What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Searchers -- in High Definition (2 Viewers)

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Superior in what way?
Coolidge Norelco AAII projectors are at practically zero degree pitch and aligned with screen center owing to the booth being at floor level - as compared to Somerville's extremely steep projection angle from rear of balcony with attendant keystoning, image clipping and focus deficiency. Don't really want to slam the house. It's a treasure with great people running it.

Attachments

• somerville balcony.jpg
    somerville balcony.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 35

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Hearing the colors are not as saturated as the viewer thought they should be is a bit alarming to me - anyone who has seen an IB print of the searchers with proper projection knows just how saturated the reds and blues were. Then again, I know nothing about the projection at the "new" Egyptian.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Coolidge Norelco AAII projectors are at practically zero degree pitch and aligned with screen center owing to the booth being at floor level - as compared to Somerville's extremely steep projection angle from rear of balcony with attendant keystoning, image clipping and focus deficiency. Don't really want to slam the house. It's a treasure with great people running it.
Point taken. Haven’t been to either venue in aeons. Angle of projection can be problematic, as the image must be derived from a trapezoid.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Point taken. Haven’t been to either venue in aeons. Angle of projection can be problematic, as the image must be derived from a trapezoid.
I feel the need to emphasize that the Somerville Theater is a gem in the community and does some excellent current and retro programming. Their equipment is top-shelf and every presentation is superbly executed. It's only the structural parameters that impose a suboptimal image in the main house. Their 4K digital projector is sited at the lower front of the balcony, nicely aligned with the screen. I would happily see The Searchers there if shown in that format.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I feel the need to emphasize that the Somerville Theater is a gem in the community and does some excellent current and retro programming. Their equipment is top-shelf and every presentation is superbly executed. It's only the structural parameters that impose a suboptimal image in the main house. Their 4K digital projector is sited at the lower front of the balcony, nicely aligned with the screen. I would happily see The Searchers there if shown in that format.

I really miss the Coolidge, the Brattle, and the Somerville (and the Harvard Film Archives and the MFA Film Program) now that I live in NH. I just can't seem to manage to make it down to the Boston area.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I practically lived in those places in my 20s - I miss them as well!

I still live in the area and almost never get to any of those theaters anymore. Age and having kids will do that. I haven't been to the Coolidge since the remodel.

Was about 30 years ago I went on my first date with my now-wife at that theater.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
There are two coming up in LA that are mentioned in this thread. Presumably there will be others as Warner works with local rep theaters and film bookers to firm up dates.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I think that we're reading a little too much into that statement. Making it "available to exhibition in North America" doesn't necessarily imply a re-release of any kind, limited or otherwise. All that statement is saying is that the 70mm print(s) will be available for any repertory house that wants to show it. Not unlike any other 70mm print of a catalogue title that shows up randomly at various theatres across the country
There are two coming up in LA that are mentioned in this thread. Presumably there will be others as Warner works with local rep theaters and film bookers to firm up dates.
I think they added an additional screening at the Aero already.

mBen989

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
So is the new 70 print a film-out of the DCP or is it some fourth generation monstrosity like Nolan's print of 2001?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks