What's new

2014 MLB Regular Season & Post Season too! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The reason why is what Robert posted, "it's the right direction MLB needs to go in."
No. the reason no one inside baseball is speaking out is because they'll get in trouble with MLB if they do. That was my point. It's kind of hard to know how baseball insiders really feel about the policy given their situation.

And if you think the only reason I don't support replay in baseball is due to some "bizarre romantic notion," you haven't been paying attention.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
No. the reason no one inside baseball is speaking out is because they'll get in trouble with MLB if they do. That was my point. It's kind of hard to know how baseball insiders really feel about the policy given their situation.

And if you think the only reason I don't support replay in baseball is due to some "bizarre romantic notion," you haven't been paying attention.
I don't agree that's entirely true. Actually, I think most baseball insiders think it's the right way to go here. Sure, they'll be some that are against it, but it's my opinion that most feel that it's in the best interest of baseball to implement replay and then refine it with improvements in the process. I'm pretty sure the players are for it as I don't see them being afraid of getting in trouble with MLB if they don't agree publicly. The owners and general managers recommended and approved this process. Selig had to be swayed this is the right direction for baseball and it took baseball insiders like Torre and LaRussa to convinced him to do so.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
What folks need to realize is that imperfect though it may be, replay is VASTLY better than "no-replay".

Are there errors? Yes, of course there are. But, there are far more calls gotten correct.

If there was no replay, the step-off still would have been missed, and dozens, if not hundreds of other calls would have been missed Too!!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I don't agree that's entirely true. Actually, I think most baseball insiders think it's the right way to go here. Sure, they'll be some that are against it, but it's my opinion that most feel that it's in the best interest of baseball to implement replay and then refine it with improvements in the process. I'm pretty sure the players are for it as I don't see them being afraid of getting in trouble with MLB if they don't agree publicly. The owners and general managers recommended and approved this process. Selig had to be swayed this is the right direction for baseball and it took baseball insiders like Torre and LaRussa to convinced him to do so.
All I've been saying is that we really can't know what baseball insiders think since they aren't free to speak their mind.

And any contention that replay is a good policy because Bud Selig is behind it is good for a laugh.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
All I've been saying is that we really can't know what baseball insiders think since they aren't free to speak their mind.

And any contention that replay is a good policy because Bud Selig is behind it is good for a laugh.
If you think that's what I'm saying with my Selig comment then there is definitely something being lost in translation in my communication to you. Anyhow, it's probably best I leave this thread for a while.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Robert, if I jumped ahead on the Selig point.

I followed your remarks about Selig needing to be convinced by Torre & LaRussa to proceed with the policy.

I just took it a step further saying that Selig's complicity in most baseball issues, in my mind, doesn't mean much as he has promoted a number of things which I find bad for the game (replay included). He has been a follower of the owners for most of his time as commissioner and, on many issues, probably hasn't had to have had his arm twisted all that much.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,This is slightly tangental to what you and Robert are talking about. No one has to agree with me on this, but I thought I would mention that I don't necessarily believe that it is always better to get the call right. For my own part, I actually like it when a bad call occasionally costs a team a game (in any sport). I think it adds to the mythos and the 'legends' (both with regard to specific persons as well as teams) of various sports as history progresses.

There are probably several examples of blown calls from MLB, the NBA, the NFL, and the NHL that a number of us could come up with if we thought about it for a while. I think it's part of the charm of the four sports I mention here. And the teams I root for have been on the losing and winning sides of such calls. It might make for an interesting discussion in and of itself one day. I'm fairly certain that posters would not always agree that 'such-and-such' a call was necessarily missed or called correctly either, which would generate further discussion. Just some food for thought.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
No. the reason no one inside baseball is speaking out is because they'll get in trouble with MLB if they do. That was my point. It's kind of hard to know how baseball insiders really feel about the policy given their situation. And if you think the only reason I don't support replay in baseball is due to some "bizarre romantic notion," you haven't been paying attention.
Today's professional athlete would have not a problem saying they don't like replay if that is how they felt. I'm sure someone will speak up but everyone I have heard feels getting it right is important. I recall reading several reasons why you don't like replay and I thought at the time and still do think they were all ineffectual arguments compared to the pros of replay.Replay will never be perfect but even the current system, which certainly will be fine tuned, is better then the letting all blown calls stand.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
I recall reading several reasons why you don't like replay and I thought at the time and still do think they were all ineffectual arguments compared to the pros of replay.
That can't be, Patrick. You must not be remembering correctly. They are all spot on.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ockeghem said:
This is slightly tangental to what you and Robert are talking about. No one has to agree with me on this, but I thought I would mention that I don't necessarily believe that it is always better to get the call right. For my own part, I actually like it when a bad call occasionally costs a team a game (in any sport). I think it adds to the mythos and the 'legends' (both with regard to specific persons as well as teams) of various sports as history progresses.
Scott, I love ya, but yer nuts on this one. :p

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
OK, I'll preface this with "Yes. I am a Brewers fan" and "Gomez overreacted", but why is no one calling out Coles for his bullshit excuse "I was over backing up 3rd"? If he was "backing up 3rd" why was he between the mound and the base? The ONLY reason he went over to 3rd was to curse at Gomez, and then run away like the pussy baby troublemaker he is.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dheiner said:
OK, I'll preface this with "Yes. I am a Brewers fan" and "Gomez overreacted", but why is no one calling out Coles for his bullshit excuse "I was over backing up 3rd"? If he was "backing up 3rd" why was he between the mound and the base? The ONLY reason he went over to 3rd was to curse at Gomez, and then run away like the pussy baby troublemaker he is.
:laugh:

To get out of the doghouse he's in, Gomez is going to need to buy donuts one morning for the entire major leagues. :biggrin:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Ockeghem said:
Aaron,I know. Just for once I'd like to see a Red Sox - Yankees game televised for a change. The Red Sox in general are hardly ever on television (excluding NESN, of course).
According to some Cardinal fans, there's an East Coast bias towards those two teams and you never hear positive about St. Louis from ESPN or rarely see a Cardinals game on there.
Cinescott said:
................And the team with the best record in MLB (for the moment) at 8-2 is, the Milwaukee Brewers. Yes, you read that correctly, not that Milwaukee does not have a very good team this year. We do. Currently on a 7 game winning streak, having swept the Red Sox and Philly on the road. A lot of fun to watch. Great pitching, timely hitting.

I'll be at Miller Park on Tuesday to see them battle St. Louis, the thorn in our side ever since '82, when they beat us in the World Series.
And it looks like we'll continue to be for a while..... :D No offense intended, but I thought Milwaukee should've been moved back to the AL instead of Houston being forced to do so.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It was pretty bizarre that they moved the Astros instead of the Brewers.

Also crazy how many teams are already 8 games back!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Aaron Silverman said:
It was pretty bizarre that they moved the Astros instead of the Brewers.

Also crazy how many teams are already 8 games back!
Not bizarre to me as the Astros never had any natural rivals in the NL. Now, at least they have the Rangers. There is a reason why the Brewers/Selig left the AL. The Brewers have the Cubs and to a certain extent the Cardinals. We can add the Pirates now. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ya see, if he had made a run to Dunkin Donuts yesterday morning and picked up several hundred doughnuts, the MLB brass might've been a bit more lenient today. :biggrin:

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Anyone else see the shiner Travis Snider of the Pirates had after the little altercation with the Brewers? Gomez is a hothead, but Snider was far from faultless.

Suspensions all around (rightfully), and Martin Maldonado of the Brewers with the largest one. 5 games. Gomez with 3, but is appealing and will play tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks