What's new

2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY - IN 3-D? (1 Viewer)

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
SS NORMANDIE said:
3-D would definitely be interesting. I'm anxiously waiting for the day when WB announces a new special edition Blu Ray containing (only as a supplement) the 17-19 minutes of footage removed after the film's premiere, which was discovered within a Kansas salt mine vault a few years back and proclaimed to be in pristine condition.
I doubt we'll ever see it.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Brian McP said:
Dream on folks, it'll never happen.....

Somehow I don't think the Stanley Kubrick estate would dare let any tinkering around of any of his movies without his says so (and he's out of town at the moment, currently he's between Jupiter and Io)

Sad to say also, compared to all the other 3D product that one can access, a coverted "2001" would probably be pretty underwhelming, compared to something like "Gravity" -- if I was ever going to put "2001" back in theatres, it would be as an IMAX presentation, it would be up to MGM and the Kubrick folks as to whether or not in 3D.

2001 in IMAX? You must be joking. The film was made for Cinerama which is NOTHING like Imax. IMAX is the most boring of all widescreen processes. It is even worse now that they have made the screens smaller by putting them into cinema complexes. It is now a case of Imax being likened to THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN. Being digital,it lacks the quality that it once had in 70mm . It is even worse if shown on a 3D Imax screen as that makes the picture darker,Ever noticed how dark the color white is? Also the stupidity of starting out on a smaller Imax screen and later going to the full size screen during a movie,is an abomination.How distracting is that? To-day's audiences have probably never seen a film that is not digital. If they had they then they would see the vast difference between film and digital.

John Stockton

Second Unit
2001 and Vertigo are my 2 all time favorite films and HELL NO I do not want to see either of them bastardized with 3D or IMAX.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Didn't Douglas Trumbull plan to film a documentary about this film before Warner Bros. killed it? Now, that would make a helluva suppliment!

davincihorse

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
+1Come on Warner Bros! and if they can bring HAL 9000 back for Commentary track when the 3D Blu edition gets released. I know couple folks who still never saw it in 70mm rereleases.Thank you again RAH for your suggestion.
Robert Harris said:
Yes. 3D, black & white, 1.75:1.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Criterion's earliest laserdiscs is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I still have mine. The supplements would surely seem kind of odd by today's fluffy standards to be included.

If Janus Films and Criterion really are doing A Hard Day's Night blu-ray (They did the laserdisc back in the day), there's a faint hope Criterion might be able to do the same for 2001.

I thought the current blu ray is very nice. I haven't seen it on my new larger display yet, so maybe I'll be disappointed when I do.

And just for the fun of it, if Warner did do a 3D conversion of 2001, it seems the only part or parts that make sense is the Stargate sequence. And perhaps the sequence when the bone is tossed up and we see the warheads in orbit and then the Space Clipper sequence heading to the space station. Oh, and perhaps Dr. Floyd's pen that's floating in the clipper.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"...seems the only part or parts that make sense.."3D is not something that only "works" in certain type of scenes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There are certainly a lot of terrific shots that Kubrick did with some unusual lenses where there's extreme static shots of Poole and Bowman on the Discovery. Those might be fun to see converted. Then there's Poole running on the centrifuge and Poole out on the antenna. Maybe when Floyd is on the Orion and we see the flight attendants going about the shuttle could he converted to 3D. Maybe when the monolith on the moon emits the strong signal and everyone is covering their ears over their helmets. But my comment above was for shots that will have a reason to be made into 3D and the only one that makes sense from a story point is as we see Dave going into the Stargate. The Ultimate Trip. That's going out of our normal state and our plane of understanding and into the alien world.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The only way to this film is in Cinerama, I saw this at Bradford in 70mm Cinerama with Dolby SR 6 -Track Mag stereo.I saw this twice last year at the BFI Southbank in 70mm but the screens in NFT 1 and NFT 3 are to small.A big curved Cinerama screen only, forgot the rest plus Imax is the wrong ratio.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
DP 70 said:
The only way to this film is in Cinerama, I saw this at Bradford in 70mm Cinerama with Dolby SR 6 -Track Mag stereo.I saw this twice last year at the BFI Southbank in 70mm but the screens in NFT 1 and NFT 3 are to small.A big curved Cinerama screen only, forgot the rest plus Imax is the wrong ratio.
Well I should never watch the film again then. Only a small fraction pf the population has a Cinerama sceen available.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
John Stockton said:
2001 and Vertigo are my 2 all time favorite films and HELL NO I do not want to see either of them bastardized with 3D or IMAX.
Your 2 all time favourite films? You could not have seen many truly classic films! Only one English speaking film is listed in my top 15 films of all time and that is LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. (Uniterd Kingdom) Maybe we should start a forum for favourite films seen?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
cinerama10 said:
Your 2 all time favourite films? You could not have seen many truly classic films! Only one English speaking film is listed in my top 15 films of all time and that is LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. (Uniterd Kingdom) Maybe we should start a forum for favourite films seen?
This is the most hilarious post of the day.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm all for a 3D conversion. It is a possibility that a conversion could bring new interest to this film by younger generations.

jayleaf

Grip
Real Name
Rob
dpippel said:
Forget the 3D (although it would be cool). I would just like to have a properly mastered, 4K scan Blu-ray release of 2001!!! What we have right now is far from stellar, no pun intended.
agreed...i was not impressed by the quality of the blue ray release and i'm waiting patiently for a top of the line version, befitting this extraordinary film. as for 3d i'm not opposed but it would have to be done properly. i'd love to see criterion get their hands on 2001.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
jayleaf said:
agreed...i was not impressed by the quality of the blue ray release and i'm waiting patiently for a top of the line version, befitting this extraordinary film. as for 3d i'm not opposed but it would have to be done properly. i'd love to see criterion get their hands on 2001.

Maybe they will release it on redray? It will eventually replace bluray. Already films are being produced in redray and the first compatible tvs will be on sale maybe this year.

Randall Ogren

Auditioning
Real Name
Randall Ogren
From In70mm.com rumour mill: "A 3D IMAX version of "2OO1: A Space Odyssey" is in progress"Douglas Trumbull will be at the Seattle Cinerama on May 9th for 70mm showings of 2001 and Brainstorm. Would like to hear what he's got to say!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks