2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mike Frezon said:
Replay is so much worse than Interleague Play. And Interleague is bad enough. Replay is 1000 times worse than the DH. Replay will suck all the fun out of baseball. Why bother to even have umpires if all calls will be subject to review? 2 1/2 hour games will become 3 1/2 hour games. 4 hour games will become 5 hour games.
So it's all like the American League from now on.:(

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was thinking about my boy Koji. I guess he's not yet setting Red Sox Nation on fire, but you gotta love his sideburns. He was a real asset to the Rangers' bullpen last year.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I can picture Mike reacting the same way about replay and interleague play as the Nostalgia Critic would with the Bat credit card (from "Batman and Robin"). :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The DH is awesome.

Instant Replay is awesome (even if the umps screwed it up once).

Interleague play every day is lame (I'm not THAT rebellious).

Interesting stat of the day:

Marlins record in 2013: 12-32
Marlins record in 2013 games attended by me and my son: 2-0 (both with really thrilling 9th innings)

Think we can get 'em to give us free season tickets? :)

Incidentally, the new Marlins stadium is great. I don't believe the stuff on the ceiling is low enough to affect the game (we've seen some VERY high pop flies that didn't come close). They keep the roof and giant windows closed for day games when it's hot, and the A/C rocks. Yesterday they opened the roof and windows after the game, which was nice for the kids running the bases (which they do after every Sunday afternoon game) since by then it was still sunny but not so hot. We went to games at Sun Life/ Land Shark/ Pro Player/ Joe Robbie where it was so boiling that we'd have to spend a few innings inside, sitting under helicopter-sized ceiling fans.

On a happier note, I was really worried about traffic getting into Miami (the new park is where the old Orange Bowl used to be). Sun Life is right off the Turnpike and very easy to get to. But of the three games we've been to at the new place, only one of them had a traffic issue on the way in, and traffic when leaving hasn't been too bad either. The down side is that this is because the place is half full (at best). When the Marlins eventually get good again, it'll probably be a PITA to get to.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
As far as Instant Replay dragging games out, consider this: In baseball, more than in any other sport, relationships between the players/ coaches and the officials affect how the game is called. What do you think will happen if a manager goes crazy demanding replays on plays that don't warrant them?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
As far as Instant Replay dragging games out, consider this: In baseball, more than in any other sport, relationships between the players/ coaches and the officials affect how the game is called. What do you think will happen if a manager goes crazy demanding replays on plays that don't warrant them?
I think it will do just as you suggest: drag games out even further than they already are.

Apparently they are leaning away from giving managers the option to "throw a flag" during a game if they've got a play they want reviewed. But we all know how many close "bang-bang" plays there are at first base in any given game. Just as we are seeing now, if you give replay an inch it's going to want to take a mile. If we start reviewing first base calls (just one small example of close plays in baseball) how long is it going to be before more first base calls are reviewed? And then more and then even more? Umpires will start getting indecisive and will eventually become irrelevant.

And then the mile will turn into ten miles and once replay is even more firmly ensconced in the baseball landscape, there will inevitably be that one close ball/strike call which will decide a championship and the call will go out for balls and strikes to be handled by machine.

Back to your question: what will happen if a manager wigs out demanding replays? It'll slow down games...and it won't be nearly as much fun as when Earl Weaver or Billy Martin used to slow down games...because now it will involve technology. I suppose the bottom line is that manager will be tossed like in most any other situation where a manager goes off on an umpire. But what if the manager is right but the crew chief won't yield to his request? Then you've got a situation where they aren't even arguing about the game situation itself...but, instead, arguing about the extra layer of bureaucracy that will have invaded the game as to whether the questioned play should/shouldn't be reviewed by replay.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Baseball needs a pitch clock, similar to a shot clock in basketball or the play clock in football. The lethargic pace is what turns many people off. I think games are way too long already without replay.

Either that or call the third foul ball a strike. I've never understood why the first and second foul balls are called strikes, but then the batter can foul off 20 more pitches and the third strike is never called. What makes the last 20 different from the first two? Calling the third foul ball a strike would speed things up considerably.

They could also set an absolute time limit on the game. From first pitch, you have three hours (including all timeouts, practice pitches for relief pitches, and TV breaks), then the game is over.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There will never be a time limit on a baseball game. It's is one of the things that is so great about it. Also there is a clock on time between pitches but it is rarely enforced.There's a pitcher on the Rockies who really pushes the limit on that. It gets ridiculous sometimes with the guy.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Malcolm,The third foul ball is a strike when bunting. ;) Seriously, I think that having a batter foul off as many pitches as they can is what makes for some of the greatest batter-pitcher duals.

I completely disagree with there being a need for a clock, both for the game and for pitchers. I love the pace of the game, whether it be a two-hour game or a seven-hour game. I do wish they would do away with replay completely, however.

Tony,You must have been quite thrilled with that unlikely ending to the Phillies win last night. That was quite impressive.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was very surprised and happy with that ending. I keep a little page on FB on my mostly daily thoughts (sig).Chapman was off last night. His fastball on,y getting as high as 96.There is a report that the Phils Spanish radio announcer sent Chapman a box of 100 Cuban donuts or pastriesand Chapman was actually in his car before the game eating them, he was said to have eaten 18 of them.Unknown if he was affected by this during the game.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Cliff Lee has become a beloved figure down here.Even when he screws up like he did last night.They kept the camera on him and during then after the play his emotions were very high and obvious which is one of the reasons they love him here.As he was tagged out he was screaming at hi self about screwing up.In the dugout he was clearly upset, then when Kratz tied it he appeared to still be very upset knowing that would have won the game.After Galvis crooked the plate with the winning homer the entire team went to Galvis then immediately to Lee To beat him up as if HE just won the game.It was a great scene.It's refreshing to see a payer show this kind of emotion as opposed to the showboating Stuff some of the closers do when they get a save or when a player hits a home run and Takes five minutes to run around he bases or stares at it before going on his home run trot.I'm a huge fan of Chase Utley and if not for his last few years of being hurt, he could be a hall of fame candidate but he really bugs me with the way he looks on the field.If you didn't know better you would think he was miserable.He never smiles, never looks like he is having fun, just the opposite of Lee who always looks like he is having fun.Utley looks like he would rather be anywhere else, Lee looks like who is having a blast and does it without looking like a showboat.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
And last night's big Phils win doesnt carry over and they lose to the Marlins.

Marlins have 13 wins and the Phils have given them 4 of them.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Malcolm R said:
Either that or call the third foul ball a strike. I've never understood why the first and second foul balls are called strikes, but then the batter can foul off 20 more pitches and the third strike is never called. What makes the last 20 different from the first two? Calling the third foul ball a strike would speed things up considerably.

They could also set an absolute time limit on the game. From first pitch, you have three hours (including all timeouts, practice pitches for relief pitches, and TV breaks), then the game is over.
I think foul balls not counting as third strikes is for the same reason that the catcher has to throw to first if he drops a swinging third strike -- the defense must be in possession of the ball in order to make an out. Of course, this doesn't explain the bunting exception! I'd have to look up the reasoning behind that.

There cannot be an absolute time limit on a baseball game for the simple reason that a team can only score when it *doesn't* have possession of the ball (and therefore has no control over the clock).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.