What's new

2014 MLB Regular Season & Post Season too! (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Going to Miami to catch the Phils taking on the Fish next week. Should be interesting.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Let's see what the Cardinals can do with a long home stand now. :cool:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Any member of Red Sox Nation going to complain about MLB changing the scoring and giving David Ortiz a hit? By the way, what I whiner.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In the Yu Darvish game? I wasn't aware.

There was speculation about that potentially happening as soon as he got the 9th inning hit. I didn't see the earlier play. I turned on NESN in the 9th inning and right after the Ortiz hit Jerry Remy speculated that the earlier play would also be changed.

From the way it was described to me, it sounded more like a hit than an error...but I didn't see it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If that wasn't the first "hit" in the game it would have been scored a hit right away. I don't have a problem with it being changed but it should have been MLB that just did it and Ortiz should have not asked for it to be changed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay. I've just seen it.

Any time I've seen a play like that it's ruled a hit (not that I necessarily agree that they should be). But I could certainly see it being called an error by a home field scorer in the 7th inning of a potential no-hit game.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
That is a hit. It's been a hit for the 50 years I've been watching MLB, and it's a hit today. No contact, no error. Whoever called that an error should have been ashamed. And they should never be allowed to score a game again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dheiner said:
That is a hit. It's been a hit for the 50 years I've been watching MLB, and it's a hit today. No contact, no error. Whoever called that an error should have been ashamed. And they should never be allowed to score a game again.
I have a problem changing the call by MLB after Ortiz asked for a review. Would they have changed the call if Ortiz didn't get a hit later in the game and Darvish completed a perfect game?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TonyD said:
If it was a no hitter I doubt Ortiz would have asked.
I disagree, for years, Ortiz has been fixated on his stats. I think Ortiz is a clown at times and has been given a free pass by the MSM.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
The play was scored incorrectly, by a biased hometown cheater. I'm no Ortiz fan, but he should not have needed to ask. "Major League Baseball" should have fixed the problem and eliminated the cheating scorer.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I realize that the Red Sox are a mediocre team at best this year, but even so the Tigers are playing some darn fine ball. They're on their way to their ninth straight road victory. In my opinion, Detroit is the overall team to beat this year. I believe that the Tigers will go all the way and win the World Series if they remain relatively healthy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dheiner said:
The play was scored incorrectly, by a biased hometown cheater. I'm no Ortiz fan, but he should not have needed to ask. "Major League Baseball" should have fixed the problem and eliminated the cheating scorer.
MLB needs to get with the times and change that rule by giving the official scorer the option of charging a team an error because that was a mental error by two Ranger players. It was a can of corn for the outfielder in particular and he should have caught that ball easily.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Robert Crawford said:
MLB needs to get with the times and change that rule by giving the official scorer the option of charging a team an error because that was a mental error by two Ranger players. It was a can of corn for the outfielder in particular and he should have caught that ball easily.
No. No, no, no, no, no. Changing the rule puts BACK judgement into the hands of (potentially) biased, "official scorers". That rule is, and should remain simple. If the ball is not touched it is a hit.

Why in the world would you want to change it? There are TONS of mental errors in baseball.

Should it be an error when the throw goes to the wrong base? When someone cuts a throw that might have caught someone? How about letting a runner get to big a lead? When a 2nd baseman cuts off a shortstop who has a better throw? What if an outfielder takes a bad angle? Or just a bad first step? Or jumps too early?

And what does it have to do with "the times"?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
TonyD said:
Going to Miami to catch the Phils taking on the Fish next week.Should be interesting.
Can't go.
Have to fly back home to Philly to attend my grandfather's memorial. He just died at 97 years old.

Anyone want to buy tickets to a Marlins game in Miami in the second row first base side parking pass included

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dheiner said:
No. No, no, no, no, no. Changing the rule puts BACK judgement into the hands of (potentially) biased, "official scorers". That rule is, and should remain simple. If the ball is not touched it is a hit.

Why in the world would you want to change it? There are TONS of mental errors in baseball.

Should it be an error when the throw goes to the wrong base? When someone cuts a throw that might have caught someone? How about letting a runner get to big a lead? When a 2nd baseman cuts of a shortstop who has a better throw? What if an outfielder takes a bad angle? Or just a bad first step? Or jumps too early?

And what does it have to do with "the times"?
No, no, no, no, no ! Mental errors by position players shouldn't have hitters rewarded with hits.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Robert Crawford said:
No, no, no, no, no ! Mental errors by position players shouldn't have hitters rewarded with hits.
Why not? Poor pitches, which are often mental errors generate hits all the time. What's the difference.

Why allow cheaters to cheat? If the ball is not touched, it's a hit. Why complicate it? To what purpose?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dheiner said:
Why not? Poor pitches, which are often mental errors generate hits all the time. What's the difference.

Why allow cheaters to cheat? If the ball is not touched, it's a hit. Why complicate it? To what purpose?
Not in my opinion!

Because it's the right thing to do and I don't care if it complicates things.

Anyhow, I said my piece as we just don't agree here.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Ockeghem said:
I realize that the Red Sox are a mediocre team at best this year, but even so the Tigers are playing some darn fine ball. They're on their way to their ninth straight road victory. In my opinion, Detroit is the overall team to beat this year. I believe that the Tigers will go all the way and win the World Series if they remain relatively healthy.
I could go for a repeat of 2006 myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks