What's new

2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Ockeghem said:
I love it as well, but I would strongly advocate that when position players are brought into a game to pitch, that instant replay is used for all balls and strikes -- but only for when a position player is brought into the game to pitch. And the replay ought not to be used for home run calls during this time.

;)
Oh, Lord!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Goodness, the Blue Jays and Rangers finished an eighteen-inning game earlier today, and the Marlins and Mets just concluded their twenty-inning game.

The Red Sox dropped the opener of their twin bill today, but are leading 2-0 early (top of the second inning) in the second game. I like our chances with Buchholz (8-0, 1.60 ERA) on the mound.

Go BoSox! :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was one odd game between the Angels and BoSox today, what with a strange error or two, a wild pitch resulting in two bases, some bad base running on the part of the Angels, another stolen base by Ellsbury, and several home runs -- a couple of which didn't seem like they had enough to get out of the park when they first left the bat.

Dempster was hardly electric, but at least he got the win as well as his 2,000th career strikeout (second most by a Canadian-born MLB pitcher). In any event, I could get used to the Hose taking two-of-three from everyone they face from now on. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was one wild game between the Rays and Red Sox last night, and it even included a bench-clearing rumble. When Lackey gave up two home runs in the bottom of the first inning, I figured we were in for a long night. It was only a matter of time before the Rays were going to tie this game. And truth be told, I actually thought that the Red Sox would lose this game when it went to extra innings. But Uehara and Morales were outstanding in extras last night, holding the Rays at bay and helping Boston to take this one in fourteen innings.

Bailey wasn't sharp at all, looking almost as inept in the bottom of the tenth inning as Cobb did for the Rays in the top of the first inning, when the Red Sox had their first eight players reach base. He had the bases loaded, and he walked in the tying run in the bottom of the tenth inning. So the Rays still had the bases loaded in the bottom of the tenth with Longoria(!) at the plate. Somehow Bailey and the Red Sox got out of this incredible jam when Longoria grounded into a double play (third to catcher to first -- Joyce out at home, Zobrist advanced to third, and Johnson advanced to second). The next batter fouled out.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Red Sox are currently playing the first of two games today with the Tampa Bay Rays at Fenway Park. Thus far, neither Aceves (Boston) or Archer (Tampa Bay) can get the ball over the plate. They've issued six walks (three each) in the first 1.5 innings. Aceves walked the bases loaded in the bottom of the first. Thankfully, the BoSox got out of it relatively unscathed with a double play ball.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Red Sox need a reliable closer. The past four or five relief appearances of Bailey have been mediocre at best. I've been hearing talks of the Tigers possibly wanting to pick up Papelbon if the Phillies are willing to part with him. I doubt he'd have any desire to come back to the Hose.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Phillies claim he's not on the table, but I don't think anyone is ever truly off the table.

How long until Hanrahan comes back?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron Silverman said:
The Phillies claim he's not on the table, but I don't think anyone is ever truly off the table.

How long until Hanrahan comes back?
Aaron,
About forty days ago (May 11, 2013) the report was that he was to have season-ending surgery.

"Red Sox reliever Joel Hanrahan said Saturday he will undergo season-ending surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon in his right arm and will be out six to nine months."

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9264895/joel-hanrahan-boston-red-sox-season

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
The Red Sox need a reliable closer. The past four or five relief appearances of Bailey have been mediocre at best.
Mediocre? That is incredibly generous. I would use the word "disastrous."

I would go the way of the Pirates. They peddle Hanrahan who then goes down. Then they pick up an affordable cast-off who has been having a great season for them.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, it's Uehara for now. I like his energy and his attitude. He has a lot of fun. I hope he does a good job in the role.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Kevin Hewell said:
Arguments about umpires' calls have been going on since the beginning of the Game. I think instant replay would ruin it.
UMPIRE c.1400, noumper, from Old French nonper "odd number, not even," in reference to a third person to arbitrate between two, from non "not" + per "equal," from Latin par. Initial -n- lost by mid-15c. due to faulty separation of a noumpere, heard as an oumpere. Originally legal, the gaming sense first recorded 1714 (in wrestling).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Nothing like ending the day with Vin and the Dodgers. I can't appreciate Mike Trout on the rival Angels, but I enjoy watching Yasiel Puig.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Nothing like ending the day with Vin and the Dodgers.
Amen. I don't follow the National League much at all...but I love that the MLB network airs these broadcasts which use the local announcers and gives us this time with Vin Scully. It is so incredibly wonderful.

Vin--who is in his 63rd year of calling Dodgers games--has it in his contract that he doesn't travel with the team when they go west of the Rockies. But I heard he traveled with them to New York this past week when they had their series at Yankee Stadium.

I would have loved to hear Yankee games called by Scully. More specifically, I would have loved for my son (a Yankee fan) to have heard that experience...since he has been raised on these bombastic announcers that the Yankees are so keen on hiring. It's one thing to be a "homer" for your own team...but these folks, over the years, have raised the art form to a new level.

I've got a Dodgers fan in my office who was thrilled that he was going to be able to watch some 7pm ET Dodgers games--knowing that they were all going to be aired on our local cable system. He said to me after the series was over, "now I know what you guys are always saying about how bad the Yankee announcers are."

Even my son, who has heard some Scully on mlb.com has showed me me video clips of brawls, let's say, in Dodger games which feature the calls of both team's announcers. Inevitably, the other team's announcers are frenetic and screaming and then he'll play the Scully cut in which he is a calm, descriptive presence never getting sucked into the emotions on the field.

I fear the end of an era when he retires.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm am not a fan of the newer generation of announcers. I hear the Pirates guy saying dopey things like raise the jolly rodger after wins and that dimwit Yankee caller with all the stupid phrases and every fly ball is the same call. It's far it's deep, it's....caught 30 feet in front of the warning track.If you have a smart phone or tablet, android or iPhone you can buy the MLB at bat app and listen and watch any game you want with b oth home and away announcers.I think all televised games are archived so you could probably go in and watch those Yankee/dodger games too.The end of an era came a few years ago here in Philly when Harry Kalas died.The Phils have two great PxP guys on the radio and an ordinary boring guy on tvand there has been a very vocal call here for the radio guys to be on tv.They are Scott Franske and former pitcher Larry Anderson and they are Great.Vin Scully is great and may be the last of the greatest we will ever hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.