What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - High Noon -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fred Zinnemann's 1952 western, High Noon, is being released in 4k by Kino.

For those unaware, it's a relatively short (85 minutes), black & white western.

And one of the finest films ever made.

Created from a 4k scan of the OCN, it's a gorgeous 4k UHD representation of the film, which excerpt for some minor digital anomalies appears much akin to a 35mm print, especially at a NSD.

Beautiful gray scale, very nice resolution, which hasn't been over-sharpened, great blacks. Overall a beautiful package, so I'd not wait for the 8k release.

Did I mention Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly, Thomas Mitchell, Lloyd Bridges, Katy Jurado, Otto Kruger, Lon Chaney, jr., Henry Morgan and Lee Van Clef (yes, in a western).

Score by Dimitri Timokin.

Screenplay by Carl Foreman.

Produced by Stanley Kramer.

Image – 9 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 2

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/High-Noon-4K...1713782477&sprefix=high+noon+4k,aps,90&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm assuming that this is the same 4K master that was used for the Olive Films Signature Edition in 2016? The picture on that is lovely, so what we're getting - if we upgrade to the Kino 4K UHD - is better grain-rendering, encoding and an improved grey-scale.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm assuming that this is the same 4K master that was used for the Olive Films Signature Edition in 2016? The picture on that is lovely, so what we're getting - if we upgrade to the Kino 4K UHD - is better grain-rendering, encoding and an improved grey-scale.
and obviously better overall data throughput.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I would be very careful with the assumption that grain rendering will be improved.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As to grain rendering, those funky little halide crystals are neither front and center, nor in one’s face as they were in some of the earlier b/w MGM-based releases. It appears more toward the look of a print, and not direct from the OCN.

We want the print look, which is more velvety.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Target is constantly updating me to inform me the arrival date for my High Noon 4K pre-order is being delayed
Clock Tick Tock GIF by MOODMAN
:(

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

Grady

Agent
Fred Zinnemann's 1952 western, High Noon, is being released in 4k by Kino.

Beautiful gray scale, very nice resolution, which hasn't been over-sharpened, great blacks. Overall a beautiful package, so I'd not wait for the 8k release.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/High-Noon-4KUHD-4K-UHD/dp/B0CVJGQ22J/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2C0R9SK2D2309&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.pfuy52oU2NsKG2BqJsu06DHpMT4rGvLgw8FQIs1M3cFOEdhgtYjY4aODftEnveVi4CPsJ0v3fuO1zWNF4QND8YzD9_cVElIemXYO7frWCbZJcGPepn7a9ai1T8iZCcJRJBK1iuPIig0JxX6YfzJYb7-Yz-bw5W_oldtCEj8chvo.0_HOIazGH_kjnwzUNxsExixk1Y343PkqSU5-9IPr-Og&dib_tag=se&keywords=high+noon+4k&qid=1713782477&sprefix=high+noon+4k,aps,90&sr=8-1
My ophthalmologist said for just a little more treatment I should wait for the 8K. Should I believe her or you?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for that. I hadn't known it was delayed from the originally announced April 16th date, and was disappointed that I didn't see any copies at Bull Moose the other day.
The same supply chain issues that have delayed Warner Archive titles has done the same with Kino releases in which several April titles have been moved into the month of May.

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just a beautiful looking disc after my first of three viewings because I will listen to Alan K. Rode audio commentary then Julie Kirgo’s commentary this weekend.
Alright, I just finished the Kirgo's commentary this morning after listening to Rode's commentary last night. I prefer Rode's commentary, but Kirgo did offer some information that I wasn't aware of.

After watching this movie again in its entirety three times in less than 24 hours, I'm more convinced than ever that this is not only best western ever filmed but one of the best movies ever made. For many years, I thought The Searchers was the best western ever made. However, in the last 20 years or so, my opinion changed due to changes I observed in our own society that kind of mimics some similar issues conveyed in High Noon. With that said, there are some westerns like The Searchers that I enjoy watching more than High Noon. Anyhow, Sergio Leone must have been a big fan of High Noon, based on some of his camera shots in his westerns. It should have won the Oscar for Best Picture over The Greatest Show on Earth. Fred Zinneman should have won Best Director over John Ford for The Quiet Man. Don't get me wrong, The Quiet Man is one of my favorite all-time movies, but I think High Noon was a better movie. As to Best Screenplay in which The Bad and the Beautiful won, I think it could be debated whether Carl Foreman should have won the Oscar. It's close but an argument could be made.

Below is the Bonus Material on the Blu-ray which is derived from the same source as the 4K/UHD. Also, on the 4K/UHD is the audio commentaries of Alan K. Rode and Julie Kirgo.

1714835237727.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I already have the Olive disc, but I’m ordering this 4K of High Noon along with the 4K Rio Bravo. As discussed in another thread, John Wayne wasn’t a fan of High Noon so he made Rio Bravo.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I already have the Olive disc, but I’m ordering this 4K of High Noon along with the 4K Rio Bravo. As discussed in another thread, John Wayne wasn’t a fan of High Noon so he made Rio Bravo.
Rio Bravo was a bit of a Garden Party compared to High Noon ... ;)

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Rio Bravo was a bit of a Garden Party compared to High Noon ... ;)
I finally watched the 4k of RIO BRAVO last night. It looked beautiful and is great. Yes, the comparisons of RB and HN are interesting. And those differences/similarities remind me of a quote from another director known for westerns - Budd Boetticher : "The characters are more important to me than the ideas,' says Boetticher, 'because it's through the mind and the sayings and the actions of the characters that the ideas are born. I'm not concerned with what people stand for, I'm concerned with what they do about it."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks