What's new

2014 MLB Regular Season & Post Season too! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aw, Robert. Obviously I wasn't serious about Yankee fans taking over control of Replay Central... the only reason for the crack was that the two calls in question ended up favoring the Yanks. I've seen a number of questionable replay situations in other games, too.

I'm just on an anti-replay crusade and a couple of the plays in this weekend's series--I think--support my viewpoint.

Dean Anna was obviously out at 2nd base in Saturday's game...but they got the call wrong claiming that, for some reason, they didn't have the same shots that were being carried on the team broadcasts--including the YES network. MLB has admitted getting it wrong.

And, tonight, the call on the field was that Cervelli was out at first. And, in my opinion, the views of that play on YES were not conclusive enough to overturn the ruling on the field. It was bang-bang, for sure...but I'm certainly not thinking that the call made from the Replay HQ was any more accurate than the umpire who was standing right on top of the play.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Aw, Robert. Obviously I wasn't serious about Yankee fans taking over control of Replay Central... the only reason for the crack was that the two calls in question ended up favoring the Yanks. I've seen a number of questionable replay situations in other games, too.

I'm just on an anti-replay crusade and a couple of the plays in this weekend's series--I think--support my viewpoint.

Dean Anna was obviously out at 2nd base in Saturday's game...but they got the call wrong claiming that, for some reason, they didn't have the same shots that were being carried on the team broadcasts--including the YES network. MLB has admitted getting it wrong.

And, tonight, the call on the field was that Cervelli was out at first. And, in my opinion, the views of that play on YES were not conclusive enough to overturn the ruling on the field. It was bang-bang, for sure...but I'm certainly not thinking that the call made from the Replay HQ was any more accurate than the umpire who was standing right on top of the play.
But, your opinion doesn't matter here. As expected, at least from my perspective, the baseball replay system is going through some growing pains right now, but they're going in the right direction. Of course, there are some that would prefer no replay, but it was only a matter of time with today's technology that eventually MLB would join the rest of the sports leagues in that regard.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's funny. I thought my opinion was the most important one here. :laugh:

One of the building blocks of the replay rule (as it is in football) is that the on-field ruling only gets overturned with incontrovertible proof. I don't think they had that on the Cervelli play.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,Name the only manager in MLB history to win a World Series in his first year of managing a new team who was also the first manager during his next season to be ejected from a game for arguing against an overturned call brought about by the then-current replay rules. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
That's funny. I thought my opinion was the most important one here. :laugh:

One of the building blocks of the replay rule (as it is in football) is that the on-field ruling only gets overturned with incontrovertible proof. I don't think they had that on the Cervelli play.
That might be the intention, but with my DirecTV NFL package I've seen plays get overturned when it wasn't the case. Crap happens as no replay review process is 100% accurate. Anyhow, I've said my piece so Red Sox Nation can carry on.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Crap happens as no replay review process is 100% accurate.
So, do you think that even though they're not 100%, that replay improves things because it's still better than 50%?

Ya see, I don't think it's worth it-given it's flaws in implementation and, apparently, in practice. Baseball was just fine the way it was.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Have they gotten some calls wrong even with replay? Yes, but overall replay has helped them get it right more often then not.The next change to the system will be to review all scoring plays.As for those that whine that the human element is part of the game blah blah blah, give it a rest. I have seen people whine about it on every board I visit and it is absurd.Errors by the players are part of the game but errors by those that no one should even notice in the first place should never be viewed as an acceptable part of the game.I'll even make the case that the replay system in the long run is going to make umpires better as the fear of getting a call over turned by replay will help them focus harder to get call right the first time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
One of the building blocks of the replay rule (as it is in football) is that the on-field ruling only gets overturned with incontrovertible proof.
That's the rule for NFL, too, but it doesn't always happen. Maybe Jeff Triplette is moonlighting as a baseball ump this summer (he's an NFL referee notorious for screwing up replay reviews and overturning calls based on no evidence).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Careful, Malcolm, or all the Jeff Triplette fans will show up and charge you with being an unfair whiner instead of someone looking to cast a little humor on the situation.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
They were talking the other day about ways to speed up the game, and one idea was to have balls and strikes called electronically. I've been suggesting that for years! "Human Element," my ass!

(I actually worry that this may have caused Mike's pulmonary embolism. . .speaking of which, Mike, how are you feeling?)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Careful, Malcolm, or all the Jeff Triplette fans will show up and charge you with being an unfair whiner instead of someone looking to cast a little humor on the situation.
That's part of most baseball fans DNA.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
They were talking the other day about ways to speed up the game, and one idea was to have balls and strikes called electronically. I've been suggesting that for years! "Human Element," my ass!
Right! They do it in tennis now, don't they? On service calls? I don't watch tennis as much as I used to when I was younger.

Bring it on! It'll be great!
(I actually worry that this may have caused Mike's pulmonary embolism. . .speaking of which, Mike, how are you feeling?)
:laugh: Better every day, thanks! Actually thinking about returning to work soon for a few hours a day.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,From an article on last night's game:

"The Red Sox didn't think Semien checked his swing on a 2-2 pitch that would've sent the game into extra innings."

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=340415104

See? This is where instant replay (and overturning calls) could be very beneficial. I long for the day when balls and strikes are also subject to replay. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Absolutely.

Checked swings should be definitely reviewable.

Why not? We've got the technology. And isn't it all about just getting things right?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One of the things I've noticed about the implementation of the Replay in MLB is that everyone connected with the game--whom I've heard, when asked--has responded positively.

I thought this was kind of odd. That no one had expressed any reservations about the move.

Even the YES (Yankee) announcers, when broadcasting the mis-call on the player who clearly took his foot off the base while being tagged were strangely silent about the event.

Now I understand that if you work within an organization, you are expected to toe the company line but players, managers, etc. have usually spoken their mind about issues within the game. So, I was surprised that I haven't heard one player speak out against replay. I figured someone maybe doesn't like the idea. Or, maybe I am the only one!

It turns out that Red Sox manager John Farrell has been fined an undisclosed amount for his criticism of replay after two questionable calls (which I spelled out in earlier posts after the recent Yanks/Sox series in the Bronx. After the last game in that series Farrell said, It's hard to have any faith in the system, to be honest with you."

His complete comments as reported by the Boston Herald:
"We felt that it was clear that the replay was inconclusive. The frustrating part is when this was rolled out and explained to us, particularly on the throw received by the first baseman, we were instructed that when the ball enters the glove -- not that it has to hit the back of the glove -- is where the out is deemed complete. At the same time, any angle that we looked at, you couldn't tell if (runner Francisco Cervelli's) foot was on the bag behind Mike Napoli's leg. Where this became conclusive is a hard pill to swallow. On the heels of (Saturday's replay miscue, it's hard to have any faith in the system, to be honest with you.

"I argued the point that it was inconclusive. I know that arguing a challenge play is not allowed, evident by spending most of the game inside (after being ejected). But on the heels of (Saturday) and today, this is a tough pill to swallow. It's extremely difficult to have any faith in the system, the process that's being used. As much as they're trying to help the human element inside this system, it seems like it's added the human element at a different level."

"When you're talking about something as substantial as replay being brought into the game, there's going to be a learning curve and everybody becoming familiar with it. You would think that video replay would be conclusive -- or there's plays where it's not conclusive, which is tonight. Unfortunately we're on the wrong side of it both times."
I realize managers aren't supposed to criticize umpires publicly, but this seems like a slightly different situation to me. This is a new policy. I guess Farrell was also eligible for a suspension.

Maybe not, but I hope baseball people have the guts to speak out when they think things are wrong.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
One of the things I've noticed about the implementation of the Replay in MLB is that everyone connected with the game--whom I've heard, when asked--has responded positively.

I thought this was kind of odd. That no one had expressed any reservations about the move.

Even the YES (Yankee) announcers, when broadcasting the mis-call on the player who clearly took his foot off the base while being tagged were strangely silent about the event.

Now I understand that if you work within an organization, you are expected to toe the company line but players, managers, etc. have usually spoken their mind about issues within the game. So, I was surprised that I haven't heard one player speak out against replay. I figured someone maybe doesn't like the idea. Or, maybe I am the only one!

It turns out that Red Sox manager John Farrell has been fined an undisclosed amount for his criticism of replay after two questionable calls (which I spelled out in earlier posts after the recent Yanks/Sox series in the Bronx. After the last game in that series Farrell said, It's hard to have any faith in the system, to be honest with you."

His complete comments as reported by the Boston Herald:

I realize managers aren't supposed to criticize umpires publicly, but this seems like a slightly different situation to me. This is a new policy. I guess Farrell was also eligible for a suspension.

Maybe not, but I hope baseball people have the guts to speak out when they think things are wrong.
Because it's the right direction MLB needs to go in.

Farrell should have been fined. Furthermore, his antics against those umpires at the game was wrong because they didn't make that call against his team. Farrell is part of MLB management, his voice will carry more weight behind the scenes than making his issues with the system public like he did as no sport will tolerate any coach or manager questioning the integrity of the game. No matter how egregious the call was against his team.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:

I thought this was kind of odd. That no one had expressed any reservations about the move.........

The reason why is what Robert posted, "it's the right direction MLB needs to go in."

It's not about having the guts to speak out, players unlike you have a lot on the line, and don't view umpire error in some bizarre romantic notion as "part of the game." The bottom line is players like the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks