What's new

2008 NCAA College Football Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Looks like 3 top 10 teams will lose this weekend as UGA is getting smoked at home 24-0. If UGA goes on to lose big tonight, they'll probably retire their Black jerseys.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh wow, make that 4 top 10 teams losing on this weekend: Wisconsin loses to Michigan after being up by 19 points.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Congrats to Bama for kicking our rears. You can scratch us from the National Championship hunt. And for the record, I never want to see the black jerseys again.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Yup. That game sucked, Alabama played good. I really hate fumble recoveries that get snatched up because we get a rushing the passer. I really hate when we punt for less than 20 yards, twice. I really hate when after a kickoff they start with the ball on the 40, because they caught it on the 20. I really hate when we can't play in the first half like we did in the second half. I'm glad it's over. SEC championship game is still a long ways away, if we play like we did saturday night we definately will not be going.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
No posts in this thread in 2 weeks? Yowsers.

3 of the top 4 teams fall today. That means the new top 3 will be:

1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Penn State

I wonder if Ohio State and Florida will be in the top 10 along with Oklahoma State?

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Meanwhile, further back in the pack, Boise State dispatched Southern Miss 24-7. We could rise to 8-9 and still not get a BCS bowl bid if BYU gets past Utah.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

I doubt that, I think the new top ten will be:
1. Texas
2. Penn State
3. Alabama

Yeah alabama is ranked high but they were on a bye, and I expect them to either maintain their number two ranking (leapfrogged by Texas) or drop one slot due to the dominance of Penn State's win.

Another OSU took down one of my teams this week. :frowning: Damn cowboys.

I'll console myself that although USC lost to one OSU they crushed the OSU that had a high ranking. :p

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I also think Texas will be ranked number 1 this week, as well, but I think Alabama will retain their #2 ranking. Since they were idle this week I think they will just stay where they are.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I think the AP Poll got it absolutely right this week while the coaches' poll is just crazy. I think jumping USC ahead of Oklahoma is ridiculous when you consider their respective losses. I can give Florida a pass since they did also beat a #3 LSU team (one which dropped all the way to 13 however, since they've pretty much been suspect ever since the Auburn game.

There's lots of football left to play however. I think someone else out of the Big 12 will beat Texas, and I think Penn State is bound to lose to somebody, probably Ohio State if anyone. Alabama has more than one loss ahead on their schedule as well.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Hate when it does that!

TCU has to knock off Utah and Boise State win out to get a trip to the Orange Bowl. A long trip, but I have relatives in Ft. Lauderdale.

The offensive line is a fire drill, but the defense is holding opponents under 10 pts a game outside of 32 to Oregon.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
And lets not forget the 35 points they gave up to Oklahoma, which could have been much, much more.

Maybe that's what you meant, but it was 35 points, not 32, and it was Oklahoma, not Oregon.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
That sigh of relief you hear is non-Ohio State fans now that the Buckeyes have virtually no shot at returning to the BCS title game.

I was working, but listened to the game on the radio. Now I just got home and saw the lowlights on ESPN and I have to ask:

When the Penn State player (The one on the ground; not the one who caused the fumble) punched away Pryor's fumble, was that legal? I thought that a player couldn't advance a fumble by hitting it with their hands.

Regardless, I'm not going to blame that play for the loss. Rather, Ohio State reverted back to their Purdue victory offense that didn't score at all instead of the offense last week that put up 45 points on Michigan State.

How loud will the calls for Rich Rodriguez's firing get now that Michigan is 2-5?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I wouldn't shed any tears if they did fire him, but there is no way that is happening. He just signed his finalized contract this week and the penalty to get rid of him is pretty steep (especially considering getting him also came at a steep cost). As a lifelong Michigan fan, I've never experienced anything like this. I wasn't old enough to remember the last time they missed a bowl game.

Anyone watch that OSU-Texas game?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have never heard of such a rule. I don't think there is any distinction on how a ball is fumbled and can be advanced, dropped or ripped out of a player's hands.

As far as Rich Rodriguez's career at Michigan he is going to be given a pass this year because he is trying to instill a new system with Carr's players. If his team is 2-5 in two years, then you will hear screams to fire him.

As a Big Ten fan I was glad to see Ohio State get beat. I didn't want to see them in the BCS championship game and be an embarrassment to the Big Ten conference for a third straight year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

No calls this year. UM lost a lot of players from last season, Rodriguez had a short recruiting season, and it will take time to get the right players to run his radically different system. As Marty said, if this happens two years from now Rodriguez will be gone. This season, though, he gets a free pass.

That being said, this has been the toughest season I've experienced as a Michigan fan (similar to David). My memories go back to about 1970, and this season is by far the worst during that time. I really wanted Les Miles as coach, but that wasn't to be. Hopefully Rodriguez will turn things around over the next two seasons. He is having success recruiting, so there is hope.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

Unless there's some sort of meltdown, or team mutiny, I doubt that any HC gets the yank after the first year - especially one from a top-tier program.

As a Husker fan, I know what Michigan fans are going through. Nebraska had gone to a bowl every year of my life, so I thought it was pretty automatic. Enter Bill Callahan in 2004, and he quickly achieved the 'impossible'. It will be interesting to see Michigan in a few years when RR's system's installed. RR has a positive record in college ball, whereas BC was an NFL guy- barely even a HC. But, will the team, and the fans, buy into the system. That's the question.

Quick note - Michigan was closing on Nebraska's record of 35 consecutive bowl appearance with 33. Florida State is next at 26.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks