What's new

2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY - IN 3-D? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm all for any opportunity to see "2001: A Space Odyssey" on the big screen, especially if projected on film. Last time I saw a print for this was back in 2010 or 2011 -- haven't had the opportunity to see it on film in the NYC area since then. Unfortunately, every time it's been back since then, it's been on a DCP that looks and feels rather lifeless to me by comparison.

I'm a huge 3D fan, and I'd definitely enjoy getting to see a nicely-done conversion of this title. It wouldn't replace the 2D version, but it would be something I'd love to see. First 2D movie I tried on my TV's 2D-to-3D setting was this one. IMAX would be great, too, provided it was 15/70 IMAX prints, but that doesn't seem likely as those projectors are scheduled to be mothballed at the end of the year from what I've read.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's cool that everyone is excited for a masterpiece made by a master director being replaced by a 3D conversion for the sole purpose of making a ton of bucks. It's so awesome that Warners can boost their bottom line this way. YAY MOVIES!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
If the 3D would look good, then it isn't all about "bucks". It's all about money if they would create some cheap conversion etc.I would love to see this in 3D. But the conversion has to be REALLY good. If it isn't, there's no point.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Randall Ogren said:
From In70mm.com rumour mill: "A 3D IMAX version of "2OO1: A Space Odyssey" is in progress"Douglas Trumbull will be at the Seattle Cinerama on May 9th for 70mm showings of 2001 and Brainstorm. Would like to hear what he's got to say!
No mention of 3D on the rumor page

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Jari K said:
If the 3D would look good, then it isn't all about "bucks". It's all about money if they would create some cheap conversion etc.
It's all about the bucks. "How can we make more money from our product?" and the answer is "re-release older titles that are past their shelf date with a new feature" and that feature is 3D, obviously.

If it happens, let's see how many showing the original version gets 5 years after. Typically, "Wizard of OZ" played locally about once a year. Now it appears only as 3D. So yeah, they do get replaced if you can't see the original version anymore. (outside of previously owned copies).

It doesn't matter how well done the 3D conversion is, it's still a conversion of an iconic film that doesn't need it. I guess old OZ did make enough to at least justify the conversation.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
For some people, 3D is "thread". For me it's just another, alternate way to watch a movie. Ultimately it's my choice and I'm usually pretty happy if the studios are letting me choose. I don't see that anything is "replaced".I love 2001. I saw it with my sister on the big screen and cherish that memory probably forever. But yeah, I've no problem of seeing the film next time in 3D. But, it's just a rumor at this point, nothing more.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
dpippel said:
I have this recurring dream that Criterion gets their hands on the rights, does a complete restoration,
I keep wishing for the same with Spartacus but we all know Universal need to spend the money and not Criterion.

Forget a 3D conversion of 2001, just re-scan at 8K then do all the necessary corrections and put out on blu ray in 2D as filmed, oh and while they are doing that maybe they can also re-scan Mutiny On The Bounty and Battle Of The Bulge and re-release those one's too. ( Now i am dreaming too )

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm fine with 2001 in 3-D as long as Stanley Kubrick approves of it.

*crickets chirping*

I think Warner's conversion of The Wizard of Oz was wrongheaded, though with good intentions. The problem I see is that it's putting 3-D as a priority rather than optimal quality. Seeing Lawrence of Arabia in 4K on a huge screen was a fantastic experience. Why not just remaster 2001 in high resolution with the same standards? I'm fine with even the "one day" showing rather than a week. It was a big disappointment that the only way to see The Wizard of Oz in a theater was to see it converted to 3-D and for a ridiculous ticket price.

robbiesreels

Agent
Real Name
Bob Hermann
According to 70mm.com
THE 70MM RUMOUR MILL
70mm_in_color_small.jpg
MAY 2014

A 3D IMAX version of "2OO1: A Space Odyssey" is in progress

Answer to February's Ultra Panavision 70 quiz soon to be published. Any more who want to have a go at it? 3 correct replies so far.

Central European cinema manager finds truckload of 70mm prints on his door step, including several IMAX films. Theatre manager considers installing IMAX if he can find a used projector. "This could be a lot of fun", he says. Sensation in movie world, leaves 70mm fans exstatic in excitement, and several experts in Berlin all agrees "This is like finding the lost Ark, all wrapped up nicely by TNT".

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
robbiesreels said:
According to 70mm.com
THE 70MM RUMOUR MILL
70mm_in_color_small.jpg
MAY 2014

A 3D IMAX version of "2OO1: A Space Odyssey" is in progress

Answer to February's Ultra Panavision 70 quiz soon to be published. Any more who want to have a go at it? 3 correct replies so far.

Central European cinema manager finds truckload of 70mm prints on his door step, including several IMAX films. Theatre manager considers installing IMAX if he can find a used projector. "This could be a lot of fun", he says. Sensation in movie world, leaves 70mm fans exstatic in excitement, and several experts in Berlin all agrees "This is like finding the lost Ark, all wrapped up nicely by TNT".
Someone seems to have made a correction to the page, because the line about 2001 is not there when I look at it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
KMR said:
Someone seems to have made a correction to the page, because the line about 2001 is not there when I look at it.
It's on the home page under rumors. It's not on the rumor page itself.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
A digital version of 2001 is coming to theaters in UK in November. Not in 3D, it seems. Does anyone have technical information about what WB did for this release? A 4K DCP from existing scans? New scans? Any new restoration work done?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Michel_Hafner said:
A digital version of 2001 is coming to theaters in UK in November. Not in 3D, it seems. Does anyone have technical information about what WB did for this release? A 4K DCP from existing scans? New scans? Any new restoration work done?
I would surely hope that they revisited 2001 before putting it out in 4k - if the Blu-ray version is anything to go by then the existing scans are nothing that one would want to put out in 4k.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
The new trailer is fantastic! Have seen it a dozen times by now, and it always gives me goosebumps!

And to think that I didn't like this film the first time I saw it.

It was when i was 18, and saw a VHS recorded from TV. From one point on i was bored, and fast forwarded!! :P
Until I bought the Bluray a couple of years ago and saw it again, and I trully appreciated it.
I really think that you have to have some maturity before watching certain films.
Apparently i didn't have that maturity at 18 (although I already was mature enough in other aspects in comparison with people my age)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks