What's new

2006 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit

I knew that was coming. :)

The answer is somewhat convoluted.

Our OL problems stemmed from three things: injuries, coaching, and talent.

We led the league in games lost due to injury last year, and the area hardest hit was the OL. It was so bad, that the starting C in week 1 was a player who wasn't even on the roster at the start of training camp. We also started Fred Wakefield at RT for several games, even though he played on the DL the year before. Our rookie 4th round pick was also pressed into service before he was ready.

As for coaching, in a move that still baffles Cardinal fans, Green made Everett Lindsay the OL coach last year, even though he was playing on that same line the year before. Lindsay was fired and replaced with Steve Loney, a well respected coach who is expected to light a fire under a bunch of guys he has called out as lazy. We'll see.

As for talent, getting the injured players back should help. I also expect the Cards to use their 2nd and 3rd round picks in this years draft on OL. Thankfully, this draft is deep at that position, though if we're forced to use them early in the season we'll be in trouble.

Yes, the OL is a concern, but with just a little luck it should be much improved over last year.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I'd say nothing would prevent such a clause, the trick is that if all that money becomes guaranteed then you have to account for it against the salary cap. This is what I think, the contract as structured is designed to get Hutchinson to Minnesota without Seattle being able to match. Once he's in Minnesota and the contract can be renegotiated (not for 1 full year BTW) they will do some pretty big restructuring.

That pretty much covers every possibility. What else could've gone wrong?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Jamal Lewis signs with Baltimore, I guess the Anderson report was inaccurate. That one came from the AP last night.

The Dolphins made a few signings today.

The Rams got Will Witherspoon, I think that's a good signing.

Darren Howard leaves the Saints for the Eagles, which is what LaCharles Bentley was going to do before Cleveland stepped in.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I still think the Cards biggest mistake is letting Josh go for Warner. He just can't hold up for a full year. Arizona could be contending for the playoffs while the kittens, I mean Lions could be contending for another top ten pick.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
While watching the NFL last season I thought the two offenses were almost indistinguishable. :) Sorry, bad joke. I know what you are saying but I thought it was kind of funny. Its like me comparing the Chiefs defense to the Steelers because the employ the same scheme.

Speaking of being a bad year for free agents I feel bad for the poor schmucks that pick up KC's castaways, especially Eric Warfield. That guy will drive you nuts!!!

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
The Redskins have also signed Adam Archuleta (joing Christian Fauria, Brandon Lloyd, and Randle El) to a lucrative deal. Can someone explain how in the hell they sign boat-loads of players every off season even though they're over the cap? I can't wait for this to catch up with them.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit

Actually, we were #8 in total offense, and #1 in passing offense, but I get your point. Our problems (to put in mildly) were in the red-zone and short yardage, which is why we also led the league in field goal attempts. We're hoping Edge can help in these two areas.

And let's be honest, name me an NFL team where JJ Arrington and Marcel Shipp would start. And now they won't be starting in AZ either...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

He'll be a Raider by the end of the week then?

As for Washington, I think that for some of these guys they get low base salaries in the first year and inflated salaries in future years which is why they're always over the cap going in to every offseason. Plus, any insentives earned are what are called cash over cap, which is how a team like Washington will actually have a payroll this year that is higher than the salary cap.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Washington uses the loophole that teams can take roster bonuses and make them signing bonuses essentially meaning that one time large payment can be spread across the cap. It's how alot of teams "restructure" to get around the cap.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So, with Jamal Lewis resigning, I believe all the free agent running backs are now off the market:

Shaun Alexander - resigned w/ Seattle
Edge - Arizona
JLewis - resigned with Baltimore
Ahman Green - resigned with Packers
Chester Taylor - Minnesota
DeShaun Foster - resigned w/ Carolina
Mike Anderson - Baltimore
Ron Dayne (if you consider him a RB ;) ) - resigned with Denver

The only one left I can think of is Davenpooper from the Packers. Am I missing anyone worth mentioning?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Antonio Bryant is now a 49er. Personally if I were the 49'ers I would have stuck it out with Lloyd. Bryant is a whiny premadonna.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
And the Lions enter the market helping themselves at the position that has obviously been neglected over the past few years.....are you ready....suspense is killing you isn't it....wide reciever. Thats right, the Lions signed Corey Bradford to a four year seven million dollar deal. Whew, glad they got him, they were very very thin at that position. :rolleyes

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait for that first ever 10 receiver set. The fans see that Harrington is still the QB and instantly insist on the first ever 11 receiver set.

Drew Brees is expected to make his decision today. If he has a wonderlic score higher than 6 he'll pick Miami.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was worried that the Lions wouldn't have enough mediocre receivers for the upcoming season. I can sleep well tonight knowing that Corey Bradford will help fill that void. :)

Actually, not to give the team a break, but Bradford will be replacing Kevin Johnson as the "veteran" receiver on this team. Considering their previous attempts were Bill Schroeder, Tai Streets and Kevin Johnson, Mr. Bradford should start making his retirement plans right now. He'll be out of football in 2007 if he's as successful as those previous signings.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Endless pocket book of Daniel Snyder keeps opening. He spent 30 million over 6 years for Andre Carter of the 49ers.

The Cowboys pick up an underrated LB from the Jags but they are keeping quiet. I bet the other cowboys fans are biting their nails in anticipation on what move they will make next. They still need a kicker, an offensive tackle, another linebacker, safety and possibly a receiver if they get rid of Keyshawn.
At this point they have lots of money to spend and the players are falling off the board quick.

Some good value players are there but if they want to make a splash they need to start opening their checkbooks.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Washington does this every year, but it looks like this might be the year that it works. They were a playoff team last year and now they have a pretty damn good safety tandom and some interesting offensive weapons. They are free agency winners right now, overpaying will do that for ya, but in years past it hasn't worked on the field in the fall. It may this coming fall however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks