did see a sample episode on Amazon prime and the quality looked dated and fuzzy.

6. cwilli

cwilli Stunt Coordinator

Cheryl Williams
    You've got me really hyped about wanting to see this show. It's a shame that they have not shown this in re-runs over the years.

7. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

I would gladly replace my bootlegs for proper copies of:

Green Hornet
    Five Fingers
    Hong Kong
    Man Who Never Was
    Blue Light
    Adventures in Paradise

and would like to revisit

Follow the SunJourney to the Unknown
    That's Hollywood (possibly a rights nightmare)

Peter M Fitzgerald likes this.
  8. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    Peyton Place 50th anniversary is on the 15th. Man the shows look good and I would love to watch the Fox box set this year.Hey Pascal welcome to this great forum. I have learned much from here and so shall you.The members are great in sharing information.Mark

9. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I bought the Land Of the Giants Box Set. It was not only expensive , but had two sided "flipper" discs.
    Nice package though!

10. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I would take Twelve o clock high, Nanny and the Professor and all the westerns on the list if anything happens with this. Although an online MOD service would be the only way have a chance at most of these.

11. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I'd like to see My Friend Flicka again. Sometimes I confuse that show with Fury.I guess Fury was a copy of Flicka . There is a Fury release on DVD, but never a Flicka release. I do recall that the show ran on the Disney Channel about 20 years ago. Weren't there a couple of movies too?

12. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Yes, there were two Technicolor movies made by Fox in the 1940s: MY FRIEND FLICKA (1943) and THUNDERHEAD, SON OF FLICKA (1945), both starring Roddy McDowall.

Some of the episodes of the Flicka TV series are up on YouTube. I remember there was one episode that was up in a fairly good copy: "Rogue Stallion," with Claude Akins.

13. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    I've seen all of 12 O'Clock High on American Life and MeTV in recent years. I've never really watched soap operas, but this one almost seems like one and I don't much care for that.

Too much personal drama in most of the episodes that leave you thinking that if this is an accurate portrayal of the real men behind it, the 8th Air Force must've succeeded out of just plain luck during WWII.

That and I don't think they did a great job of blending stock footage into the show. Especially the color season where I recall some poorly colorized footage when there's original color film that was in vaults.

Hope it comes out though.

14. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but there's a Fox series from 1961-62 that I just learned about today: "Margie," based on the 1946 Technicolor movie about a high school girl in the 1920s. In the movie, the title character is played by Jeanne Crain; it was directed by Henry King. The TV series starred Cynthia Pepper, whom I've never heard of before. Anyone here ever see this?

I wonder if anyone's ever done a systematic study of all the TV series made by studios based on movies in their library. Warner Bros., MGM and Fox were esp. big on adapting movie classics to TV series. Some of the titles I can think of offhand include, in addition to those already mentioned in this thread: "Northwest Passage," "National Velvet," "Cheyenne," "Colt .45," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," "The Greatest Show on Earth," "Casablanca," "The Farmer's Daughter," "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town," "Flamingo Road," etc., etc., etc. The movies were often one-to-three decades old when the series were made.

Now that I think of it, Universal used to make a lot of TV movies based on old movies in their library, e.g. "The Hanged Man," based on RIDE THE PINK HORSE; "Fame is the Name of the Game," based on CHICAGO DEADLINE, which eventually became the series "Name of the Game"; "The Killers," and "Winchester '73," in which Dan Duryea reprised his role of Waco Johnny Dean.

15. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

And Ironically the trend now is to make Movies from old TV Shows.

Professor Echo and Ron1973 like this.
  16. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Thanks for bringing up Crusader Rabbit. It would be great to at least get the color episodes of that. I know that Fox owns Fantastic Voyage (available in the UK) and Journey to the Center of the Earth, but are you aware of any other unreleased kids shows owned by Fox? Thanks!

17. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Mark Y likes this.
  18. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I saw Margie when it first aired back in 1961. I recently got a bootleg 23 episode set ,and was able to watch it again. Not bad , funny in a light -hearted sort of way. It won't knock you over with laughter, but it will keep you amused . I'd buy an official set if one were offered. Cynthia Pepper went on co star with Elvis Presley in Kissing Cousins .

19. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

i generally prefer "amusing" to "funny", cuz most things that people find funny, i find a bit ridiculous !!!

20. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    I would welcome the following releases and /or completions where applicable:

Peyton Place
    The Green Hornet
    Room 222
    Nanny and the Professor
    The White Shadow

And that's just to name a few... :)